Player

What is the best Rod/Bait/Place for fishing Moat Carp?

I'm really new and have been trying to figure out how to make some cash but am really struggling. This is the best thing I've found thus far but am having problems figuring out what setup to run with. Everything I read says something different.

Also, does anyone have any good suggestions for making some cash early on?
    (0)

Character
    Tsybil
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Fishing has been nerfed for those less than a month old or under L 20. I have been playing for years but if I fish on a job under L 20 my daily catch is SEVERELY limited.

Hume Rod or Carbon Rod, Little Worms if you are low enough that Crayfish still give you skillups, then Insect Paste forever.

Any fresh water in or out of town, a favorite place for many being the Knightswell in E. Ronfarue.

In Bastok make Copper Ingots with Ore from the Smithing or Goldsmith's Guilds. In Windurst hunt crawlers. In either hunt bees / hornets (not the L 1 ones) make Beeswax or Honey from the Beehive Chips. In San d'Oria try logging + woodworking.
    (0)

West Ronfaure, the pond on the south of the map. Hume Rod. Balls of insect paste, with that set up you wont fish anything else but Moats and sometimes an item or monster, but if you see the !!! just cancel the fish and try again.

Or if you want, Port Sandoria, Same rod and bait. You'll get no items or monsters, but you will also get Tricolor carp and Gold carp in addition to the moat carp. If you NPC the Tricolor and Golds you'll usually make money back for the bait you used, or even gain money.
    (0)

Character
    Windblade
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    All those fishing nerfs were set up to discourage gil sellers. I wonder what made the developers think it wouldn't negatively affect legitimate players, too? I never got to enjoy fishing before they turned it into an annoying "mini-game". I don't personally like having to wag my rod all over the screen to haul in a fish because the rod won't sit still and it just makes my heart pound and I get frustrated and annoyed with it, making me want to scream. But the gil sellers are the ones who quickly moved to using SCRIPTS to auto-fish, leaving the legitimate players the only ones actually hurt by the mini-game implementation!

And what's with the insulting message: "You lost your catch due to a lack of skill." It wasn't my lack of skill. After I had already committed to hitting ENTER to haul the fish in, just before the key connected with the printed circuit in my keyboard, the rod swung the other way and I lost my catch. My skill is fine, thank you. I just don't like the experience of it.
    (0)

i caught my carp in windy walls and waters using insect paste and a halycon rod. selling carp in sandoria and jueno auction house. i found fishing was always a great way in making steady gil by selling "popular" fish in the auction house and selling the others to NPC merchants.
    (0)

Character
    Aisaka
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    If you're new, highly recommend making sure you're over level 20, and make sure your character is at least a month old.
    If you're under level 20 or under one month since creation, you'll be limited on how many fish you can catch per day. [I think it's 20 per day, compared to the usual 200?]

Check out the Moat Carp page on FFXIclopedia if you want information.
    Personally, I recommend Knightswell if you're in San d'Oria. It's the pond at the bottom-left of West Ronfaure.
    If you use a Yew rod with Insect Balls, you'll generally have the best results.
    I haven't tested many other rods, but Yew was the best I've come across for depleting Moat Carp HP.
    It MIGHT break, but they're relatively cheap from an NPC in North San d'Oria that sells them for ~200 gil each.
    Halcyon would be a rod that won't break on Moat Carps and is generally a good rod for many things, but is usually pretty expensive, and if you fish something that does break it, it's another expense.

You can also fish around Windurst Waters/Woods, or in Bastok Markets for Moat Carp. They're in a lot of different places, again check Wiki or other sites for information.
    (0)
    /人 ‿‿ 人\

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Aronos View Post
    The best combination is gil. You can farm gil faster then fish.
    (0)

Character
    Yekyaa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukino_Kaji View Post
    The best combination is gil. You can farm gil faster then fish.
    I think you missed the part where OP asked where he can fish these up so he can make gil.
    (0)

Character
    Blowfin
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Yekyaa View Post
    I think you missed the part where OP asked where he can fish these up so he can make gil.
    Well, his posts are usually less constructive than that even, consider yourself lucky.
    (0)

Character
    Yekyaa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by blowfin View Post
    Well, his posts are usually less constructive than that even, consider yourself lucky.
    Considering a 1704 post count after about a month or so of the forums being open, it doesn't surprise me.
    Some quick math, 1704 (Posts from Tsukino_Kaji as of this post)/35 (Days the forums have been open since this post) = 48.69.
    An average of over 48 posts per day. That's a bit much. I wonder how many of those are just one word responses? Also, that's a minimum of 2 per hour assuming he hasn't slept at all in the last 35 days.

NOTE: There's no stars or special titles here like on bluegartr and allakhazam in case Kaji hadn't noticed.
    (0)
    Last edited by Yekyaa; 04-13-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Additional math.