Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Balloon View Post
    Square hide behind Lore when it suites them. It's been evident for a while.
    Basically.

Perhaps even creating lore on the spot; never knew yztargs were intelligent; sure they are apes, but opo-opo are ape/monkey-ish as-well. I mean, it is their game, hence they control the lore, but come on now, lol, really, lol? Numerous mobs are un-charmable, not sure it is an intellect thing, i mean, Panopots and hecteyes are able to cast, hence may be intelligent, but cocks appear pretty simple, but yet, uncharmable.

As I was saying; SE is lazy with the jugs. There are a tooooon of large mobs; they may equate to the number of medium/small size mobs. Translation; we are going to keep recycling rabbits, sheep, etc. Also, wasn't Raphie large? Hmmmm.
    (5)

and the slug has "en slow" on its attacks so it's nonsense to say no to the matamata cause it can stun on hits. Come on. We need some decent jugs. And how have yztarg ever been portrayed as intelligent?
    (4)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Additionally, for monsters such as Harpeia, Yztarg, and Gnolls, lore-wise they are supposed to have intelligence that is close to humans, and as such they cannot be made into pets.
    Funny, humans have intelligence "that is close to humans" and they can still be charmed.
    (4)

Character
    Engelmond
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Grekumah View Post
    Greetings Beastmasters,

I think if I saw a Beastmaster summon any of the pets you suggested I would turn and run straight in the opposite direction!
    What do you see right now, Grekumah? A bunch of rabbits, crabs, grasshoppers and frogs, right? I'm a Level 119 veteran Beastmaster. Do you really think I want to call another fearsome...sheep?

I know WoW pointed out some of the most ferocious monsters of Vana'diel, but he's making a good point. Right now, again, we're veteran Level 119 Beastmasters...calling cute little bunnies and occasionally tanking things on Easy/Normal Mode with tulfaires if we're bored. We could use some fear. My Guttler, proud as it is, should not be more intimidating to the enemy than my familiar. Something is amiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    I totally agree with SE not adding Dragon pets. In Role-playing Lore, Dragons are the oldest creatures in all worlds, they are the most intelligent creatures by far, and also they have magical abilities that rival the greatest mages.
    These factors would mean that Dragons are simply too old, smart and magical to fall prey to "charm." They are not "beasts" in the sense of wild animals, which are the Beastmaster's traditional charm target, and replicated in the jugpets. Dragons are more like ancient gods. Whenever Dragons have served people, it has always been by choice - for example Dragon-Riders were able to use Dragons as battle steeds because the Dragons respected the rider and shared a common cause. Sometimes a powerful wizard would enslave a Dragon - but usually this would backfire and the wizard would perish, because Dragons are smart enough to break spellbonds soon enough.
    Please explain the Kindred Beastmasters in Dynamis-Xarcabard, then, unless you are actually referring to Wyrms, which I agree should be off-limits.
    (3)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Yeah I meant Dragons as in actual big spellcasting giant mobs with Names. This is not FFXI related, in the history of RPG Dragons always have Names, they are always centuries old, always powerful spellcasters, always smarter than humans.

I understand this thread is about BST, my first lvl 75 job was Bst75/whm37 in 2005 (it took me all of 2004 and half of 2005 to solo Bst lvl 1-->75 lol) and I went on to play Bst75 as main until Pup arrived. So I get what you're saying about not being able to charm some mobs and how that doesn't make sense, I've thought that too over the years and I agree with you.

My point was just that actual major [true] Dragon pets wouldn't work for me because I grew up in AD&D roleplaying and for me Dragons are not part of the normal species groups, they are not the kind of mob that would become a pet unless they wanted to.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Balloon View Post
    I just want to put a vote against locking anything that goes towards fixing the job into a R/E/M. I'm sick of their fixes being via items. Jug pet ilvl, Satchets and Divinators are bs. Utter BS. Pet food too.

If you're willing to admit that there's something broken then fix it with actual, concrete fixes.
    I think there's an issue with the hard-cap at 99 that makes most post-99 issues have to be fixed with gear. if the answer was a new job ability or spell that can be added at 99 or lower that's fine, but if it's something dependent on our ilevel progression it has to be done with gear-or at least with that being the leveling mechanism they've chosen it has to go through that. job points aren't the answer with their low accumulation rate and their generally being weaker than merit point boosts. They can make pet fixes, but only on jugs, however it has to be done with a gear fix as a jug IS gear. but one thing that might be workable is an adjustment to the potency of beast affinity merits-although I always liked that they could keep a jug viable longer than it was built for because it saved money (I still used funguar jugs at 75 because BA made them viable all the way up with relic gloves).

oh, and we absolutely need a blm jug, or at least something that can effectively deal with magic jobs. and a new thief jug that can reach the current cap since even falcorr doesn't reach 119 with full merits. Seems the answer to me is to take a level 119 mob X that exists in the wild as the base when designing the jug and then working backwards to the ilevel you want the jug to start.
    (0)

The scorpions and dragons and wyrms and rocs and such that beastmen have seem to crush the lore aspect somewhat. Unless the point is to create drama and excitement, the "ohsh*t look at what their army brought" type thing. Perhaps it's supposed to imply that things happen differently in the Crystal War and alternate dimensions (Dynamis), that in current/modern Vana'diel the five races cannot do such things, something to instill fear and excitement and set those mobs apart. Of course it doesn't stop us from speculating and asking for better pets.
    The DRG job lore seems to indicate that it is a "lost" job class, and all we get now is a tame baby wyvern. Ok, so yeah maybe we as players can't have a big guy like Bravo.
    Really though, I have yet to see a reason why BSTs can't have scorpions and rocs and whatever else that don't have some weird animation.
    (2)

Player
    Greetings Beastmasters,

I think if I saw a Beastmaster summon any of the pets you suggested I would turn and run straight in the opposite direction!

When it comes to these larger-sized monsters, many of them have auto-attacks and movement animations that are different than your average, run of the mill monsters, so it would be tricky to make them charmable or summonable with jugs in various areas.

Additionally, for monsters such as Harpeia, Yztarg, and Gnolls, lore-wise they are supposed to have intelligence that is close to humans, and as such they cannot be made into pets.

With that said though, we will continue to add a variety of new jug pets as we move forward, but please understand that there are some monsters that we cannot add as pets.
    Gonna wait and see if yztargs, harpeia, and mantids, etc are implemented in monstrosity; but can visit numerous areas^^ Those wings do indeed make harpeia somewhat large, but the rest appear to be medium size mobs. If they are playable by the players in mon, I will also call foul.

Down-sized adamantoise, but made our pugil jug quite large. I am not buying SE's excuses.
    (2)

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I have the agree with the consensus here. I'm not buying into that response and "drinking the Kool-Aid".

I want diversity in Beastmaster jug pets. Jobs, traits, some with additional effects on attacks, and most of all I want to feel powerful by summoning powerful animals.

Larger Size & Movement Animations: We got an adamantoise and it was smaller and worked just fine. We have the option to toggle off ground shaking in options.

Additional Effects & Area Attacks: Gooey Gerard has an Enslow effect so this is invalid. There is a ton of options for this.
    • Remove some or all additional effects.
    • Keep some or all additional effects but like Gooey Gerard give them a proc rate.
    • Make the player use pet TP on an aura or stance that allows certain additional effects.
    • Limit some of their AoE/Conal attacks to single attacks. There are a ton of monster abilities, weapon skills, etc that don't do what the animation looks like it does.
    • Or leave some of the AoE/Conal attacks in and make that a benefit and downside to using them.
    Lore Perspective: Having a Beastmaster charm or jug more fearsome beasts doesn't alter lore. If anything, it's a testament to stronger Beastmasters. We have Beastmaster NPCs (of the five races) who can summon multiple large beasts or an army of worms. At the very least lore wise, we should be completely capable of taming larger game.

Do we really need to have a rigid assortment of rabbits, mandragora, and crabs because that's all Vana'diel Beastmasters can handle? As a few have stated following the lore argument, there are not only humanoids but animals who can charm players, but it's not ok vice-versa? Summoners can make a pact with powerful avatars and Puppetmasters can team up with a sentient automaton. However a Beastmaster making a pact with a sentient beast, a job that's known for their animal empathy and knowledge of animal prowess can't? That just sounds lame.

And my last point, it's a game. I am the first to agree with them on certain lore elements like dragons. However, tell the dev team to loosen up a little and let the players have some fun. I think it's completely viable to have some stronger beast type creatures as pets.
    (9)
    Last edited by Rwolf; 08-01-2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: changed: animal empathy not human

Player
    Greetings Beastmasters,

When it comes to these larger-sized monsters, many of them have auto-attacks and movement animations that are different than your average, run of the mill monsters, so it would be tricky to make them charmable or summonable with jugs in various areas.

With that said though, we will continue to add a variety of new jug pets as we move forward, but please understand that there are some monsters that we cannot add as pets.
    Come on, man! Throw us a bone here! We just want a respectable, consistently even-match pet!
    (3)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast