That's awesome, I love reading this kind of stuff about the game
    (1)

Character
    Ovjang
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Speaking of naming npcs, was Quemaricond's name intentional? Because it means "How Gay" in Spanish.
    (0)

Player
    There needs to be some kind of FFXI Ultimania guide released that has a compendium of all of these behind-the-scene tidbits. A guide that reveals all of the hidden latents for random items which players have still never discovered and are long forgotten, mechanics for how to actually defeat PW at 75 in under 2hrs, and a digest on all of the behind the scenes lore/naming conventions/mythos, etc...

Maybe this will happen after FFXI ends, because I'm sure the community has tons of burning questions like how SE intended PW to be defeated at 75 with only 1 alliance and less than 2hrs(were there mechanics which were never discovered?). I guess the best we can do is keep thinking of cool localization questions to ask...
    (2)

Dev Team

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Mnejing View Post
    Speaking of naming npcs, was Quemaricond's name intentional? Because it means "How Gay" in Spanish.

Uh, where is this NPC located?

Edit: Never mind, I found him. Let me ponder what to do about this.

Edit 2:
    I asked around a bit, including getting the advice of one of our Spanish translators and bringing it up to Matsui-san.
    First, the name of this character is unintentional and unfortunate in hindsight. There is no intention to have the character be interpreted this way--and as far as I can tell in-game, the character has no text that can be construed as negative stereotyping. Another factor in the decision to have the NPC remain in the game is that we have no Spanish version, either now or historically. Finally, when we checked with a Spanish translator within the department, he said that it might not be the most pristine of names but that it read like an off-color joke rather than an attack on someone.

So for now, our stance is to keep the name in-game as it is.
    As to how it got named like this in the first place, no one can remember for sure, but it's likely someone just came up with something off the cuff.
    (1)

Quemaricond's name is funny. And just for the sake of clarity the phrase in Spanish is "Que maricón." Which can be used as "How/So gay" or "How/So cowardly" depending on context.

_____

But anyway, I'm posting because I'm very curious about how the random names are picked when you are creating a new character. Is this a set list of names that was created all those years ago OR is it randomly generated using a certain set of parameters?

Also, is there any way of knowing such naming parameters? Like with Tarus where Male names have 2 words that usually rhyme while female names tend to repeat the last syllable, etc.
    (0)
    'Don't ever, ever try to lie to the internet. Because they will catch you. They will de-construct your spin. They will remember everything you ever say for eternity.'
    - Lord Gaben

Another question.

About the Avatars, when you fight them and they say "Are you ready, you who is one yet many?". What exactly are they referring to, and what is the text in Japanese? Because it sounds like they are breaking the fourth wall for a second to acknowledge players fought these fights in groups even though every cutscene plays it like we are soloing.

The full intro says:

"...Who interrupts my slumber?
    Was I dreaming for but an instant, or an eternity?
    The radiance that illuminates all, lost...
    Which is the real world, and which is the dream? Am I...?

But enough...
    Wager your life to prove your skill.
    Let us see if you can provide me with a moment of amusement.

Are you ready, you who is one yet many?"
    (0)
    'Don't ever, ever try to lie to the internet. Because they will catch you. They will de-construct your spin. They will remember everything you ever say for eternity.'
    - Lord Gaben

Most likely it's referring to us having many jobs.
    (0)
    www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

Character
    Nyerieri
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    I forgot to ask this question a bit ago!

During the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel mission "Over the Rainbow" Koru-Moru sounds.. a bit more normal when talking compared to normal missions when he is rhyming every other word. Was this intentional when the quest was translated? Just curious!
    (0)

Character
    Hrohj
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    I'm not sure if this is a bug or if this is even the right place to post this, but...

The Loess Barbuta and Loess Barbuta +1, despite being ilvl119, has no Evasion+, Magic Evasion+, "Magic Def. Bonus"+ or Haste+. Are these attributes not being displayed properly? Or does this piece of equipment actually not have the standard attribute bonuses that every other piece of armor that is ilvl119 is supposed to have?

Bug or localization error? I'm not sure. Unelonborro can you find out?
    (0)

Character
    Daisansha
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Shouldn't Indi/Geo - Voidance be Avoidance?
    (0)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9