Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player

Red Mage and Dispel...

With the update that just went by RUN got a special trait to their Runes and Wards. When 3 Runes are active the Ward buffs can't be dispelled. This makes them quite powerful in my opinion especially against NMs like those which are able to dispel multiple or all buffs a player has with a single attack.

My request is can RDM have an effect like this added to Composure that does one of two things.

A: Allows Composure to mitigate the number of enhancing effects removed.

B: Allows Composure to be dispelled while leaving other effects in place.

RDM is a job which relies on it's enhancing magic in many cases. When we try to nuke or enfeeble we need our buffs to aid our MND, INT, and Haste. When we try to melee we need STR/DEX, Temper, and Haste. We always need our enhancing magic but so many NMs in this game can wipe every single one in a single attack such as Tojil or Gessho. We have Protect, Shell, Stoneskin, Aquaveil, Phalanx, Haste, Bar-Element, Bar-Status, En-Spells, Temper, Regen, Refresh, Gain-Spells, Spike Spells, and Composure.

Mind you that is a total of 15 self buffs and only counts RDM's own buffs ignoring any subjob spells or buffs from other jobs such as BRD. I personally try to keep up 13 of these 15 buffs at all times and when they're all dispelled I completely retreat from a battle or prioritize my buffs over everything else until I'm finished applying them. The fact these wear off over time is bad enough and a Renew spell or ability has never been given to us despite the need for it. It would be wonderful if we could at least in some way be given a defense against this type of attack.

To add insult to injury, I remember when RDMs asked for Dispel II, or a Dispel that could remove 2+ status' from enemies we were told it would be overpowered. That's flat out insulting in a way when you look at monsters that can remove 20+ buffs with a single attack. Then there are other monsters such as Sand/Gigaworms that can flat out absorb our entire list of buffs which then require just as many dispels to remove them all.

tl;dr: RDM needs a way to defend against Dispel already. RDMs can have all buffs dispelled in a single attack while being unable to dispel even 2 effects from mobs at the same time due to it being 'over powered'.
    (8)

BLU gets a full dispel from UL
    (0)

Character
    Rivicus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I'm glad you brought this up. It is like you are reading my mind. I've quickly been learning as of late that my buffs are seemingly worthless against most content that is worth anything. Most of my deaths have been due to things wiping my buffs and not necessarily due to my survivability and ability to take damage normally. RDM has always been a job that supported itself and others with enhancing magic and enfeebling magic, today we got news of a nice slew of spells being added to our arsenal. Yet it seems they won't matter unless they give us some solution to at least limit the despell effects of mobs.
    (0)

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I agree that it would be nice to have some sort of defense against dispel. I don't know if we should have A, which is pretty powerful. I do think Dispel should remain a flaw of RDM. Similar to how Amnesia can cripple a job like Dancer. Annoying but I get it. I do however, think your B idea would be really good. Composure is on a 5 minute recast. So being dispel immune once every 5 minutes sounds ok to me, or at least very dispel resistant.

On the Dispel II note. I completely agree that it makes no sense of being overpowered to add to our enfeebling arsenal. BLU now has a full dispel, not to mention a ton of dispel setting spells and SMN has had a subjob level "Dispel II" via Fenrir for awhile. I don't see the issue with it. It's not like Red Mage is suddenly going to be overpowered if they shave 10-20 seconds off spamming dispel for mobs that like to give 5+ buffs to themselves. It was our spell natively to begin with, we should be the most effective at its use.
    (3)

Character
    Rhonda
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    These abilities are actually intended to make the game more difficult. Imagine how PLD feel when Palisade/Reprisal get wiped (especially if you use Priwen) or when a MNK loses Protect/Counterstance/Haste. These all suck. Getting dispelled is supposed to suck.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
    These abilities are actually intended to make the game more difficult. Imagine how PLD feel when Palisade/Reprisal get wiped (especially if you use Priwen) or when a MNK loses Protect/Counterstance/Haste. These all suck. Getting dispelled is supposed to suck.
    There's a difference between dispelling 2~5 buffs and dispelling 15+ buffs. Abilities which dispel 3 effects like some Adamantoise can or other similar effects that are simply multi-dispel effects are just fine. The specific ones I have an issue with are those abilities which wipe every single buff a player has, in RDMs case this is literally upwards of 15 buffs when I do content such as Gessho. RUN in this most recent update got a special effect on it's runes which prevents ward effects from being dispelled by enemies when you have 3 runes active. RUN is a job with some high Enhancing Magic but it's by no means at the same level as RDM and I can think of no good reason RDM shouldn't have at least something similar to prevent buffs from being dispelled when RDM is the most powerful Enhancing Magic job.
    (3)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
    Except it doesn't add difficulty, it only makes us use RNG's and Aegis/OChain PLD.

SE has really gone overboard with making too many of the boss NM's have multi-dispell moves that they spam. It was a tactic to prevent buffing melee's and zerging but it's backfired and now we just use RNG's who keep their buffs while plunking hate onto the tank. An occasional nuked buff here or there still adds challenge without forcing everyone to cheese the fights.
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Since you brought up the 'bonus' to RUN, I'd just like to add that these abilities still suck. The only real benefit to this update of runes not being dispelled is that you can instantly hit vivacious pulse, and you can hit vallation/valliance to re-buff yourself faster, and you can hit Battuta if you saved it for such an occasion.

However, being hit by a WKR/Delve NM after you just had protect/cocoon/phalanx/stoneskin etc all removed, even in a full -PDT set, you still die pretty quickly afterwards!
    (0)

Player
    This is flat out fucking stupid...

(3)

Character
    Martel
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonjustin View Post
    This is flat out fucking stupid...

*Slow Clap*

Way to post a screen shot of a log that's been modified by a third party tool on the Official SE forum. I stand in awe of your sheer chutzpah, sir.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast