Character
    Naveryn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 33

New summoner :D

Hi summoners!

I just unlocked summoner and I'm planning to take it to 99. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to share? Stuff like get lilith's rod at 50ish, carby costs less MP than other avatars... well of course I know those two but I'd like to hear any other tips and tricks anyone has ^^
    (0)
    Last edited by Ris; 09-10-2014 at 06:13 AM.

Player
    Chatoyant Staff is -3Perp for all avatars, Fenrir is one of your better solo levelling buddies, throw sparks at skill.
    (1)

Character
    Rubican
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    check out the SMN pages over at FFXIAH.com for gear set ideas and such. SMN is an awesome job!!
    (0)

If you expect to be in demand at endgame or it to feel like a main series Summoner job, prepare to be disappointed.

But as a standalone job in XI, its wonderful, I for one never get bored of the endless joy meleeing with my staff and pet bring, and the weird looks others give.
    (1)

Character
    Artharian
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I find Summoner to be great solo as well as a heap of fun with my friends - though I have to agree with Karbuncle about endgame.

In some (admittedly limited) situations I find spirits useful; great to replenish your MP with Elemental Siphon and if, like me, you don't have the fastest reactions around, useful to throw out to take the heat when your Avatar gets one-shotted! :-) (I'm looking at you Evil Oscar!)

Quite a few NMs (Abyssea in particular) are solo-able and with the advent of iLevel stuff (I understand it that the level of the item equipped in your ammo slot affects the level of your Avatar) even more so.

Also it looks so good!

Art.
    (1)

Character
    Naveryn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 33
    Not worried about endgame, I'm only really planning to play long enough to finish all the MSQs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Selindrile View Post
    Chatoyant Staff is -3Perp for all avatars, Fenrir is one of your better solo levelling buddies, throw sparks at skill.
    Fenrir is so OP. He outdamages and steals hate away from all my trust NPCs even at level 20. And for these event things with the slimes and spriggans, I just toss him out and let him destroy the little goo and furballs, and Fenny is free at level 1 :D

Is there any good -perpetuation or refresh gear before level 50? Seems like that's where it all starts... (I'm gonna miss my destrier when I get to level 31 ; ; )
    (0)

Character
    Hunibubu
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Actually in endgame SMN can be quite viable depending on the situation. My ls takes SMN with them every so often for specific battles. There may be situations where other jobs are preferred but we're not an elitist ls, and if there is a fight where SMN isn't going to work and the person needs something from it and has no other job we'll either try our best to accommodate them or if it's an orb/BCNM fight they sit out the fight in an alliance and take what they need when the fight is over. We learned from experience that SMN does not fare well vs Kam'lanaut V2 as the BP rage abilities are far too slow.

SMN are extremely useful in WKR and WOE and can be quite useful in skirmish. I don't know about skirmish II though but I would guess they'd be as good as any ranged class to avoid being hit by aoe/charm and the same goes for delve. You do however need to get the absolute best gear you can get on hand which means AF/Relic reforged +1, empyrean +2/accessories, skirmish +1, JSE staff, delve/plasm gear, VNM gear, WOE gear, and JSE cape/rings. It can get pretty expensive.
    (0)
    Last edited by geekgirl101; 10-22-2014 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl101 View Post
    I don't know about skirmish II though.
    I had never done it before, but I convinced someone to take me as a SMN, They were quite happy I was there. I was a decoy, a DD, a Support. They loved me. :3 So we can help even with that kind of stuff, and I got a ilvl119 dagger for it
    (1)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]