Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    The point I'm making is a game has a totally hidden leveling system with few players around that forces you to check online for leveling is dumb, most people that may try this game won't do it.

Why not have a big ! over important npcs if you are under a certain level. The point is this game needs players and it's going to lose them due to hidden features.
    It's not a totally hidden system. There are plenty of in-game prompts that point you to them. The alert to talk to the Records of Eminence and Tutorial NPCs happene every time you enter your zone, until they are talked to. SE put out a YouTube video detailing the new features when they released them. The patch notes also say what new features have been added. (They don't put detailed patch notes in PlayOnline Viewer anymore since theyare so long, and PlayOnline Viewer only has a resolution of 640x480 no matter how big you stretch it.). It's an online game, they expect you to interact with the web site a bit, or other web sites. That said, they don't hide these new systems, they point you to them pretty persistently. Content that used to be hidden, like unlocking a subjob, advanced job, or job-specific armor, are now in the Tutorial section of Records of Eminence, with detailed requirements on what is needed to unlock them and which NPC to talk to in which zone.

I'm questioning if you've really started and looked at it from the eyes of a current new player. It's not as bad as you are making it out to be, and I know a ton of people on GameFAQs and Reddit that have come new to the game recently and haven't had trouble. My LS has been recruiting new people on a regular basis, and the REDDIT LS on Asura is even more successful (often maxes out the 64 people limit of having a pearl equipped at the same time).
    (2)

Oh, and no one so far has mentioned the Mentor system... for what it's worth.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    Oh, and no one so far has mentioned the Mentor system... for what it's worth.
    I think we all know what the "Mentor" banner means when someone has it, and the words mentor or helpful ain't it.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    I think we all know what the "Mentor" banner means when someone has it, and the words mentor or helpful ain't it.
    No, we all don't, do tell.
    (0)

I must admit, You never see the people from top linkshells who've done it all and know most of the answers flagging up as a mentor. Mentors are generally rank 3 and levelling their first jobs.

I think part of the reason for this is how the mentor icon hides the bazaar icon. If we lost the icon from mentor, I'd happily flag up myself, but until that happens, {I want to make money}.

I'm always happy to answer a /yell or /shout though, if people need help and I'm in town.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonjustin View Post
    No, we all don't, do tell.
    Almost anyone could become a mentor, as such people got it just for the fancy M icon.

You either had people that had no idea what they were on about, that never used it as intended or trolled. It was almost always a sign of stupidity or someone being funny.

There were some great mentors that used it as intended but so many were awful that the whole system became a joke, the M icon became like the dunce cap. Unless there are very strict sign-up restrictions the system is bad.

Again there were some amazing mentors, just not enough to overcome the horrible ones that dragged the whole system through the mud.
    (0)

When it was first released, being level 30 was appropriate to becoming a mentor. Now you should have to own Maat's Cap or something that at least shows you know something about the game!
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    When it was first released, being level 30 was appropriate to becoming a mentor. Now you should have to own Maat's Cap or something that at least shows you know something about the game!
    Mentor isn't needed anymore anyway, Zak told us all we all only need Wiki and if we don't know how to find and use that we are worthless anyway!
    (0)

He has a point. Though Mentors (if they worked properly) would be nice for people playing full-screen who can't alt-tab, or who are on a console and not near a PC.
    (0)

Player
    Honestly the game doesn't get new players anymore apparantely, it's old. So mentor isn't needed.
    (0)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast