Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Kavik
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    As a 'returning to blu' kind of blu, with most of the my spells already learned. It took me 1 day, without even using my af gloves (i left them in MH and was too lazy to go get them) with capped blu skill to get all but the WKR and the meeble spells. 1 day, all the spells. This is a pointless job category.
    (3)
    FFXI forever! 99 PLD THF DRG DNC WHM SCH BRD BLM BLU BST
    Burtgang Excalibur Aegis Ochain

Character
    Alphadeus
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Suddenly everyone is a game design expert. Well, the squeaky wheel gets the oil ^^ so if it's really a big problem, then either they'll fix it, or you'll continue to squeak. Either is fine with me.

They probably have a lot planned for Job Points, and maybe it's possible these were the only ones "ready" to be released. I don't know their development cycle, and I doubt you do either. When they first released the system, people were freaking out. First, because most of the categories were for level 1 SP and one of the first abilities learned for that job, and last, because it was so hard to get points, and each increase meant an equal amount of points for the next level (1 for 1, 2 for 2, 3 for 3 ... 10 for 10 I imagine). It's extremely time-consuming, but I guess that's what they want for now. They later introduced chains, but they don't seem to make much of a difference, either. For the most part, they seem to be "working their way up" the job in regards to the categories being released, and I guess either they have a purpose for making a "learning blue magic" category, or they're just looking at what the job does, and using that instead. I don't know.

But it is what it is. Complain all you want, but I prefer to focus on all the good they've been doing for the job. With the release of Haste II and Subduction, I've been having more fun with my Blue Mage than ever before. And with the increase of physical spell power, things can only go up (assuming spaghetti code doesn't kick in and does something bad >.>). It does seem odd to have a category for learning blue magic, when that really isn't an issue. I went 1/1 on Erratic Flutter and Subduction, and 1/2 on Thrashing Assault. Most of my 90+ spells were learned very quick, except for Thunder Breath for some reason, which gave me issues even after capping blue magic/merits/sword, wearing gloves, and fighting the Wyvern NM in Abyssea to learn. I will most likely ignore the category, and wait for the better ones down the line, instead of throwing hostility at the wind.
    (0)

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    You don't have to be a game design expert to see bad game design. If you're creating content that has no logical use so you have to add content to justify it, it is bad. It also goes against the philosophy they explained job points to be. Being sarcastic about saying suddenly everyone is an expert is throwing hostility around.

I'm not here to convince you or anyone, only to provide unbiased feedback. Some would prefer to keep on rose-colored glasses and emotionally view constructive criticism toward Square-Enix as attacking a person. Bad game design doesn't mean bad people or incompetent designers. Errors are made and the whole point of this forum is to gain perspective. You don't creative an avenue for such and say "all good stuff please", there is nothing to learn from that. But... to each his own.

However, if you're going to defend something, at least defend it on the merit of the ability itself versus saying what the development team has done that is good or making it about any person. As if it has anything to do with the nature of the usefulness of this ability. To me, adding that just sounds like you're just as emotionally charged as the OP, but on the opposite side and more subtle in your wording.
    (4)

Player
    To add to the very rational comment that Rwolf made, I'll just say that it's become evident over the years that if you don't complain, and loudly, square never know that they're doing wrong. I am going to assume that they've haven't put this job point in knowing that it's useless. Complaining makes it so they're less likely to do something so stupid in the future.. Theoretically.. (Stares at Stymie.)

Also, the last thing square needs is an echo chamber.
    (3)

Character
    Alphadeus
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I'm not particularly emotionally charged, however I can be a bit blunt, and I apologize if my wording sounds worse than it is. All I'm saying is that it's fine if people don't like something, to open their mouths and say something. It's obvious people are making a difference. I'm generally more passive, and I'll take what I can get when it comes to updates to the game. I agree that the job point category for learning Blue Magic is pointless, but I am also open to the possibility that it might serve a purpose down the line. I do not know what their philosophy is (or what they said it was) in regards to job points.

If for some reason they cannot increase how many spells we can equip, they have to find a way around it. I think it might have something to do with level caps (seeing as how we have been stuck with 20 spells since Level 71), and that the spell limit system was never designed to go past a certain point, while at the same time, they could add more blue magic points, and they're trying to work with that freedom by making single-spell job traits that unfortunately require us to get more Blue Magic points. I feel like the game was never meant to break level 75, but they decided to, and if it were possible to add more spell slots, it would probably take a lot of recoding, testing, etc. I don't know.

The original post had way too much vitriol, in my opinion. If you want change, you don't get it by swearing at the people trying to make the game better. Express yourself, but I believe a more civil approach is recommended (directed at OP, no one has given me any sort of the same hostile vibe). I'm happy to see the game get monthly updates, and while some of the content is questionable, and we are free to voice our concern, but NONE of us have the power to tell them what to do, or what they should've did instead. I don't see a point to the spell-learning category, so I'm just going to keep working on my blue magic points during the double capacity campaign. And if there's time, I'll try to get even more points.
    (0)

Character
    Kaeviathan
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Hahaha! I imagine a situation where new blue magic would be introduce with a 0.01% chance to be learned. Thus investing time on this Job point would be recommended.
    (0)

Player
    Disagree'd, the devs very likely do not play the game, we do, and while some of the ideas fronted on here are impractical and costly resource wise, a lot of them are much more rational and represent the meta of the game much more than what they suggest.

What's the point of player feedback, the whole point of these forums, if we can't suggest what they should do instead? This is, by far, the worst job point currently, and it perfectly highlights some of the inequities between job points across jobs. BLU actually has some good ones, but some jobs haven't gotten good ones from either updates.

I feel the job point system fails on two fundamental levels; 1) Oh god 30,000 points for one? Oh god why. 2) A fundamental lack of understanding of what jobs do and how they function. Now, if the job point system was something that accrued whilst leveling a job from 1-99, which would be kind of cool, that job point and some other might make sense.

I'd really like Square to hire some playtesters, people who play the game and inform them about the current meta-game, the current problems and player grievances. As it stands, these updates feel like they're trying to fix problems that they have no grasp on.

There's no reason we should have a representative say, on two occasions, that a job can do something when it can't (Case in point, Puppetmasters being able to cast Protect/Shell on their Automaton.)
    (4)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphadeus View Post
    I'm not particularly emotionally charged, however I can be a bit blunt, and I apologize if my wording sounds worse than it is. All I'm saying is that it's fine if people don't like something, to open their mouths and say something. It's obvious people are making a difference. I'm generally more passive, and I'll take what I can get when it comes to updates to the game. I agree that the job point category for learning Blue Magic is pointless, but I am also open to the possibility that it might serve a purpose down the line. I do not know what their philosophy is (or what they said it was) in regards to job points.
    If you don't know their design philosophy for this category then you can't defend for them. How can you even defend for them if you don't know?

This category won't "serve a purpose down the line" unless they're releasing 10 new spells every month, are they going to do that?

If not then this category is nothing but a flawed design. Most BLU that care about the job probably already have all spells before the update.
    (1)

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Learning blue magic job points.
    Hands down this is the worst capacity point category they have ever made and could ever make.

I am really easy going on SE and give them a lot of slack when others complain, but in the words of the internet in the words of the great Captain Picard. "What the fuck is this shit?!"
    (1)

Character
    Damane
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    while the category is meh, i look at it as an optional source. there is no need to spend job points on something you deem worthless. We have gotten allready one of the best job points categorys: Blue magic points +. No other Job point category comes even close to what Blue magic points + offers for BLU.
    (0)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast