Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Andrewviii
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99

Accomplice and Collaborator Problems

These job abilities are meant for keeping hate off the squishy people in the party right? Only the squishy people can't be anywhere near the bosses anymore. Sort of defeats the purpose of keeping hate off the white mage if to do so thieves have to drag the mobs over and it kills him with an AoE attack. That is why the range on these job abilities needs to be increased. Basically if the mages are in range to cast cures on the thief, the thief should be able to pull hate off them.
    (3)

As the system process involved in checking the enmity surrounding the player causes additional stress on the server, we do not have any plans of adjusting the range of Accomplice and Collaborator.
    (1)
    Colby "Grekumah" Casaccia - Community Team

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Ok Grekumah, I know you're new and just translating the dev's response, but that statement makes no fricken' sense!

He wasn't asking about checking the enmity surrounding the player, he was only asking if the range of accomplice and collaborator can be expanded.

Are you sure you're responding to the right thread?
    (5)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthar View Post
    He wasn't asking about checking the enmity surrounding the player, he was only asking if the range of accomplice and collaborator can be expanded.
    Similar to the scholar's special ability Caper Emissarius, using those two abilities would affect the enmity of characters other than yourself, which as we mentioned, places an additional strain on the server. Therefore, it was decided to limit their effective radius to what it is currently.
    (1)
    Matt "Bayohne" Hilton - Community Team

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayohne View Post
    Similar to the scholar's special ability Caper Emissarius, using those two abilities would affect the enmity of characters other than yourself, which as we mentioned, places an additional strain on the server. Therefore, it was decided to limit their effective radius to what it is currently.
    Did that make sense in your head as you wrote it? Seriously. Think about it. It makes no sense. Distance has nothing to do with server load.
    (9)

Player
    Eh. I read it as "Since the ability causes some strain to the server we intentionally limited it's usefulness, making it so that it is less likely to be used." The ability causes the same amount of strain at any distance, but it's less likely to be used when you have to run over to the whm to use it. It's an incredibly disappointing response, either way, since it's usefulness in long battles is hampered by how quickly melees cap enmity.

Either that or they've just started playing Mad Libs with their responses.
    As the system process involved in ________ causes ______, we do not have any plans of adjusting the ___ of ____.

Funny thing is though, I'm sure that they've gone on record as saying they want THF to be able to manipulate party members enmity more, to be able to control the flow of battle. Hampering an ability like accomplice isn't exactly conducive to that.
    (5)
    Last edited by Balloon; 08-22-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I was with Frank all the way on this til this:

Quote Originally Posted by Balloon View Post
    Eh. I read it as "Since the ability causes some strain to the server we intentionally limited it's usefulness, making it so that it is less likely to be used."
    So now it's like, ooooooohhhh yeah that actually makes sense to me at 2am. And I wish they could dump the PR speak and make sense in their responses. But, alas, the pain of the PPM MMORPG overlords.
    (1)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Just how much server load does a one/five minute ability generate with all the tons of abilities and spells flying back and forth; I wonder...
    (1)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Yeah the more I think about this the more I'm curious myself. Why does effecting the enmity of another player effect server strain and what does distance have to do with that? Heck you can gain enmity on a mob from farther than you can see if you know what you are doing so not sure why 1/3 that distance is too much if it's another player

For that matter what about Trick Attack and Decoy Shot? They effect the enmity of other players and work at ranges twice that of collaborator. Fairly certain Super jump with spirit surge does as well
    (4)
    Last edited by dasva; 08-22-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Balloon View Post
    Eh. I read it as "Since the ability causes some strain to the server we intentionally limited it's usefulness, making it so that it is less likely to be used." The ability causes the same amount of strain at any distance, but it's less likely to be used when you have to run over to the whm to use it. It's an incredibly disappointing response, either way, since it's usefulness in long battles is hampered by how quickly melees cap enmity.

Either that or they've just started playing Mad Libs with their responses.
    As the system process involved in ________ causes ______, we do not have any plans of adjusting the ___ of ____.

Funny thing is though, I'm sure that they've gone on record as saying they want THF to be able to manipulate party members enmity more, to be able to control the flow of battle. Hampering an ability like accomplice isn't exactly conducive to that.

All I can think is that maybe the spaghetti code checks the emnity of everyone around every time you use it even though it is single target and for some reason they can't / won't figure out how to limit that to party members, or just the target? Anyways, terrible logic.

They say they want thief to have a way to get rid of emnity. They may as well give them MP and put them on some staves if it's gonna involve running all over the place.
    (5)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast