Thread: Fighting Maat

Character
    Nzinga
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

Fighting Maat

So I have been playing this game for a couple months now and have finally leveled my RDM to 70. Which means the Maat fight. I heard stories about how it is the hardest fight and after stalking the wiki I think I am going to go for the sleep/nuke tactic. Which basically involves me going in and putting up all my buffs. Then sleep Maat, then dispel, then Aero III, and then sleep and repeat.

I was wondering if there are other RDM who fought him and if you had any advice. Thank you!
    (0)

I fought him back in the olden days when he was at his hardest, took me 2 tries but this is what I did.

Cap your Evasion/Enfeebling/Elemental Skill
    Get x2 Bat Earrings
    Equip NQ/HQ Wind Staff
    Bring at least 2x Blind Potions and whatever meds you might need, I highly recommend you stay away from Ethers lower than Pro-Ether because they have a long cast time and give little mp in return.

A general rundown of the fight:

When you enter immedately run up to where you can see Maat, DO NOT buff yourself until you can see what Maat's buffing himself with. This is important because Maat might cast blink off the bat, if you try sleeping him and he has it up you leave yourself open to Asuran Fists without warning and that can ruin the entire fight.

After you've run up too Maat and buffed, and used a blind potion on yourself, if he's casted blink use quick spells like tier I nukes to wipe his shadows asap then sleep him. Get some distance, dispel his buffs, and enfeeble him, if he's about to wake up wait to resleep him before you start nuking.

From there you can keep Nuke>Sleeping, reapplying debuffs, using meds, and blind potions as they wear. At roughly 60-50% of his health you can Chainspell to finish him off which he'll give up roughly 15-30% hp (it seems random).
    (0)

Player
    Don't gear retardedly.
    Eat Creampuffs.
    Sleep/nuke.
    Win.
    Celebrate with fireworks.

It's a pretty straight forward fight.

P.S.
    Swords is giving you bad advice. RDM has the evasion of a wet brick and the goal is to never let Maat get close enough for evasion to matter.
    (1)
    Last edited by cidbahamut; 03-30-2011 at 02:58 AM.

I really don't know how tough Maat is on RDM anymore. I just posted what I explicidly did back then, considering I did this back in 04/05 and he's been nerfed twice, we got new gear, food, and whatnot since. I don't really know how long you've been playing, but back then it was a dark age for RDM if you went up against Maat for your 75 cap quest. It was not unheard of to listen to horror stories about RDM's going 30+ fights without a win, only to give up in frustration and level another job to beat Maat with. Since I was in the OP's shoes at that point, I thought it would be best to prepare for whatever possabilities that may arise.

Anyways while yes I do agree with you RDM's core evasion sucks against most things, Maat's melee skills are equivilant to that of a RDM's, skill B accuracy 228 and D evasion 201 at 70. Even discounting the use of the Bat earrings, capped evasion does make a significant impact avoiding his melee/Asuran fists in those times sleep gets resisted, he wakes early, or whatever reason he might get close enough to you to wail on you.
    (0)

Player
    No, that's what Blink and Stoneskin are for. Besides, you won't be landing Sleep or Bind while you prance around in evasion gear.

Gear intelligently, land Sleeps and he's a breeze.
    Gear foolishly (ie, for evasion), get resisted, eat a few Asuran Fists and go back to farming up another testimony.
    (0)

Bring Sprinter's Shoes.

Use them immediately as you enter and run to Maat as fast as you can. Seeing what that first spell is and potentially being able to stop it is very valuable.
    (0)

Character
    Nzinga
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    ok thanks!
    Yeah for gear I think I was going to focus on INT and after thinking about it I should probably sleep him right away upon entering, and then take care of buffs/dispel...
    Ans I was thinking about getting a wind staff so that way Aero III would have more damage... I hope I am reading that right :/
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by cidbahamut View Post
    Don't gear retardedly.
    Eat Creampuffs.
    Sleep/nuke.
    Win.
    Celebrate with fireworks.

It's a pretty straight forward fight.

P.S.
    Swords is giving you bad advice. RDM has the evasion of a wet brick and the goal is to never let Maat get close enough for evasion to matter.
    This.

Sleep, buff, use MP meds, Chainspell, nukex4-6?, Sleep/Bind, Convert, Meds, nuke, win. That's how I did it. If you had my luck though, you get resisted(even with INT gear/food) and he Asuran Fists you back to back. I beat him with MP gear/food. No resists. Go figure.
    (0)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    I nuked him until he himself chainspelled, then slept him until his chainspell was gone, I then chainspelled to finish him off. May be a good idea to take a Vile-Elixer +1 with you, since they're rather cheap now.

If Maat gets to close too you it can be the difference between win and loose, since he loves to spam Asurian Fists.

PS. Good luck in your fight, however you decide to fight him.
    (0)
    Last edited by Daniel_Hatcher; 03-30-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Blink and Stoneskin can easily be taken out by an Asuran Fists because its an 8-hit WS, and Maats been known to spam it in succession. Unlike most multi-hit WS Asuran Fists first hit does not account for a major portion of the damage, so even taking half the hits you still stand to take some decent damage. Stoneskin might live through one round if you've managed to cap it out macro swapping gear, but back then was a very daunting task at 70 (and still is by my recollection).

Anyways, you seem to think I went full out evasion and that I'm suggesting in doing so, I merely posted what I did when I had done the fight. I assumed I could get away without posting my actual gearset being I only mentioned the earrings for Evasion and not any other pieces or refrence to evasion equipment. Since at the time RDM's were limited to Morion, Phantom, and the Moldy Earring and all were retardedly expensive and hard to come by from overcamping, sacraficing the ear gearslots for +30 Evasion when I did not have many options is a reasonable suggestion.

Anyways my setup was as follows since my suggestion seems to be taken a bit too literally. Keep in mind, this was when CoP and BCNM had just been introduced so of course the gear options are limited and out of date.

Mythic Wand+1/Wind Staff/Dark Staff
    Phantom Tathlum
    Warlock's Chapeau
    Warlocks Tabard/ Blue Cotehardie
    Enfeebling Torque
    Bat Earrings x2
    Marine M Gloves
    Saintly Ring +1 x2 / Eremites Ring +1 x2
    Red Cape +1
    Royal Knights Belt
    Custom M Boots
    Custom M Slacks / Warlocks Tights
    (0)
    Last edited by Swords; 03-30-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast