Character
    Rorix
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99

Bravely Default Style Slot System

Howdy all.

After enjoying another of SquareEnix's game's Bravely Default it made me think that FFXI could have fun with the slot system Bravely Default had. Where each character had up to 5 Slots where they could equip passive abilities that were unlocked on other job classes.

So say FFXI gave each player 5 Slots and made a new Merit Category for each Job Class that unlocked a Passive Ability to equip to those Slots from the main menu or Mog House.

Just some examples:

Job: Ninja
    Ability: Duel Wield I (doesn't stack with other Duel Wield Traits)
    Equip: 2 Slots

So now lets say we got a Rng/War and they use 2/5 Slots to equip Duel Wield 1 they unlocked from meriting Ninja. I could see this being something Mage Jobs could be interested in as well.

Job: Thief
    Ability: Dagger Skill A (makes a job class with native Dagger skill to have A rank)
    Equip: 1 Slot

Anything lower than A rank wouldn't even be considered for content and skills like this could help some Jobs that only have Blunt/Piercing/Slashing choices be welcomed to content that requires only 1 of those Damage types.

Not saying the above examples HAVE to be implemented they were just quick examples to get the basic idea of the system.

If SE managed to balance such a system, it could make for some interesting customizations on Jobs.

You guys think a system like this could be fun?

For fun post your ideas for possible slot abilities for any job class using the following template:

Job:
    Ability:
    Slot Cost:
    Reasoning for equipping this ability if not super obvious.

~Have some fun people~
    (1)
    Last edited by Omen; 08-28-2014 at 06:08 AM.

yeah it would be nice to be able to get Dual Wield on BST while subbing WAR or something else that would actually help one DD better. I'd be happy with any change that allowed that to happen.
    (0)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

I mean... I enjoyed that system in Bravely Default, but rewriting/redoing the entire subjob/mainjob system in XI would just... I can't even fathom how they would pull that off without blowing up the game. I mean, it could be like a BLU thing and allow you to equip certain ones for points like you suggested, but how would you unlock them to be used? 99 that job? The balance issues alone... not to mention the cheapening of the BLU JT system.

Its not a bad idea at all, don't get me wrong, I'd personally love the idea of it... I just don't see how it would be possible to introduce this system, maintain balance, introducing the unlock system to get the job traits... or how they would have the man power to do it x.x;

Again, I like the idea, maybe they'll consider it in the future but I just don't see it fitting into XI, as much as i loved it in Bravely Default.
    (0)

Character
    Rorix
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I see your point it would rattle up job system for sure. But is that really a bad idea for FFXI?

making ppl have to test out new approaches to the current setups could be very interesting and might even lure in some old players maybe even new ones.

Just imagine if one of the War slot abilities gave any job "Provoke" that alone could open some interesting doors or to keep to the Passive Trait route be something like Enmity generation multiplied by a large number.

Something drastic like redesigning all the jobs from top to bottom could bring a new age to FFXI but thats another topic.

For fun i'd like to see creative ideas of possible slot abilities for job classes. I'll add to original post a template for the fun of it.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    I see your point it would rattle up job system for sure. But is that really a bad idea for FFXI?
    After 13 years of it being the norm? It could... people might not enjoy it or adapt to it, could kill the game really if it goes over wrong or is implemented wrong.

They could also introduce it right, and people could love it and it'll rejuvenate job combinations and such. They could make it to where only very specific traits could be set, Dual Wield, Fencer, Etc... One for every job perhaps, and every job still got their traits normally, these traits would just be something you could add on extra. Also, I don't think they could be full power or that would be too OP (other jobs gettin Dual Wield V would kinda ruin some 2handed users).

So say, this could be how it works... Each job unlocks 1 trait for cross-traiting at level 99, and of a specific tier, like follows:

WAR: Unlocks "Fencer" II
    MNK: Unlocks "Max HP Bonus" III
    WHM: Unlocks "Divine Benison" II
    BLM: Unlocks "Elemental Celerity" II
    RDM: Unlocks "Fast Cast II"
    THF: Unlocks "Critical Attack Bonus" II
    PLD: Unlocks "Shield Mastery" II
    DRK: Unlocks "Attack Bonus" II
    DRG: Unlocks "Conserve TP"
    BRD: Unlocks "Resist Silence" II
    SMN: Unlocks "Max MP Boost" III
    BST: Unlocks "Resist Slow" II
    RNG: Unlocks "Accuracy Bonus" II
    NIN: Unlocks "Dual Wield" II
    SAM: Unlocks "Store TP" II
    BLU: ..... Nothing?
    COR: Unlocks "Rapid Shot" II
    PUP: Unlocks "Resist Amnesia" II
    DNC: Unlocks "Skillchain Bonus" II
    SCH: unlocks "Clear Mind" II
    GEO: Unlocks "Conserve MP" II
    RUN: Unlocks "Magic Def. Bonus" II

That way, each one offers something unique, but not too powerful... BLU idk though btw.

Instead of costing points to set, You can have 3 "Slots", and set any 3 you want... Which could favor certain ones, perhaps they could also make it like Instincts in Monstrosity as you kinda suggested... but giving each one a point value might make it more balanced?
    (1)
    Last edited by Karbuncle; 08-28-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Character
    Rorix
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Nice ideas Karbuncle,

I'll add a few more.

Job: Warrior
    Ability: Two-Handed (One handed weapons, when equipped by themselves, are twice as powerful and are treated as a 2h weapon.
    Slot Cost: 3 Slots
    Reasoning: Would boost the power of Dagger, Axe, and Swords Weapon skill output. Could see Bst's and Thf's really using this.

Job: Paladin
    Ability: Duel Shields (Can equip a shield in the weapon slot and the off hand slot but can't attack if you do)
    Reasoning: Could gear swap to two shields right before receiving a massive attack, or maybe could come up with a strat where they always have two shields up.

Job: Summoner
    Ability: Savage Beasts (Boost's Avatar's Auto attacks and Blood Pact Rages Cool Down is reduced by 50%, but can't use Blood Pact Wards
    Reasoning: Define's a SMN as a Damage Dealer at the cost of losing it's hybrid-ness

Job: Summoner
    Ability: Avatar Blessing (Seals Blood Pact Rages, but Blood Pact Ward's Cool down is reduced by 50% and Avatar Favors are enhanced)
    Reasoning: Defines a SMN as a Support Job at the cost of losing it's hybrid-ness and if other jobs sub SMN they can use Wards more often.

Job: Red Mage
    Ability: Battle Mage (Converts 1% damage taken into MP)
    Slot Cost: 2 Slots
    Reasoning: Helps a lot while soloing or anytime you would be Tanking with an MP dependent job.

Job: Thief
    Ability: Stealth (Generate Less Enmity but do X% less Damage)
    Slot Cost: 1 Slot
    Reasoning: Support Roles would love this.

Job: Samurai
    Ability: Death Blow (Generates X extra TP when you deal the killing blow to an enemy)
    Reasoning: Pretty self explanatory.

Job: Dark Knight
    Ability: MP Attack (each Physical attack consumes X% of Max MP to make the attack do 1.5x more DMG)
    Reasoning: Nice boost if you can afford the upkeep cost.

Job: White Mage
    Ability: Healer (When you take damage 1% of the damage is used to restore HP to party members)
    Slot Cost: 2 Slots
    Reasoning: Tanks would like this

Job: Black Mage
    Ability: Absorb Mp (when hit with a damaging magic spell, you restore X% MP)
    Reasoning: Self Explanatory

I'll add some more later
    (0)
    Last edited by Omen; 08-29-2014 at 01:28 AM.

Character
    Xantavia
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I always thought this would be the way to go if they were to add a mime job. Couldn't set a sub-job, but JA and traits you set were based on what other jobs you have leveled.
    (0)

Character
    Rorix
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post
    I always thought this would be the way to go if they were to add a mime job. Couldn't set a sub-job, but JA and traits you set were based on what other jobs you have leveled.
    Sounds like the classic FF Freelancer job which after maxing out all jobs...was the most uber job class. A less OP version tho could be fun.
    (0)

i feel like this is way to much overhaul for a game this far in.

but seriously, anybody who hasn't, find a copy of FF5 and play it. <3 FFV and it's super breakable job system.
    (1)

Character
    Rorix
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    That way, each one offers something unique, but not too powerful... BLU idk though btw.
    Think Magic Attack Bonus or Magic Burst Bonus are the only things left from your list Karbuncle that Blu could benefit from.

Any other ideas from anyone?
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast