Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Character
    Kelwa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 75
    I'd like to see it last as long as possible, FFXI is a special MMO for me and i wish for HD version or XI-2 for it.

i just drooped out of FFXIV because i felt it was boring and has stupid movement animation, instance everything, SMN looks like a warlock, etc...
    (5)

Player
    I liked FFXIV a lot when I played it, the combat system for the most part was a lot more interesting than FFXIs engage and hit.

Yet, I can't get over no gearswaps in FFXIV. Everything is literally a vertical climb, and it outdates content so quickly.. I'd love any other mmo to tackle it. FFXIV could handle it quite well, but there's an established system in place, to include it now would invalidate so much.

If we ever got a FFXI-2 I would hope that they'd update the engine to alway for more dynamic fights while also allowing for gearswaps. I doubt that'll happen though..
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Balloon View Post
    I liked FFXIV a lot when I played it, the combat system for the most part was a lot more interesting than FFXIs engage and hit.

Yet, I can't get over no gearswaps in FFXIV. Everything is literally a vertical climb, and it outdates content so quickly.. I'd love any other mmo to tackle it. FFXIV could handle it quite well, but there's an established system in place, to include it now would invalidate so much.

If we ever got a FFXI-2 I would hope that they'd update the engine to alway for more dynamic fights while also allowing for gearswaps. I doubt that'll happen though..
    Please no to the 'engaging' combat. Part of XI's charm is the slower pace where JAs matter, and you actually have to use tactics that don't revolve around 'frantically look around for a red circle on the floor, then move!".
    (8)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Deirdre View Post
    Please no to the 'engaging' combat. Part of XI's charm is the slower pace where JAs matter, and you actually have to use tactics that don't revolve around 'frantically look around for a red circle on the floor, then move!".
    This.

FFXIV's combat is not engaging. There's no random elements.. nothing is put to chance in bossfights. It's all incredibly mechanical, especially with the entire battle system based on dodging giant floor markers to avoid AoE attacks.

Besides, I like being able to play a different kind of MMO that doesn't involve flooding my damn screen with a million icons that I need to mash, mash, and mash more; I like playing FFXI.
    (8)

Character
    Rwyan
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 21
    While FF14 provides a more updated visual experience and has a lot of quality of life enhancements over FFXI... I still find FFXI the superior game. For reasons already noted, FFXI has a more engaging combat system and the sub-job system far surpasses the armory system in terms of both flavor and function.

So long as FF14 focuses on providing a very streamlined MMO experience, I think FF11 has a good number of years left. Even with its warts and missteps, not one modern MMO has yet to provide the depth and mystery that older MMOs provided.
    (5)

Player
    I could not agree with the last 3 posts more, nails on the head, I would love more Quality of Life updates, maybe an Engine Revamp and a Visual update, but, even if those things don't happen, FFXI still has some wonderful things that no other game does quite as well at the moment.
    (1)

Character
    Knightstrike
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    THF Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Deirdre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbalest View Post
    This.

FFXIV's combat is not engaging. There's no random elements.. nothing is put to chance in bossfights. It's all incredibly mechanical, especially with the entire battle system based on dodging giant floor markers to avoid AoE attacks.

Besides, I like being able to play a different kind of MMO that doesn't involve flooding my damn screen with a million icons that I need to mash, mash, and mash more; I like playing FFXI.
    Quote Originally Posted by deeg View Post
    While FF14 provides a more updated visual experience and has a lot of quality of life enhancements over FFXI... I still find FFXI the superior game. For reasons already noted, FFXI has a more engaging combat system and the sub-job system far surpasses the armory system in terms of both flavor and function.

So long as FF14 focuses on providing a very streamlined MMO experience, I think FF11 has a good number of years left. Even with its warts and missteps, not one modern MMO has yet to provide the depth and mystery that older MMOs provided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selindrile View Post
    I could not agree with the last 3 posts more, nails on the head, I would love more Quality of Life updates, maybe an Engine Revamp and a Visual update, but, even if those things don't happen, FFXI still has some wonderful things that no other game does quite as well at the moment.
    I couldn't agree more, I know there,s more posts like these just didn't want to make a wall-o-text post, 14 maybe for others, for me there was no fun factor, my Wife and I can enjoy 11, home sweet home Vana'diel is where are hearts are.
    (4)

Character
    Annataru
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant82 View Post
    I see FFXI as one of the MMOs that go on and on ....
    DAoC & the original Everquest are still going! why? Because people still play them. It was mentioned a few time that as long as there are people who keep playing and that SE is making a profit most likely they will keep at least 1 sever going until the point that they start losing money, and even then depending on how much they lose they might keep it going for a little while longer. But with as many people that still play I do not see FFXI going anywhere anytime soon.
    #1: ^I can't like this post enough times. Amen. FFXI isn't going anywhere. For my money, it's still the best MMO on the market. The job/subjob system alone makes for the widest array of gameplay options on a single character of any game I've ever played. The level of customization within a single job isn't as high as WoW, but who cares, WoW sucks. I can't wait for all the game jumpers who go to whatever MMO is new and exciting to drop FFXIV:ARR like rats fleeing a sinking ship, and for it to fail just like EQ2 so we get some of our staff back.

#2. Most people think they would have to discontinue ps2 support. Considering playstation is on ps4 now, that could be a possibility in the future, surely by the time there's a PS-5. However, IIRC there was an optional graphics upgrade released for everquest, so I don't see why they can't do the same. Some people don't want a graphics upgrade because they play this game for nostalgia, or because they have ancient computers or love their ps2's. For so many reasons it would have to be optional, and that just doesn't strike me as their style. But we can hope.

also yes, merge some servers already, jeez. With the decreased cost and waiting period for server transfers, people will sort of clump together on the bigger servers. Make your money off that business and then start merging smaller servers together.
    (4)
    janethetaru

Character
    Siegmont
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 90
    This Final Fantasy in my humble opinion is the GREATEST Final Fantasy EVER! Here are my reasons for my statement:

- The first Final Fantasy where you could truely create your own character.

- The story and worlds lore is second to none in terms of playablility.

- With recent "Trust Magic", players can create their own party?! YES PLEASE!

- I cannot stress enough about GEOMANCER people. Loved that class since I was a kid.

- Combat is awsome as well.

With all these points in mind. If the day should ever come where SE has to shut down FFXI. I would absolutly 1000% buy a single player HD version of FFXI. This can work 2 ways.

1. People who had never played the game can play by themselves or invite a friend to play through a personal server.

2. People can opt in and pay a monthly fee to SE to rent a server for a large group of players.

This game still has a bright future even if the MMO is done. and Like I said even if they shut down support I would re-buy a Offline HD version for SteamOS
    (3)

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    The real reason they didn't port FFXI to the PS3 was because of Sony's policy that PS2 games ported to the PS3 must be given a graphics update.

I don't think you will see a complete overhaul but updating the graphics engine to DirectX 11 would be possible. This wouldn't require a complete overhaul of the content, just update the graphics engine and use the same models and zones. A few updated graphics effects like global shadows updated water effects and 60fps wouldn't be too much work either. Also I'm certain they have high res versions of the textures, texture artists don't typically work with 128x128 postage stamps they draw the textures at a higher resolution and then scale them down.
    (0)
    Last edited by Atomic_Skull; 10-31-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast