Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Just because a job can solo doesn't mean it's a solo job. And, aren't we getting off topic here?
    (2)

Character
    Snk
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthar View Post
    Just because a job can solo doesn't mean it's a solo job.
    I never said it was a solo only job, I said that at the time when the job came out, it was one of the only jobs able to solo a decent amount of exp without having to interact with other players. Truthfully, I liked being in parties with my BST back in the days of the Boyada Tree with 5 other beastmasters whacking on those Gobubuus on the upper level with each of us with a mandy pet each. Good times!
    (0)

Player
    I never really thought the nm solo part of BST was necessarily that interesting. Anything worthwhile would get stolen from you in pet swaps (Despot comes to mind) and the fights are usually just attrition. The NM solos were really reliant on the mobs in the area, too, and later Abyssea solos were probably even more tedious, relying heavily on Pet Damage Taken and sitting back.

I solod it to 75, apart from the occasional duo, but that paradigm doesn't exist anymore, and I really dislike when people seem to imply that BST should be underpowered because of it's heritage as a solo job. As the game changes, so too should the roles of jobs. Ninja made a formidable tank at some point, but it no longer does. BST was a healthy solo job at some point, but it no longer is.

That's not at anyone in particular in this thread, mainly just that I have seen the idea that because BST can solo stuff "For lots of gil" that it should be less powerful than it's cohorts, and I don't think it was true then (Anything worth soloing was stealable at 1%) and it certainly isn't true now. Perhaps dynamis, but it wasn't alone in this. I did it on PUP/THF, people did it on BLU, DNC and THF.
    (4)

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by SNK View Post
    I never said it was a solo only job, I said that at the time when the job came out, it was one of the only jobs able to solo a decent amount of exp without having to interact with other players. Truthfully, I liked being in parties with my BST back in the days of the Boyada Tree with 5 other beastmasters whacking on those Gobubuus on the upper level with each of us with a mandy pet each. Good times!
    The xp wasn't that good. x.x
    Some days it was two steps forward and three steps back. On those days I just threw my hands up and did something else.
    (2)

Some days it was two steps forward and three steps back. On those days I just threw my hands up and did something else.
    yeah, this. BST could scrape together exp but it was rarely even slightly close to what a party could get and a couple mischarms could wipe it all out.

At any rate, whether or not BST used to be good at soloing exp - EVERY JOB is good at soloing EXP now so it's really irrelevant. In fact, BST is WORSE now than other jobs because you can't call trusts with a charmed pet - really hurting BSTs a lot.

And none of that has anything to do with uncapping all our old jugs so we have a good selection of pets and they can focus on making new, interesting pets than giving us the EXACT SAME PETS over and over again at different caps. It's an insult.

I really raged when I saw a frigging white sheep, a brown lizard ... etc. Like seriously... ugh. Not even a reskin? Like SERIOUSLY.
    (6)
    Last edited by Olor; 08-29-2014 at 02:24 AM.
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Character
    Snk
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Balloon View Post
    I never really thought the nm solo part of BST was necessarily that interesting. Anything worthwhile would get stolen from you in pet swaps (Despot comes to mind)
    I remember seeing this shit happen to so many people. What's amusing is I never had anyone really attempt to steal a mob from me other then RMTs and Aquarius but w/e. lol

and the fights are usually just attrition. The NM solos were really reliant on the mobs in the area, too, and later Abyssea solos were probably even more tedious, relying heavily on Pet Damage Taken and sitting back.
    I remember really wanting an Assault Jerkin *lol at that piece* and I would swap Toramas back and forth soloing Ose. It was a lot of fun but damn it was always that one time when you got a misscharm and you ending up nearly dying because of it!

I solod it to 75, apart from the occasional duo, but that paradigm doesn't exist anymore,
    This is a very true fact I can't agree with more.

and I really dislike when people seem to imply that BST should be underpowered because of it's heritage as a solo job.
    I know the limitations of my job and I'm always happy when I get invited to group events on my beastmaster. The job does need a buff I won't deny it but I know most people would prefer to bring the usual cookiecutter jobs to get an easy win. It's pretty much fighting in uphill battle to join events on a job like beastmaster.

As the game changes, so too should the roles of jobs. Ninja made a formidable tank at some point, but it no longer does. BST was a healthy solo job at some point, but it no longer is.
    Even more so with the advent of the trust system, any job is pretty much a solo job now. lol

That's not at anyone in particular in this thread, mainly just that I have seen the idea that because BST can solo stuff "For lots of gil" that it should be less powerful than it's cohorts, and I don't think it was true then (Anything worth soloing was stealable at 1%) and it certainly isn't true now. Perhaps dynamis, but it wasn't alone in this. I did it on PUP/THF, people did it on BLU, DNC and THF.
    Beastmaster for a lot of people in Dynamis was a "comfort" job. A job where you didn't really have to gear up well to make gil and not worry about dying when your pet could do it for you. Nowadays I think I can count on one hand how many seriously geared Beastmasters are on my server outside of myself. :|

I won't deny I had a few rough patches on beastmaster solo but then I had those times I was soloing Chain 6 or 7s depending on where I was exping, Bombs in Garliage, Red Kissers vs Colibri, Western Altepa Desert, The Basement in Gusgen Mines, Crawlers vs Goblins in Yuhtunga Jungle which was so much fun as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Olor View Post
    yeah, this. BST could scrape together exp but it was rarely even slightly close to what a party could get and a couple mischarms could wipe it all out.
    It was all me gearswapping into a Monster Signa until level 51. There was a reason that staff along with Whitebox CHR gear was so much gil back then.

At any rate, whether or not BST used to be good at soloing exp - EVERY JOB is good at soloing EXP now so it's really irrelevant.
    I'm just stating my expereince from what another poster said that beastmaster was never a solo job when in reality it was a very good solo job compared to other jobs at the time *Talking 2003/2004 here* which couldn't handle anything over even match at a certain level.

In fact, BST is WORSE now than other jobs because you can't call trusts with a charmed pet - really hurting BSTs a lot.
    What's thie Charm thing you're talking about again?

And none of that has anything to do with uncapping all our old jugs so we have a good selection of pets and they can focus on making new, interesting pets than giving us the EXACT SAME PETS over and over again at different caps. It's an insult.
    An insult to who? I'm not insulted by this. Amused maybe but not even the least bit upset about it. If you're going to be so angry all the time over these minor nuggets of w/e the devs are giving Beastmaster, Maybe you should take WoW's stance and take a break. This game... hell any game at all isn't worth yours or anyone else's stress. :|

I really raged when I saw a frigging white sheep, a brown lizard ... etc. Like seriously... ugh. Not even a reskin? Like SERIOUSLY.
    It doesn't really matter to you that much does it? We don't even know how good they'll be yet so there's no reason to get up in arms yet right? It's obviously these new jobs will all be in Item Level range so it just comes down to how solid they are in terms of accuracy, attack, evasion and HP.
    (0)
    Last edited by SNK; 08-29-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Just because a job can solo doesn't mean it's a solo job. And, aren't we getting off topic here?
    SNK is only here to argue that everything's fine, BST doesn't need help - from here on in I am ignoring their posts as they clearly don't actually want BST to be a viable job.

OH HO HO! A white sheep! We're in luck folks!

Why you angry that BSTs getting shafted again!

Sure BST is underwhelming, but I'm going to argue against every fix anyone suggests!
    (5)
    Last edited by Olor; 08-30-2014 at 02:21 AM.
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Character
    Snk
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Olor View Post
    SNK is only here to argue that everything's fine, BST doesn't need help -
    Please don't put words into my mouth.

from here on in I am ignoring their posts as they clearly don't actually want BST to be a viable job.
    "Their"? And I never said I wanted beastmaster to not be a viable job. Again with the words in people's mouths.

OH HO HO! A white sheep! We're in luck folks!

Why you angry that BSTs getting shafted again!
    This BST isn't angry at all. I just don't give a rat's ass so much to the point that I'm not going to rage over it on a message board where I know any and all suggestions about this will be ignored.

Reality is a motherfucker isn't it?

Sure BST is underwhelming, but I'm going to argue against every fix anyone suggests!
    I swear you're really trying too hard here Olor. All I'm seeing is a load of vemon/hate over a game that's 11+ years old. When does it stop mattering to you that you finally get a clue that beastmaster will never be what you want it to be? The sad part is I'm probably a lot better geared then your beastmaster *In fact I'm sure of it since you're complaining about CoP cockblocking you from getting your relic reforged* and even then with all the shinys I have for the job, I'm still just a beastmaster.

The End?
    (2)

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Bumping the thread so it does slip into that great bit bucket in the cyber sky.
    (0)

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Bumping again; I can't wait to see these awesome, new pets!
    (1)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast