Thread: Bst jugs

Player

Bst jugs

This is not a rant thread, but rather, a simple question for the devs; why are bst pets called familiars? Bst are not witches nor are our jugs magical.
    (0)
    Last edited by WoW; 07-30-2014 at 08:18 AM.

That's a good question!
    Out of curiosity I dug around the net for a definition and came up with "intimate friend," "close companion," and even "moderately tame" (with the example given as "familiar animal").
    More than likely though, it could just refer to the animal spirit summoned to serve a person, since you use a broth to entice the creature to your side.
    But good point! BSTs aren't like the Witch Doctor class in Diablo 3. Rather than being magic, the game lore says that this job class trains to be able to communicate and control animals in Vana'diel. (Is anyone picturing Cesar Milan in a BST-suit?)
    After all this time I'm so used to the term, I dunno what else they could've called it.
    (1)

Player
    Yea, bst are tamers as opposed to magical beings; and their companions are merely animals. Run of the mill animals. I always thought that the jugs act as bait; for instance, set down some scarlet sap that may entice the beetle out of hiding, similar to pop items for the ground kings. This is also why I don't understand the lack of king jugs but I digress. Imo, companions would have sufficed, lol.

Most are named anyway, there is only one dortwin, falcorr, hobs, etc, and the ones that are not named could just be called eft, rabbit, tiger etc. I don't understand the familiar thing personally, seems unnecessary. Any devs have an answer to this?
    (0)
    Last edited by WoW; 07-30-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Well, if you go with the meaning of "companion" that was in Firefly ... lol. But yeah, that would be a good term.
    (0)