Thread: Comet.

Character
    Anyia
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA_HACK View Post
    Actually Carbuncle should get Comet, however! I feel that SCH should get Ultima (schema spell), non-elemental magic damage on the same level as Meteor which should be dark magic damage.
    I like this idea. This spell is in just about every Final Fantasy and has yet to make an appearance here.
    (0)

Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    personally i think people need to stop QQing over "oh this job cant have this because it will hurt this job". i cant believe people are still so butt-hurt over the way the game used to be balanced. limiting the powering up of a job shouldnt be based off of other jobs relative strength, it should be independent of this factor. all jobs that are focused arround DD should beable to compete with one another on equal footing (WAR DRK THF NIN DRG RNG MNK SAM BST BLM SMN ); all jobs focused on hybridism should all preform on par with each other ( RDM BLU SCH); all jobs focused on healing should all preform on par with each other. ect ect.
    (0)

Character
    Archenemyx
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tezz View Post
    SE, BLM will be getting Meteor soon. I would like for Scholar to receive Comet.

Aside from that, it's always nice to see SCH-unique spells. Thank you!
    well since sch lack powerful dark magic besides noctohelix maybe it would be cooler to get drain 2, Ruin and Ruin 2 i would nice to have a strong spell to manifestation to an aga or at least give us banish 1,2 and 3 maybe even a banish IV
    (0)
    Those are nice some nice powers mind if i barrow them

Character
    Nobodyhere
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 95
    dont be so surprized if sch get and good spells cause i care less for blm they got all the damage they need to do now it time for sch turn sch learns death and life aka life is a no weakend raise
    (0)

Character
    Talizorah
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Comet will likely be for blm only, if they add it for players at all, I could see them adding it for rdm MAYBE, but honestly i doubt sch will get any powerful instant damaging spells outside of teir V nukes. Likely that SE will add some spells special to sch, such as more weather spells and stuff, but anything else is likely not to happen. HOWEVER its not to say that we shouldn't dream! just......dont get your hopes up. And Death and Life spells, aren't going to happen lol, if they did i promise sch would never see either of them.
    (0)
    Last edited by hollowsgrief; 03-21-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Character
    Altrage
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 90
    I still stick to my original hypothesis:

Ultima is latin, latin is a dead langauge, scholar is a dead job (Vana'diel lore wise anyway). Also Scholar's abilities are in Latin so Ultima SCHEMA would make more sense lore-wise than Ultima SPELL.

And just to verify, Comet was traditionally a Time Magic or Non-elemental spell reserved for TIME MAGE, not Black Mage, and in job based FFs that did not offer Time Mage it was usually either not in the game or thrown to BLM to keep the familiarity of spells. Since we don't have Time Mage in XI and since this is an MMO and balance is a primary issue, giving it to Carbuncle would make sense to compensate for Carbuncle's really weak new high level ability in comparison to the other avatars.

Meteor was traditionally Dark Magic, and makes sense to give to BLM since the tarus in the opening video cast it on the armies anyway.

So yeah I will stick to my guns, it makes the most sense.
    (0)

Player
    I still stick to my original hypothesis:

Ultima is latin, latin is a dead langauge, scholar is a dead job (Vana'diel lore wise anyway). Also Scholar's abilities are in Latin so Ultima SCHEMA would make more sense lore-wise than Ultima SPELL.

And just to verify, Comet was traditionally a Time Magic or Non-elemental spell reserved for TIME MAGE, not Black Mage, and in job based FFs that did not offer Time Mage it was usually either not in the game or thrown to BLM to keep the familiarity of spells. Since we don't have Time Mage in XI and since this is an MMO and balance is a primary issue, giving it to Carbuncle would make sense to compensate for Carbuncle's really weak new high level ability in comparison to the other avatars.

Meteor was traditionally Dark Magic, and makes sense to give to BLM since the tarus in the opening video cast it on the armies anyway.

So yeah I will stick to my guns, it makes the most sense.
    Stop ignoring the facts.
    Carbuncle is a Light Avatar. Comet is a Dark elemental spell in FFXI, giving Comet to Carbuncle makes zero sense. If anything Carbuncle should get Meteor since in FFXI that's non-elemental magic. Though I think it's much more logical for it to get Meteorite II.
    Ultima has always been the Ultimate Black Magic spell. SE probably didn't even mean for it to be Latin, they just took the last two letters off of ultimate because it is the ultimate spell and saying "I'm casting Ultimate!" just sounds silly. Scholar getting the strongest nuke makes zero sense, by all means they can add a Ultima Schema, but it isn't going to be Ultima as it is in any other FF game in which case I honestly don't see the point in the name.

People complaining about balance, Black Mage gets Comet and Meteor (which last I checked is AoE), Scholar gets Comet. Makes as much sense as Scholar getting Fire III and Black Mage getting Fire III and Firaga III.
    (0)

Character
    Altrage
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 90
    I seriously doubt that SE didn't realize they were making a spell name Latin...Actually I find it funny that you even perplexed such a notion. One of the major reasons why I love FF games is that EVERY unique spell name, EVERY monster name, even their character names have a real life history in the classics. And they do it with a cut of elegance even, basically what I mean if Joe-Schmo MMO had an equivalent spell it'd probably be called 'Big Bang' or 'Mega-Explosion' but FF took the time to find a Latin word and called it Ultima.

Also I wasn't trying to say what Comet was in XI. I was merely stating that TRADITIONALLY it was a spell reserved for Time Mage and was considered Time Magic not Black/Dark/Elemental Magic, as an old-school FFer; I'm pretty certain on this claim. And that Ultima (while learned from Black mage-esque characters in the FF series) was a NON-ELEMENTAL magic spell (Traditionally speaking).

And the reasoning why to make it a schema is:
    Adloqium
    Animus Augeo
    Animus Minuo
    Tabla Rasa
    Modus Veritas
    Ultima

Are all Latin words and already fit as the spell names. And being that in terms of XI's lore that Black Mage's are the masters of ELEMENTAL magic then it makes no more sense to give them a NON-ELEMENTAL magic spell...Does that make it a little more clear as to the reasoning?
    (0)

Character
    Rambus
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    why ultima? :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwju6-LydUQ

dont you think sch should be able to bend space and time so much it bursts with huge energy? XD

maybe that defines Ultima idk ><
    (0)
    Last edited by Rambus; 03-21-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Spending Gil = Game balance, next question please tia
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    They're reading and agreeing that these are very good ideas.... to be implemented to rune fencer.

Just like any good suggestions in the RDM thread get applied to SCH.

Player
    Also I wasn't trying to say what Comet was in XI. I was merely stating that TRADITIONALLY it was a spell reserved for Time Mage and was considered Time Magic not Black/Dark/Elemental Magic, as an old-school FFer; I'm pretty certain on this claim. And that Ultima (while learned from Black mage-esque characters in the FF series) was a NON-ELEMENTAL magic spell (Traditionally speaking).

And the reasoning why to make it a schema is:
    Adloqium
    Animus Augeo
    Animus Minuo
    Tabla Rasa
    Modus Veritas
    Ultima

Are all Latin words and already fit as the spell names. And being that in terms of XI's lore that Black Mage's are the masters of ELEMENTAL magic then it makes no more sense to give them a NON-ELEMENTAL magic spell...Does that make it a little more clear as to the reasoning?
    A spell can be Elemental Magic while having no Elemental Affinity quite easily. The fact that it's happened in well, every other Final Fantasy game, is testament to that.

I don't understand how you can even argue Scholar should get it with such a massively weak argument such as "It's Latin". You're arguing that simply because it has a Latin name, we should have it regardless of the fact that it is traditionally Black Mages, hell, Black Magics ultimate spell. I'm not even going to accept having a spell that is Ultima simply in name because that just means we're not going to see the real Ultima at all. I'd much rather Ultima be what Meteor was, a powerful spell that HNMs get to cast on us, not something we cast.

Your first post was "Scholar can't have Comet because Carbuncle should get it, so give us Ultima". This makes no sense what so ever. I shouldn't even need to point out how your reasoning for not giving Scholar Comet fails simply because the logic of giving Scholar Ultima is so faulty, but the fact that Comet is a Dark-Elemental spell and Carbuncle is a Light Avatar completely collapses your argument for giving Scholar Ultima regardless.

As for Comet being Time Magic traditionally (except every instance it was Black Magic), Scholar has a series of elemental spells that deal damage over time, I guess that doesn't count for anything.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast