Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    This isn't from that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Selindrile View Post
    I was happy to be whatever the party wanted on VW, playing on the back-line didn't mean I got any less rewards, I'd much rather "back-line Blu" than "not-invited Blu".

But yeah, at the end of the day, I think most people just want to be able to participate in these events, even if they might not get to do it the way they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olor View Post
    This. All of this. Would rather be invited on BLU to proc than not invited on BLU at all. It meant I could actually do the current endgame, on one of my favourite jobs. Versus now, when I don't get invited at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Calatilla View Post
    I totally get what you're saying and I agree as I said, I didn't mind being a proc-blu to VW, sometimes I prefer it because I can just idle away in the background.
    (Quotes shortened for readability, can click the links to read the originals with context.)

Also I liked VW, glowing equipment with great stats was awesome even if the content was super short and spammy.

But homogenizing the jobs like other MMOs sounds just terrible to me... I love that they are so different, I'd rather sacrifice balance (and we have) to keep them different, but that's not to say we shouldn't try to balance them as much as we can, without losing that uniqueness.
    (1)
    Last edited by Selindrile; 09-03-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Player
    I don't agree with job homogenization*, but I feel if you're invited because of some gimmick.. or because in this case you'd increase drop rates.. That's like putting a bandage over a infected gangrenous wound. A temporary fix to a much deeper problem. I could have probably come up with a better metaphor.

There's 2 things Square can do at this point, just come out and say they don't want certain jobs doing certain content, which is the case, or address some of the finer issues with job balance. It's not fair to inhibit other people with jobs that'll do a whole lot less damage for the sake of inclusiveness. And don't take this as me saying "just forget those jobs!" I advocate them buffing the jobs to be closer to a baseline. At least then you could set up your own party on those jobs.

Being a proc BLU was bad. It didn't let you be a blue mage, it let you be a proccer in blue mage garbs.

*(to the extent I don't think jobs should play the same, but should do similar damage)
    (1)
    Last edited by Balloon; 09-03-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Player
    You clean/bandage the wound, change the bandage as necessary, you take antibiotics.

You use the gimmick to increase job diversity short term changing the gimmicks to keep them appropriate, you keep working on job balance for the long haul.

Yep, all seems appropriate to me.
    (1)

Player
    Metaphors aren't my fortay.

I think if you're making content around gimmicks that force you to take lesser used jobs you're doing both camps a disservice. You either have to make sure the content is easy enough to be tackled by those jobs (because let's face it, you're not going to be doing as much as a SAM) or have it be the BLU case, where you're there just to do one specific thing and not much else.

If the gimmick is easy to ignore, like having better drop rates, it'll just be ignored. If it's not easy to ignore then it just creates obnoxious content. You'll just create groups of people that are thinking "Oh well gee, this content would be fun if I didn't have to invite all these superflous jobs, and wait for them to do all their gimmicks." I'm all for inclusiveness, but I don't really like the idea of forcing inclusiveness.

I just really think that forcing square sized pegs into rounded holes is not the answer. Neither is sanding down those holes to be more round. I've drifted off into metaphor land again.
    (1)
    Last edited by Balloon; 09-03-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Character
    Dazusu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    It seems like the only real solution is homogenization; as much as people will largely disagree with it - it's the only true way to make all jobs "equally balanced"; Else each job will be invited for its gimmick (outside of the truly powerful jobs - of which they are few and far between); that's how FFXI is and has always been.

In the real world case where you can make choices from a variety of truly different jobs; people will always find the optimal setup - and human nature is to go with the optimal setup / be as efficient as possible. Remove that variation/difference between jobs and it is no longer an issue.

WoW did it many years ago (and lost a lot of players as a result). Prior to WoW's homogenization of classes; the game was much more dynamic and fun (IMO) - but now, every class in the game has a place in end-game content. They are all homogenized to a degree; with some small differences to make them 'unique' (I quote that because its minimal at best)

For the record I'm against homogenization of jobs - and I am in the group that says "Keep it as it is, its worked for FFXI this long, no reason it can't continue to work".

In all the job adjustments SE has ever carried about; certain jobs have never been on top (damage wise in a group setting) - or anywhere close, and never will be. This isn't going to change now. (I'm looking at you SMN, DNC, BST, THF). I think this is mainly because SE has said many times in the past "We intended these jobs for solo play / small group play"; insinuating they were never really intended for large groups/end-game (minus THF from that)

Just my thoughts on it - I don't care either way.
    (3)
    Last edited by Dazusu; 09-03-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Player
    I simply don't agree, in what universe would that do both camps a disservice, and those two camps are mostly made up of the same people. Was I annoyed by the gimmickyness of voidwatch, yes, but I was overall happier with endgame content that included the jobs I wanted to play, and I obviously wasn't the only one here.

Crafting content around jobs is designing the hole to fit the peg, even if it's not the most innovative design in the world.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Selindrile View Post
    Also I liked VW, glowing equipment with great stats was awesome even if the content was super short and spammy.
    I have to extremely disagree.

VW wasn't good content; it was filler content, easily created, with such RNG that people had to kill, and kill, and kill, to get the stuff they wanted.
    Some people have zero luck with this RNG (including myself) even now, several years later, because we haven't seen ANYTHING drop to our loot pool, ever.
    Other people have incredible luck with the RNG and they get multiple body drops in a single run.

VW was absolutely garbage content, and I'm happier to have things like reforging, and plasm, so I can get what I need without spending an eternity zerging the same boss over and over.

Please SE, don't make more content like VW. For the love of Altana, please don't.
    (0)

Character
    Dazusu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbalest View Post
    I have to extremely disagree.

VW wasn't good content; it was filler content, easily created, with such RNG that people had to kill, and kill, and kill, to get the stuff they wanted.
    Some people have zero luck with this RNG (including myself) even now, several years later, because we haven't seen ANYTHING drop to our loot pool, ever.
    Other people have incredible luck with the RNG and they get multiple body drops in a single run.

VW was absolutely garbage content, and I'm happier to have things like reforging, and plasm, so I can get what I need without spending an eternity zerging the same boss over and over.

Please SE, don't make more content like VW. For the love of Altana, please don't.
    I still miss the days of Sea, Sky, Dark Ixion, Sandworm and ZNMs being somewhat relevant. All this recent content just doesn't do it for me. Personally I class Voidwatch as worse than Abyssea (though Abyssea had many good elements, such as its longevity with Empyrean weapons)
    (0)

Player
    make friends, make your own groups, beg for a server merge, whatever, the content isn't too hard

while i'll agree it's dumb that you split the same loot more ways for a tougher fight with 10 people than 6, you can also clear all delve zones with 9 active members in an 18 man alliance.. that's 9 spots that could be literally anyone contributing absolutely nothing and a win would still be possible..

it comes down to what daz said, people will take the easiest route, se already scaled the content easily enough that you could bring whatever jobs you want for the most part.. it's just that nobody does
    (1)

Character
    Punisha
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    This is a problem with the community and not with the game. Delve can be done with ANY job. The problem comes when the community wants nothing but the MOST EFFICIENT jobs to finish their task.

Personally if I see you shouting and you only want so and so job it tells me you a) want to be carried through content and b) aren't a very fun person.

The solution is to make friends and make your own groups.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast