Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Player
    I can't think of one valid reason a company would close down an mmo like ffxi.

Cheap to run, cheap to produce content for and a large playerbase (by most mmo standards).

No matter what FFXIV does it has no relevence to FFXI, they are pretty much now hitting different audiences. They would do more damage than good by closing down a game people still like and play, especially JP players. Did you see the rage and hatred to the publisher when they closed down city of heroes? Even players that don't play FFXI anymore would be angry at Square for closing down an mmo they have such feelings for as they do with this one.

Anyway to answer the question, once you see development stop it has a few years left at that point. A company that has put an mmo out to pasture is one they stop spending money developing. Since it still gets regular updates it has many many years left in it. They will close it down when it doesn't have enough players to sustain its cost. Most mmo titles run and are profitable with 2-3 servers.

FFXIV players should be more worried honestly, since that game is now seemingly not profitable enough to sustain itself without the desperate move of adding a cash shop (Selling mounts for $25 lol). Something FFXI has run just fine without for 12 years now.
    (5)

In my dreams FFXI gets an expansion which updates the physics to add flying and swimming.

In reality, it will keep running for at least another 5 years, with a slowly declining population.
    (0)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Quote Originally Posted by Olor View Post
    In my dreams FFXI gets an expansion which updates the physics to add flying and swimming.
    As we still get stopped by 3 inches of snow in Xarcabard and inivsible walls in Jeuno, I don't see this happen very soon.
    (1)

The game has another expansion coming, just watch.
    (6)

I don't want this game to die until I see the Mithran homeland ...
    (2)

I think you mean the far east, who cares about Mithra! I wanna see Phoenix and Tenzen.
    (2)

Orcish empire
    (1)

Character
    Numquam
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    1. Yes, and even if people stopped playing, they would keep merging and merging until there were maybe 2 servers left. Question would be: Would there be any more good updates and tweaks to problems after that.

2. Hell no. This game looks great for its graphics. I have no idea why people need games to keep having better and better graphics. The fact that you can easily see chat font and your character's eyes blinks and a breathing-motion is awesome. No facelift please. Es purfect!
    (3)

Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Numquam View Post
    1. Yes, and even if people stopped playing, they would keep merging and merging until there were maybe 2 servers left. Question would be: Would there be any more good updates and tweaks to problems after that.

2. Hell no. This game looks great for its graphics. I have no idea why people need games to keep having better and better graphics. The fact that you can easily see chat font and your character's eyes blinks and a breathing-motion is awesome. No facelift please. Es purfect!
    I agree that the graphics are fine. I actually prefer them over Final Fantasy 14's graphics to be honest with you (I know that may sound weird but it's true). They are also easier on my hardware too and less likely to cause performance problems.
    (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    I think you mean the far east, who cares about Mithra! I wanna see Phoenix and Tenzen.
    Ok, ok, I want to see them too. ;p
    (1)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast