Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fish Usefulness

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Louispv View Post
    No item was like that until WoTG though. (Excluding nidhog scales which took 7 years to add a use for.) Everything was for a quest, or used in a recipe, or was useful in it's own right. It wasn't always the best use, since some gear was objectively better than others and some food better than others, but you could potentially use all of it. But then WoTG added a bunch of worthless fish, and then so did Seekers of Adoulin. Even the trash materials added in SoA for other crafts is made into usable items, even if those usable items became worthless when a higher item level came along later. But most of these fish are literally not even in any recipe. Just eat your bait and then npc them for less than the bait cost.

FFXIV did the same thing, but at least you can gut all the fish to get crystals for your other crafts, there.
    To counter your claims, these fish existed before WoTG:

Before WoTG came along, the Greedie fish had no uses other than to skillup.
    Gurnard has no uses other than skillup.
    Tricolored Carp has no uses other than skillup.
    Lungfish has no uses other than skillup.
    Before adding it to Inside the Belly well after it was added to the game, Yayinbaligi didn't have a use other than skillup.
    Gold Carp has no uses other than skillup.
    Sazanbaligi has no uses other than skillup.
    Crescent Fish has no uses other than skillup.
    Before level cap increase and adding it to Inside the Belly well after it was added to the game, Bladefish didn't have a use other than skillup.
    Tavnazian Goby has no uses other than skillup.
    Before adding it to Inside the Belly well after it was added to the game, Turnabaligi didn't have a use other than skillup.
    Before adding it to Inside the Belly well after it was added to the game, Giant Chirai didn't have a use other than skillup.
    Before adding it to Inside the Belly well after it was added to the game, Tricorn didn't have a use other than skillup.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

Quote Originally Posted by Olor View Post
    That's cool and all but...

is nothing is being done to improve the fish that are currently worthless?
    Ha! That's not how it works! Instead, they make the old less wanted (via fishing at least).

I'm of course referring to matsya, and how they can be obtained via the Mog Gardens now. It's cool, in that pretty much anyone can find one, and well, it's not that there have been many around for people to buy, for which the reason is of course the effort it takes to reel in even one of them.

Here's a bit something (manually kept notes, which are probably not absolutely 100% error-free) from between

07/07/1198 Watersday 10:22
    Waxing Gibbous (62%)
    28 Apr., 2014 0:10:30

and

05/07/1207 Firesday 10:55
    Waning Crescent (29%)
    04 Sep., 2014 12:40:13

with a skill level of 101 (start) to 109 (end), with all the equipment on top including Mega Moglification towards the end of the way (which only seemed to make things worse, hahahadgfh...):

Total Casts 3592

Matsya 166
    Snapsya 275
    Jellyfish 373
    Monster 290
    Dividedbyzarrro 4
    Failfish 5
    Nothing 1050
    Arrowwood log 352
    Rusty 1082
    bucket 264
    leggings 522
    subligar 296

That's about 740 drill calamaries and/or dwarf pugils, from which actually only 426 I fished for myself between

3/1/1193 Watersday 10:41
    Waning Gibbous (62%)
    7 Feb., 2014 14:32:52

and

11/09/1206 Watersday 6:10
    Waxing Gibbous (71%)
    23 Aug., 2014 18:14:21

which was about 1673 cave cherax (that is, 25% of them had bait). The rest, if my notes are to be believed, came from log-in campaigns (in which by the by I think their price is still too high!). I did not keep a record on the exact amount of bait I got from these campaigns, unfortunately, but as long as my matsya and cave cherax notes are not wildly off, the numbers should be quite accurate.

That's almost half a year for two (2) shaper's shawls and indeed only 166 matsya.

Obviously I did not fish every day, all day, but when I did, it would be pretty much the only thing I would/could do that day in Vana'diel.

What I'm saying is, that it's cool that more people have a chance for the shawl, but actually obtaining the fish for money making was made even less appealing than what it was (which it was not at all to begin with). The amount of lost bait is simply too high, and to get more is very time consuming, so one is not likely to sell them to people (what made me do this and actually level up fishing from 45 to 109 was to get the shawl to my friend; I've never sold a single matsya).

I guess what I'm also trying to say is, I would hope they made them more... fishable... especially if they insist on dropping their worth over at the auction house. Of course, if they changed the bait, or via other means made them more useful, botters would flock over at them and reduce the price, be it NPC or AH, like they always do. :[

(I never did fish hakuryu, so I don't care much for that change, but it's still sad that lowering the NPC vendor price is all they will do to battle against that plague... rant rant ranty rant.)

Quote Originally Posted by Protey View Post
    To counter your claims, these fish existed before WoTG
    Some of those you listed have been used for guild points and/or the fish ranking (from which the latter can be argued to go towards skillupses, but still!).
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Protey View Post
    To counter your claims, these fish existed before WoTG:
    All of those are for fish ranking, or guild points, except the gurnard. I forgot that existed.

Even adding the new fish to guild points would be nice. Anything to keep from getting tricorn as the point fish. (You need a key item for it to even bite, then you can only catch it in the newtpool, between midnight and 2 am. Since the ferry only goes through the newtpool at midnight every other day, that's 4 minutes out of every 2 hours it CAN bite, and with a 1/50~ bite rate.... WTF)
    (0)
    Last edited by Louispv; 11-08-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Louispv View Post
    All of those are for fish ranking, or guild points, except the gurnard. I forgot that existed.

Even adding the new fish to guild points would be nice. Anything to keep from getting tricorn as the point fish. (You need a key item for it to even bite, then you can only catch it in the newtpool, between midnight and 2 am. Since the ferry only goes through the newtpool at midnight every other day, that's 4 minutes out of every 2 hours it CAN bite, and with a 1/50~ bite rate.... WTF)
    Sazanbaligi is not used for fish ranking nor guild points.
    Tavnazian Goby is not used for fish ranking nor for guild points.
    Yayingbaligi is not used for fish ranking nor for guild points.
    Turnabiligi is not used for fish ranking nor for guild points.
    (0)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3