Hybrid View

Character
    Nzinga
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

Fighting Maat

So I have been playing this game for a couple months now and have finally leveled my RDM to 70. Which means the Maat fight. I heard stories about how it is the hardest fight and after stalking the wiki I think I am going to go for the sleep/nuke tactic. Which basically involves me going in and putting up all my buffs. Then sleep Maat, then dispel, then Aero III, and then sleep and repeat.

I was wondering if there are other RDM who fought him and if you had any advice. Thank you!
    (0)

I fought him back in the olden days when he was at his hardest, took me 2 tries but this is what I did.

Cap your Evasion/Enfeebling/Elemental Skill
    Get x2 Bat Earrings
    Equip NQ/HQ Wind Staff
    Bring at least 2x Blind Potions and whatever meds you might need, I highly recommend you stay away from Ethers lower than Pro-Ether because they have a long cast time and give little mp in return.

A general rundown of the fight:

When you enter immedately run up to where you can see Maat, DO NOT buff yourself until you can see what Maat's buffing himself with. This is important because Maat might cast blink off the bat, if you try sleeping him and he has it up you leave yourself open to Asuran Fists without warning and that can ruin the entire fight.

After you've run up too Maat and buffed, and used a blind potion on yourself, if he's casted blink use quick spells like tier I nukes to wipe his shadows asap then sleep him. Get some distance, dispel his buffs, and enfeeble him, if he's about to wake up wait to resleep him before you start nuking.

From there you can keep Nuke>Sleeping, reapplying debuffs, using meds, and blind potions as they wear. At roughly 60-50% of his health you can Chainspell to finish him off which he'll give up roughly 15-30% hp (it seems random).
    (0)

Player
    Don't gear retardedly.
    Eat Creampuffs.
    Sleep/nuke.
    Win.
    Celebrate with fireworks.

It's a pretty straight forward fight.

P.S.
    Swords is giving you bad advice. RDM has the evasion of a wet brick and the goal is to never let Maat get close enough for evasion to matter.
    (1)
    Last edited by cidbahamut; 03-30-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cidbahamut View Post
    Don't gear retardedly.
    Eat Creampuffs.
    Sleep/nuke.
    Win.
    Celebrate with fireworks.

It's a pretty straight forward fight.

P.S.
    Swords is giving you bad advice. RDM has the evasion of a wet brick and the goal is to never let Maat get close enough for evasion to matter.
    This.

Sleep, buff, use MP meds, Chainspell, nukex4-6?, Sleep/Bind, Convert, Meds, nuke, win. That's how I did it. If you had my luck though, you get resisted(even with INT gear/food) and he Asuran Fists you back to back. I beat him with MP gear/food. No resists. Go figure.
    (0)

Character
    Taminye
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 70
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqK5r...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upxh-Mt69zM

both of them had part time tank jobs ohat or the like or good melle gear ups Maat Can be melle'd however you got more gabling skills than a Corsair. ...

however with the cost of Phalanx shooting up due to every paladin needding it as well as it being RDM's means that 30-50k now has jumped 500k-2.5 million , and you will need Phalanx to engage maat.

but the Tav. tacos are a great idea I've developed 70 rdm blm whm , so it's eassier to cap certian skills... and I can farm 3 tests and go for a win... as for WHM or the like first time you engage maat

however despite tav. tacos being tank/mage food thier not cheep , good mage and tank stats.... hp/mp recovery etc.

fist time on RDM maat was teflon despite having resonable enfebeling skills and stiping him of his buffs , 2nd sleep wore about as fast as the first. then i started to melle him as he fisted me , i was in a fight to try to live but if i was going ko least i wasnt sitting thier with a staff looking pretty, while he beat on me , since sword skills are neerly capped 223/227 i figged if i can keep him from casting as i'm casting i might be able too since sleep wasn't sticking and both sleep 1 n 2 were ticking down to recast ... this trip failed.

WHM i tried the kite methoid , began to panic and fumble a bit on timing ,

Abbyseea NM's .... Fight them in party feel the zen calm ... Maat has his weeknesses ... most of all dont panic if it's going badly then hash up a new fix , thier are videos on youtube galore and many guides , pick which fits you skills gil's and planing style. planing maat is a must just dont get too jittery like my first 2 , first rdm fight was a bust my skills wernt capped , but despite failing you get too feel him out and all.

I wasnt plaining on a Maat Meele except at the end sleep him tp wing WSkill for pure spite. if i could esle it was the classical sleep debuff sleep nuke.
    (0)

Character
    Carth
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrose99 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqK5r...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upxh-Mt69zM

both of them had part time tank jobs ohat or the like or good melle gear ups Maat Can be melle'd however you got more gabling skills than a Corsair. ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x8q0axBchw
    (0)

Character
    Nuri
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrose99 View Post

however with the cost of Phalanx shooting up due to every paladin needding it as well as it being RDM's means that 30-50k now has jumped 500k-2.5 million , and you will need Phalanx to engage maat.
    Just want to comment that any RDM in the level 66 to 70 range without Phalanx needs to turn in their membership card. Not only is it a signature RDM spell that defines the job, it is a level 33 spell dropped in many BCNMs in the 30-40 level range. There is just simply no excuse to not have it in my book.
    (1)

I really don't know how tough Maat is on RDM anymore. I just posted what I explicidly did back then, considering I did this back in 04/05 and he's been nerfed twice, we got new gear, food, and whatnot since. I don't really know how long you've been playing, but back then it was a dark age for RDM if you went up against Maat for your 75 cap quest. It was not unheard of to listen to horror stories about RDM's going 30+ fights without a win, only to give up in frustration and level another job to beat Maat with. Since I was in the OP's shoes at that point, I thought it would be best to prepare for whatever possabilities that may arise.

Anyways while yes I do agree with you RDM's core evasion sucks against most things, Maat's melee skills are equivilant to that of a RDM's, skill B accuracy 228 and D evasion 201 at 70. Even discounting the use of the Bat earrings, capped evasion does make a significant impact avoiding his melee/Asuran fists in those times sleep gets resisted, he wakes early, or whatever reason he might get close enough to you to wail on you.
    (0)

Player
    No, that's what Blink and Stoneskin are for. Besides, you won't be landing Sleep or Bind while you prance around in evasion gear.

Gear intelligently, land Sleeps and he's a breeze.
    Gear foolishly (ie, for evasion), get resisted, eat a few Asuran Fists and go back to farming up another testimony.
    (0)

Bring Sprinter's Shoes.

Use them immediately as you enter and run to Maat as fast as you can. Seeing what that first spell is and potentially being able to stop it is very valuable.
    (0)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast