Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Shokox
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

Fixes to Current Ninja Job

Heya all. I haven't seen a serious post on fixes to the Ninja job, so decided to post on up on what I feel should be changed to make Ninja better as a whole. Funny thing, fixing old oversights in NIN might possibly be the huge update people are looking for, instead of adding "new" spells or Job Abilities. I'll split them up into 5 sections and go from there:

1) Hidden (unused) spells: This is possibly the biggest change that could be made to NIN that would also have the greatest effect. It's no surprise to anyone that NIN is missing a vast number of spells between lvl 48 and lvl 75.

Jubaku: Ni/San - Theres no reason why these shouldn't be used currently. They were likely not added along with other spells, due the the game balance in 2004 before merit points were added, and seen as an oversight there after. Jubaku: Ni's paralyze effect should be just under Paralyze II at max potency and just above Mind Blast. San's Effect would be over a max potency Paralyze II by a good margin, but RDM now has the JA Saboteur that makes up for lack of potency.

Kurayami: San - Would be ninja's most important spell to cast. Kurayami: Ni is matched with Blind II at max potency (both -30 Accuracy), but the fairly recently added spell Auroral Drape completely floors the spell in potency (-60~70 Accuracy). Adding this spell would greatly enhance a NIN's tanking role in conjunction with Evasion gear. Say... at -50~60 Accuracy Down?

Hojo: San - Similar reason to Jubaku. Hojo: Ni's Slow effect (18%~) is far lower than a max merited Slow II effect (39%~), and even lower than Slow's max effect (29.3%~). Even so, RDM has Saboteur In that, theres no reason why this shouldn't be added added as well as a level 70~75 spell.

Dokumori: Ni/Dokumori: San - Plenty of Poison spells that trump Dokumori: Ichi in either potency or duration. BLU get the upperhand just by using Disseverment. Then again, with the addition of Saboteur, NIN falls further behind in this regard. While not seen as a bread and butter spell for a NIN to use, an update to match other jobs would still be nice.

Utsusemi: San - Ahh yes, the spell that all NINs across the world are openly or secretly hoping for. Obviously if it was added, the spell usage would probably be at 2-3 seconds to cast, and a 1 min recast. It would also likely give 5 shadows. Considering that (and Iga Kyahan +2!), it would be a wonderful spell to finally add that would vastly aide with NIN tanking, or just evading hits while in a damage dealing stance. Enmity decay could be tied to this spell as well, in lieu of the previous Utsusemi spells.

2) NIN Merits: There are many problems with NIN merits... most of them are nigh useless, or out of place.

Sange - Would have been useful, but we have the entire Throwing/Shuriken problem. That alone renders the ability outdated and now useless. see #3!

Subtle Blow Effect - Have been rendered outdated and archaic due to the addition of both Yurin: Ichi & Myoshu: Ichi, as well as various pieces of NIN gear that boost larger amounts of Subtle Blow + (example, simply wearing a Heed Ring gives you more Subtle Blow + than meriting the effect 5 times to cap). Perhaps this merit can instead give a much more generous boost to Subtle Blow (+10~20), or can be extended (or changed) even give an extra bonus as well. Two extra bonuses I can see working would be either Critical hit rate %+ or Critical damage rate %+.

San Elemental Spells - Totally out of date and should be revised. Theres no reason why NIN should have to choose between San spells to merit for damage, especially after the magic attack increase (and the addition of Futae) update to all spells. So why not remove all of these as merits, re-add them into the game as usable scrolls (allowing everyone access to San elemental ninjutsu), and then instead remake these merits give an additional effect to the corresponding elemental spell casted? The effect could be a sharp increase to Enmity gained, or a more potent elemental resistance debuff (all spells currently have a -30 to resist, that lasts only a meager 15 seconds). It could also remain as a sharp magic attack increase to the specific line of elemental spells (but this would overlap the tier 1 merits) In re-adding San elemental scrolls, they could be sold at NPCs for a super low price of 5,000 to 10,000 gil, so as to not anger NINs that have already maxed merits into one or two spells prior.

3) Throwing: Throwing for NIN is out-of-date and should be fixed.

Shrikens - The cost for these to be made are simply too high to make, and even then the only "useful" (and now out of date) Shurikens to be made are Fuma-- the craft to make Fuma gives a pathetic yield of throwing stars (3~12) to justify ANYONE making them at all, unless for novelty purposes. To add insult to injury, one craft consists of using both a Gold Ingot, Tama-Hagane, and a Mythril Sheet to perform the synthesis. Not only that, they stack to 12 instead of 99. Futhermore the synthesis to create these is level 85 Smithing, 45~50 Goldsmithing. This simply means that constant High Quality synthesis simply will not happen. Assuming this is my server of Carbuncle and I made a stack of Fuma Shuriken with no High Quality (4 synths) with the current prices of materials, that's approximately 120,000 gil for 12 shuriken (1,100,000~1,300,000 gil for around 99). The alternative is buying the shuriken from the NPC for 57,960 gil per star. Instead, we can look to a more powerful Koga Shuriken instead-- however, Koga Shuriken are so rare to aquire (can only be obtained by doing ISNMs) rendering this also as a novelty. The most forward fix to change this would be to add a Syngergy synthesis to all of these weapons so that the quantity will be increased (like Bullets), allowing NIN to make use of them (Koga should be added as well). From there, newer shurikens should also be added, since the level cap has been increased.

Ninja Tool Expertise - This trait should be extended to shurikens and other consumable throwing items, ala Recycle. This trait could be set at a much lower expension rate under Yonin as well (-10% instead of -33% for Ninja Tools).

Sange - Would no longer need a fix if the first two problems were addressed, but a neat corresponding change to Sange would be to add the Job Ability itself to NIN without merits, and instead change the merit system so that with each increasing merit, one less shadow would be consumed per shuriken thrown.

4) Parrying: Parrying (and by extension Guard for MNKs) has the potential to be a wonderful asset to any fledgling ninja that decides to go the tanking route. However, as it is currently, it does next to nothing on higher level monsters that matter. Once monster levels con "Even Match" and above, the activation rate on Parrying is reduced to 5~8%. Raising this rate of activation across all levels of opponents above "Even Match" would make this trait more than a novelty. I have seen many ideas on how to raise it as well (via Job Traits, as a percentage increase under the effect of Yonin, as a Job Ability). Raising the skill up rate just a smidgen more will also be beneficial.

5) Mijin Gakure: Shouldn't be a two-hour ability, plain and simple. Personally, I haven't met many ninja that have used this 2 hour in any strategic way, other than to death warp home. It's original intent was probably for it to be a huge instantaneous damaging final attack to save the user's experience points as party members flee to safety, or saved due to the ability killing the target. Unfortunately, the damage for the 2 Hour is often extremely low to be effective in defeating the target at all. This ability was later converted as a nod towards the accepted tanking role that the players gave to NIN-- but remaining on a 2 hour timer makes the ability vastly useless. Placing it on a 10 minute timer with something else added and replacing it as the 2-hour, seems more reasonable (this also in turn brings more value to the mythic weapon, Nagi).

If anything, these would be my ideas for fixing up NIN, rather than some off-the-wall additions that aren't really needed at the moment. Any serious discussion is much appreciated!
    (7)

Funny thing, fixing old oversights in NIN might possibly be the huge update people are looking for, instead of adding "new" spells or Job Abilities.
    I'm sure that goes for almost all jobs sadly. Most annoying are oversights that have been fixed in other ways. Let's take Summoner for example. While Wards should have had a static 5 min duration, SE decided to make you get summoning skill to reach it instead. It solved the problem, but by making you wear 10 sets extra of armor.

I won't go that deeply into your post, but I think most 2 hours could as well be 20 min JAs. Astral flow? Well, the only difference is that COR's won't get 20k gil for resetting the ability. Not sure if it would be overpowered to stop giving a job gil, but I'm sure some would say so. But yes, NIN 2 hour could be a 20 min JA without people complaining. But many others really should too.
    (1)

Character
    Rambus
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamasala View Post
    I'm sure that goes for almost all jobs sadly. Most annoying are oversights that have been fixed in other ways. Let's take Summoner for example. While Wards should have had a static 5 min duration, SE decided to make you get summoning skill to reach it instead. It solved the problem, but by making you wear 10 sets extra of armor.

I won't go that deeply into your post, but I think most 2 hours could as well be 20 min JAs. Astral flow? Well, the only difference is that COR's won't get 20k gil for resetting the ability. Not sure if it would be overpowered to stop giving a job gil, but I'm sure some would say so. But yes, NIN 2 hour could be a 20 min JA without people complaining. But many others really should too.
    Soul Voice , wild card, Meikyo Shisui, blood weapon( with Specific weapons like KC), chainspell, and Tabula Rasa are the only ones I really see being OP on a 20 min timer

bad 2hr jas ( 2 hours to use the following effects is a poor idea ) are the following:
    PLD ( too short/ can still get killed by magic)
    THF ( see PLD)
    BLU ( plain useless even if it was 5 min cooldown)
    NIN ( and the mythic weapon that makes ti better is just as useless)
    RNG ( rare but IT CAN MISS!)
    (2)
    Last edited by Rambus; 03-31-2011 at 02:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Spending Gil = Game balance, next question please tia
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    They're reading and agreeing that these are very good ideas.... to be implemented to rune fencer.

Just like any good suggestions in the RDM thread get applied to SCH.

Character
    Kyte
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoko View Post
    Ninja Tool Expertise - This trait should be extended to shurikens and other consumable throwing items, ala Recycle. This trait could be set at a much lower expension rate under Yonin as well (-10% instead of -33% for Ninja Tools).

Sooooo you want to nerf it......?
    (0)

Character
    Raineh
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 90
    Ninja is one of the last jobs that should be looked at for a potential overhaul.
    (2)

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    I'm sorry but I have trouble feeling sorry for ninjas when I'm always seeing them spam Blade: Hi for 4-6k damage.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Skull View Post
    I'm sorry but I have trouble feeling sorry for ninjas when I'm always seeing them spam Blade: Hi for 4-6k damage.
    ^^^agreed. I have a hard time feeling sorry for nins when abyssea has clearly allowed them to usurp the tanking role almost entirely, relegating paladins to "no thanks" jobs for most situations.
    (1)

Character
    Shokox
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Sooooo you want to nerf it......?
    No not nerf it at all, it would retain the same conservation qualities for Ninja Tools, but act like a Recycle trait for throwing shuriken. Guess I could have worded that better, lol.
    (0)

Character
    Aisubeki
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Anethia View Post
    ^^^agreed. I have a hard time feeling sorry for nins when abyssea has clearly allowed them to usurp the tanking role almost entirely, relegating paladins to "no thanks" jobs for most situations.
    Have you even tried tanking on a low level ninja these days? For those unlucky enough to not get a keyspot/leech have to suffer pretending to be PLDs for quite a while before they even become even worth using. Every DD and their cousin can rip aggression from them, the only fact theyre still used as low level tanks is because it's hard to break a trend. NIN is not meant to, and never was meant to be a 'tank' pre Abyssea, and whoever in the community thought it'd be cool to waste consumables on doing so made a really awful trend.

YOU try dealing with trying to pretend to be a tank, because quite frankly, I hate it. Your damage dealing potential until 60+ is awful, spamming consumables doesn't really help if a DD can cap his hate before you can, and most people want to sync to IT on mobs rather than VT for comfortable tanking; so you are basically eating shadows and wasting gil. If anything, low level nin needs some rounding off. Blade: Hi doesn't account for EVERY nin out there, and frankly is a bad example for saying it's hard to feel sorry for them.
    (0)

Character
    Raineh
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 90
    You don't need Blade: Hi to be a good ninja
    (2)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast