Character
    Billnes
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    << Deleted by author >>
    (0)
    Last edited by Billnes; 08-10-2015 at 09:18 PM.

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Billnes View Post
    Since I'm not going to upgrade it to Win7, then I'm out of ideas & don't know what else to do.
    What are you needing to do at all? Very confusing post. <.< I know Microsoft has stopped supporting XP, but that doesn't mean it's suddenly not going to work anymore.
    (1)
    7/10/14

Character
    Rivicus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    XP will work fine for the game. If it is all you are using it for you should be fine. Just remember that Microsoft and SE both do not officially support XP anymore. This means any issues you may have you will have to deal with on your own.
    (0)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop as a dedicated FFXI game play client. The Dell came from the factory with XP Media Center Edition installed. Since I don't have extra licenses for Windows 7, I have not upgraded. An official Microsoft web site said that FFXI & Win 8 / 8.1 are compatible. However, with a puny 1.73GHz Cenrtino Duo CPU, only 2 Gb of RAM and a 80Gb (3/4 full) HDD. I don't think Win 8 or 8.1 is in the cards for this laptop.

Micro$oft (not a typo) and the ZD network has not been mincing words. They are going hot & heavy on the fear mongering. And, to be quite honest I've found my self unable to dismiss a small quantity of it. I have no personal information on the E1705, As I stated above, it's being used exclusively for FFXI, I know not to use the IE6 that on it, I've installed Google Chrome, it's been upgraded to Service Pack #3 and I'm using the free edition of Avast. I've done everything I could think of for this machine. Since I'm not going to upgrade it to Win7, then I'm out of ideas & don't know what else to do.

Thank you very much for your time, effort and consideration in this matter.

Regards,
    Bill N. - Long Island, New York
    The answer, of course, is "onions".
    (1)

Player
    I'm using a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop as a dedicated FFXI game play client. The Dell came from the factory with XP Media Center Edition installed. Since I don't have extra licenses for Windows 7, I have not upgraded. An official Microsoft web site said that FFXI & Win 8 / 8.1 are compatible. However, with a puny 1.73GHz Cenrtino Duo CPU, only 2 Gb of RAM and a 80Gb (3/4 full) HDD. I don't think Win 8 or 8.1 is in the cards for this laptop.

Micro$oft (not a typo) and the ZD network has not been mincing words. They are going hot & heavy on the fear mongering. And, to be quite honest I've found my self unable to dismiss a small quantity of it. I have no personal information on the E1705, As I stated above, it's being used exclusively for FFXI, I know not to use the IE6 that on it, I've installed Google Chrome, it's been upgraded to Service Pack #3 and I'm using the free edition of Avast. I've done everything I could think of for this machine. Since I'm not going to upgrade it to Win7, then I'm out of ideas & don't know what else to do.

Thank you very much for your time, effort and consideration in this matter.

Regards,
    Bill N. - Long Island, New York
    They just aren't going to update it anymore, it will still work with FFXI or most anything else you can already run.
    (0)

Player
    Seriously? Micro$oft? Are you 12?
    (1)

With XP being out of support, it is possible they can update the game in a way that will break XP compatibility. They aren't testing anymore on XP. That and security vulnerabilities not being patched for XP anymore are the big deals. More and more software is eventually going to update to the point that it no longer works on XP. There's a limit to how stable you can make something with an old and crumbling foundation, which is essentially what XP is. Nobody wants to support it anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premiu...ords=windows+7

Win7 also isn't that expensive... Of course, rather than trying to upgrade an old laptop to a newer OS, you may just be better served getting a replacement. I see systems capable of running this game at WalMart in the $300 range. You can afford the subscription for this game, so you can afford something in that budget.
    (0)

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    More and more software is eventually going to update to the point that it no longer works on XP. There's a limit to how stable you can make something with an old and crumbling foundation, which is essentially what XP is. Nobody wants to support it anymore.
    Not that you're wrong, but as long as PS2 support is a reality in FFXI, I can't imagine them intentionally dropping XP's ability to run FFXI. Not to say something won't slip through, if they actually don't test on XP, which I think they would.
    (0)
    7/10/14

Character
    Rivicus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    You can actually run FFXI on any platform pretty much.

SE simply no longer supports XP. However FFXI will still run on it. Its very possible they no longer have XP rigs to play test and debug on. However considering the continued PS2 support. they are probably still limited to the older libraries to ensure cross-compatibility. This means of course. there may be XP specific bugs that SE doesn't know about that they will be unwilling to fix. It is a risk of running it on a platform no longer used by developers.

Most people will tell you to get Windows 7 or a new rig. I say push it out or find another work around. At least until you can afford a cheep rig to run it on.
    (0)

Character
    Ramzi
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Bill, your initial post seems to assume that we know exactly what "fear mongering" has been directed at you, when in reality we have no clue. It's almost like you forgot to post the back story. Anyway, what others have said, until FFXI no longer works, why be worried?
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast