Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Player
    I was talking about distance, not radius too. I do wonder if the Community reps were talking about radius now. . . But I still interpret it as intentionally limiting it.
    (4)

Anyone who's ever DC'd in an important fight whilst in an alliance with a THF is now never going to invite THF again because of the extra server load that they can cause...
    (0)

Greetings, everyone.

Since there seems to be some confusion, I’d like to clarify with a longer explanation about how this actually works.

When it comes to range for abilities there are two types:
    1. Range needed for ability usage
    2. Range that is checked internally when an ability is used

The requests in this thread to increase ability range fall into the former category, and the server stress that was mentioned in the previous post is referring to the latter.

When using Accomplice and Collaborator, the game internally checks the enmity of all characters and monsters in a certain range around the player using the ability. As another example, when using Trick Attack, Decoy Shot, or Super Jump, the system checks the enmity of the players and monsters in front or behind you. For these abilities, the range of what is checked is limited to directly in front or behind you, and because of this valid distance is longer than Accomplice and Collaborator.

With that said, it’s not as simple as increasing the range (#1 above) without giving consideration to the effects on #2. Meaning that if we were to increase the range for these abilities so they can be used at a greater distance, the range for the internal enmity check would also increase causing increased server stress.

Additionally, when Accomplice and Collaborator were created, the development team pushed the settings to the limit for the internal enmity checks, and due to this it is not possible to expand the range any further.
    (3)
    Colby "Grekumah" Casaccia - Community Team

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Hmm... Take back our servers they took for FFXIV so we can have a greater limit? ^.^
    (7)

Player
    Thank you for the clarification Grekumah, and that's as we suspected, but why not increase the range of (1), without increasing (2), we would accept and understand that this would potentially sometimes make the effect we hoped for fail, if the monster in question was outside of the range of (2), but I believe this would be an acceptable risk and compromise for most of us, just clearly explain the max range of both (1) and (2) with the change in the help text.
    (0)

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    What he's saying is that you can't increase (1) without (2). They go hand in hand and wouldn't make sense otherwise.
    (1)

Character
    Dazusu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I find it interesting that the server 'stresses' checking the enmity of monsters in a 10 yalm radius; I find it more interesting there's concern about doubling that radius to 20 yalms. As a software engineer; today I learned that iterating through an NPC array within a 20 yalm radius is intensive. Oh boy... smh.

Not to mention there's usually <1000 people logged in at all times now.

Perhaps they're using Pentium II processors (...or working with legacy spaghetti code)
    (3)
    Last edited by Dazusu; 08-27-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Character
    Xsilver
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    I wonder how the supposed limitations he talked about affect hate reset AoE TP moves from NMs that have a range of more than 15-20'.
    (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Grekumah View Post
    Greetings, everyone.

Since there seems to be some confusion, I’d like to clarify with a longer explanation about how this actually works.

The requests in this thread to increase ability range fall into the former category, and the server stress that was mentioned in the previous post is referring to the latter.

When using Accomplice and Collaborator, the game internally checks the enmity of all characters and monsters in a certain range around the player using the ability. As another example, when using Trick Attack, Decoy Shot, or Super Jump, the system checks the enmity of the players and monsters in front or behind you. For these abilities, the range of what is checked is limited to directly in front or behind you, and because of this valid distance is longer than Accomplice and Collaborator.

With that said, it’s not as simple as increasing the range (#1 above) without giving consideration to the effects on #2. Meaning that if we were to increase the range for these abilities so they can be used at a greater distance, the range for the internal enmity check would also increase causing increased server stress.

Additionally, when Accomplice and Collaborator were created, the development team pushed the settings to the limit for the internal enmity checks, and due to this it is not possible to expand the range any further.
    thanks for the explanation. unfortunately, this leads to abilities that are virtualy useless under current game play. with most parties making absolutely no effort to keep hate on the tank the thief is forced to move all over the map. with this system as currently implemented the thief has to run almost to the backline to use Accomplice/collaborator then run back to the tank-carrying all the hate he's trying to shift in the hopes that for the time it takes to get off an SATA WS on the mob from behind the tank and then freeze it with conspirator, all while the mob is shifting position and the party is chasing it. Pulling it off is a miracle. and I don't understand the load, WE are manually designating the target when we use either ability so why the need to check all enmity? a single check, only on the designated character is all that is necessary. making it instant means no need for a continuous check. and if these are all a flat numerical value at the time of use... well what's the problem? change the mechanism in line with how the ability is supposed to work, because it sounds like as is you created a lot of unnecessary load for single-target abilities. Now, if the ability stole the enmity for all in range and put it on the thief, I could see the issue.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Grekumah View Post
    Greetings, everyone.

I wish I wasn't the only who understood you the first time
    (1)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast