Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Player
    Any chance of enhancing Dragoon as a DD without the Wyvern? No matter how strong of a defensive boost you give to the Wyvern, the number one thing that kills Wyverns is the Dragoon dying. If the Dragoon dies, the Wyvern dies, and on bosses and NMs, that tends to happen due to extremely powerful AoEs being spammed with no way to avoid other than /NIN shadows(which is why people are primarily bringing RNG to most current battlefields and Delves. Halving Call Wyvern to 10min would be reasonable.

Additions to "Fly High" should be made such that Spirit Jump and Soul Jump retain their individual TP bonus and Critical Hit bonuses even if the Wyvern is not present. It would make Fly High more attractive as an SP abilitiy in that it would be fully effective whether the Wyvern is present or not. If our Wyvern isn't present but we need an SP ability, Spirit Surge is out of the question, but to have Fly High be ineffective due to not having a Wyvern is a bit much. At least make it so at least 1 of our SP abilites can be at full strength regardless of the Wyvern's presence.

A cherry on top for DRG adjustments would be for Spirit Surge to reset the Call Wyvern timer. It's often that Dragoons tend to not use Spirit Surge in a hard battle because it only lasts 60-80 seconds, afterwards the Dragoon's effectiveness is greatly reduced for the remainder of the battle(no other job or SP ability has this downside). Unless the Dragoon used Call Wyvern before entering the battle, and the battle progresses past 20 minutes, can the Dragoon use Call Wyvern again after Spirit Surge. Due to this, most Dragoons won't use Spirit Surge because after it wears off, we can't use Spirit Jump, Soul Jump or Restoring Breath any more.
    (4)

Character
    Martel
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I'd like spirit and soul jumps wyvern bonuses to be active during spirit surge. The wyvern IS present after all... in spirit. <,<

If the wyvern jump bonuses were present, then spirit surge and fly high could become synergistic. Rather than being completely pointless to stack.

Rather than Having spirit surge reset call wyvern, I'd much rather the wyvern just reappear after spirit surge wears off, without consuming call wyvern recast. Because even if spirit surge reset call wyvern recast, after spirit surge, you'd use call wyvern and use the recast again. Then you've got 20 mins where if the wyvern, or you, die you're outta luck. Because of this, I rarely ever use spirit surge.
    (7)

Player
    It would be great if the 2 SPs for DRG could stack and be synergistic instead of counterintuitive. SE will probably say "use the right ability depending on the situation", but WAR, SAM, MNK can stack both of their SP abilities simultaneously for tremendously powerful boosts to their capabilities for 30-60 seconds.

As a DRG, if I use Spirit Surge, it's almost always for the JA haste boost which is neat and all but as soon as it wears off, I'm left without a Wyvern for some time(assuming I summoned my Wyvern at the start of the battlefield/Delve). That being said, being left without a Wyvern after Spirit Surge almost negates the damage boost during the SP ability because now I lost the special bonuses to Spirit Jump and Soul Jump and now Fly High becomes a lot less powerful because, lets face it, Fly High is a terrible SP ability if the Wyvern is not present, or if you have Ryunohige. With Ryunohige, Jump and High Jump do respectable damage due to Ryunohige's special crit bonus, but without Mythic Polearm or Wyvern, Fly High is very ineffective(Jumps are slow and their damage is not much better than a regular attack and the TP gain is slower than auto-attack at high Haste values).

Something needs to be done to either boost Spirit Surge and Fly High or change their Wyvern dependance. Since Spirit Surge handicaps the Dragoon for up to 20minutes by killing the Wyvern, it needs to be adjusted so that after the SP ability wears off, the Dragoon isn't handicapped(no other SP ability handicaps the player like Spirit Surge does). I propose the following modest adjustments:

1) Let Spirit Surge reset Call Wyvern upon use.
    2) Allow Fly High to guarantee the Wyvern Bonus properties to Spirit Jump and Soul Jump even if the Wyvern is not present.

Mijin Gakure was adjusted in the recent past to grant Reraise to the Ninja since they faced a similar problem; their SP ability handicapped the player and was too inconvenient to use. DRG's SP1 is similar in that after using the ability, we are in a state of weakened performance unless we had the Wyvern summoned before entering the battle and had let enough time elapse for the ability to cooldown completely.

The aforementioned adjustments would allow DRG to still have be just as effective AFTER using Spirit Surge as BEFORE they used Spirit Surge. If Spirit Surge is going to HANDICAP Dragoons for up to 20minutes after use, then either make it a lot stronger or better duration, or let it reset Call Wyvern timer. The adjustment to Fly High would grant us an SP ability that's useful in hard fights where our Wyvern cannot be used(due to the magic damage from Elemental Breaths triggering some kind of dangerous mob behavior like Perduable Raptor in Fracture or Ironclads in Raz'kanar Skirmish) or in situations where the Dragoon was killed with the Wyvern out(kills the Wyvern) or the Wyvern itself was defeated from high damage/Death/Doom). That would allow DRG to retain at least one SP ability that its effectiveness is not contingent in any way on our pet like Spirit Surge is.
    (3)
    Last edited by Ophannus; 07-19-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Mijin Gakure was adjusted in the recent past to grant Reraise to the Ninja since they faced a similar problem;
    I'm sorry what?
    (1)
    A time enjoyed is a time not wasted

Character
    Tennotsukai
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I wouldn't be surprised if drg receives several max hp boost traits this upcoming update along with the other jobs receiving it. Of course, this won't fix drg.
    (0)

Character
    Rendra
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Just leaving this here
    http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/43...uture-as-a-dd/
    Lets hope someone from the community team will show this to the Dev Team.
    (0)

Spirit Surge should not only reset the Call Wyvern timer, but if the wyvern is currently dead, it should call out a fresh one then instantly consume it! At least then the JA has SOME use, even if it's just as an emergency way to get a new wyvern when timer is down!
    (3)

Player
    Meant to say Mijin was adjusted to not have a weakness state.
    (0)

Player
    Spirit Surge should not only reset the Call Wyvern timer, but if the wyvern is currently dead, it should call out a fresh one then instantly consume it! At least then the JA has SOME use, even if it's just as an emergency way to get a new wyvern when timer is down!
    I thought about this but then I thought that to be fair, SP1 should fully rely on Wyvern and SP2 should not rely on Wyvern at all. I think it's better that way
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    I thought about this but then I thought that to be fair, SP1 should fully rely on Wyvern and SP2 should not rely on Wyvern at all. I think it's better that way
    I can understand your thinking, but consider that every other job's SP abilities have a use, either as an "Oshi'" moment, or as part of a strategic plan to take down a NM.

Spirit Surge, on the other hand has no real strategic use, other than perhaps for a non-Gungnir DRG to use when Angon wears for the def down from Jump. It's certainly no use in an emergency (unless that emergency is 1 of the DDs would REALLY like to Reduce their enmity?!?), since it makes you even more useless (can't use that extremely potent Healing Breath ((Which, ironically, is of more use than SS!))) and also actually reduces your damage output (OK, I've not done the maths, but I can't imagine your damage going up all that much just for having slightly higher stats and 12% more haste in a capped magic haste situation - unless you're /WAR and you've timed it perfectly so that you just used both jumps and healing breath and SS will wear before the timers are up?).

This is why I think that having SS recall the wyvern even if it's been killed, as well as resetting the timer, is a necessity. Remember that it's not too OP, since the wyvern called won't have been levelled up at all, so it's just your basic wyvern that you're getting the stats from.
    (2)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast