Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by peculiar View Post
    If you just want hq textures for models why not just pay modders to do it?
    Does the game engine accept higher-resolution textures?
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmato View Post
    Does the game engine accept higher-resolution textures?
    Higher resolution than those used throughout most of the game, yes. I don' know what the game engine's hard limit is, but it's well above what a lot of the textures in the game are saved at. Different texture resolutions are used for different things, although sometimes it doesn't make any sense (e.g. the horrendously low resolution carpet texture in the mog houses).

In some specific cases, the resolution of certain (All UI-related) textures in the game has been upgraded. For instance, the title screen logo was upgraded (at some point after I asked for it although it was probably already planned), and the resolution of the 3D fonts and icons was increased, and later the buttons on the title screen. That said, these changes only applied to the PC version.
    (0)

Character
    Firesoul
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I'd still like some comment, from the FFXI powers that be, on when ps2 support ends if they at least are going to alleviate some of the pain with modern hardware.
    FFXI runs like poo on my machine. Another poster asked if anyone else experiences random slowdowns for no reason, well I do also.

Plus with MS pushing us to Win10, there has to be some give from FFXI.
    Numerous people have issues trying to get FFXI to run on Win10, which again, MS is shoving down the entire world's population.
    So FFXI at least needs to be able to officially be supported on win10.

FFXI's platform page has not been updated in ages.

Resistance is futile.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Numerous people have issues trying to get FFXI to run on Win10,
    FFXI has no issues with win10 that I can tell. Some people don't have legacy components installed and that will prevent the game from running, but it's as simple as turning legacy components on. I havent seen evidence of "numerous" people not being able to run the game on win10.
    (0)

I'm have a crap ton of issues with FFXI on Win10. I re-installed it twice, and this morning I tried to play it, but it terminated because of something called 'Direct 3D'...
    (0)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Character
    Vinedrius
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeargi View Post
    I'm have a crap ton of issues with FFXI on Win10. I re-installed it twice, and this morning I tried to play it, but it terminated because of something called 'Direct 3D'...
    If you made sure your gpu driver isn't broken, try installing Directx (version 8.1 iirc) from the menu that opens up when you run the client setup, and yes, even if you normally use a higher version of Directx. I get bashed by more "techsavvy" people whenever I mention this to help others with this issue, but believe it or not, I had the same issue a few times in the past and installing that directx 8.1 package fixed it for me every single time.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeargi View Post
    Probably legacy components not installed. Or drivers not up to date. If you have an AMD card, if you have drivers from before last Novermber, they were very unstable on win10 and caused a lot of crashes in many games.

Other than that, there really isn't much of anything about win10 that would cause the game not to work if it worked on win 7 and 8.

Also @ previous post. Any person who tells you you don't need to install the directx that comes with every game is giving terrible advice. While people have only heard of things like DirectX 8, 9.0c, 10, 11 and 12, there are literally hundreds of builds of each version floating around, because every game was built on a different one and may only work correctly with that specific one. Thus you should ALWAYS proceed with directX installations included with every game. (And, as mentioned before, you need to have Legacy Components installed under Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off)

Steam Support created an excellent explanation of the above on their site, which you can find here:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...6252&l=English
    (The TL;DR explanation is developers aren't allowed to simply include the individual binaries they used in their install process. Microsoft REQUIRES that they run the DirectX installer instead).
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-17-2016 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinedrai View Post
    If you made sure your gpu driver isn't broken, try installing Directx (version 8.1 iirc) from the menu that opens up when you run the client setup, and yes, even if you normally use a higher version of Directx. I get bashed by more "techsavvy" people whenever I mention this to help others with this issue, but believe it or not, I had the same issue a few times in the past and installing that directx 8.1 package fixed it for me every single time.
    I went back through and opened the FFXI Setup, and only clicked the DirectX 8.1 Stopped 1/2 way and said that it was successfully installed. Also I hope nothing on this thing is broken. I just got this thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Probably legacy components not installed. Or drivers not up to date. If you have an AMD card, if you have drivers from before last Novermber, they were very unstable on win10 and caused a lot of crashes in many games.

Other than that, there really isn't much of anything about win10 that would cause the game not to work if it worked on win 7 and 8.

Also @ previous post. Any person who tells you you don't need to install the directx that comes with every game is giving terrible advice. While people have only heard of things like DirectX 8, 9.0c, 10, 11 and 12, there are literally hundreds of builds of each version floating around, because every game was built on a different one and may only work correctly with that specific one. Thus you should ALWAYS proceed with directX installations included with every game. (And, as mentioned before, you need to have Legacy Components installed under Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off)

Steam Support created an excellent explanation of the above on their site, which you can find here:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...6252&l=English
    (The TL;DR explanation is developers aren't allowed to simply include the individual binaries they used in their install process. Microsoft REQUIRES that they run the DirectX installer instead).
    I went in and turned on the Legacy option last night, and I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT730 with the drivers dated to 7/22/2015. And that's about it for info I really know. I'm Downloading the 12/21/2015 currently.
    (0)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Quote Originally Posted by Caliburn View Post
    Numerous people have issues trying to get FFXI to run on Win10, which again, MS is shoving down the entire world's population.
    So FFXI at least needs to be able to officially be supported on win10.

FFXI's platform page has not been updated in ages.

Resistance is futile.
    Hm, I have no issues with XI on Windows 10 - The people with Windows 10 issues likely had issues running games in the first place no matter what Windows platform they were on and upgrading largely only affected people who stayed way ahead of the curve (which even on Windows 7 people have issues with games because some games still need to be upgraded to support newer GPU/Driver combinations.)

XI does need a core overhaul, but like any game, it can produce higher resolution textures but is scaled down to fit properly on the PS2 - Heck even in current generation graphics are actually designed higher than they are rendered.
    (0)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    Hm, I have no issues with XI on Windows 10 - The people with Windows 10 issues likely had issues running games in the first place no matter what Windows platform they were on and upgrading largely only affected people who stayed way ahead of the curve (which even on Windows 7 people have issues with games because some games still need to be upgraded to support newer GPU/Driver combinations.)
    My older PC ran FFXI perfectly fine. It wasn't until I go this new computer that I had an issue. The old PC Win 7, New PC Win 10. This new one should be leagues ahead of my old one, but can't run a 13yr old game :/
    (0)

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast