Character
    Taminye
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 70
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqK5r...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upxh-Mt69zM

both of them had part time tank jobs ohat or the like or good melle gear ups Maat Can be melle'd however you got more gabling skills than a Corsair. ...

however with the cost of Phalanx shooting up due to every paladin needding it as well as it being RDM's means that 30-50k now has jumped 500k-2.5 million , and you will need Phalanx to engage maat.

but the Tav. tacos are a great idea I've developed 70 rdm blm whm , so it's eassier to cap certian skills... and I can farm 3 tests and go for a win... as for WHM or the like first time you engage maat

however despite tav. tacos being tank/mage food thier not cheep , good mage and tank stats.... hp/mp recovery etc.

fist time on RDM maat was teflon despite having resonable enfebeling skills and stiping him of his buffs , 2nd sleep wore about as fast as the first. then i started to melle him as he fisted me , i was in a fight to try to live but if i was going ko least i wasnt sitting thier with a staff looking pretty, while he beat on me , since sword skills are neerly capped 223/227 i figged if i can keep him from casting as i'm casting i might be able too since sleep wasn't sticking and both sleep 1 n 2 were ticking down to recast ... this trip failed.

WHM i tried the kite methoid , began to panic and fumble a bit on timing ,

Abbyseea NM's .... Fight them in party feel the zen calm ... Maat has his weeknesses ... most of all dont panic if it's going badly then hash up a new fix , thier are videos on youtube galore and many guides , pick which fits you skills gil's and planing style. planing maat is a must just dont get too jittery like my first 2 , first rdm fight was a bust my skills wernt capped , but despite failing you get too feel him out and all.

I wasnt plaining on a Maat Meele except at the end sleep him tp wing WSkill for pure spite. if i could esle it was the classical sleep debuff sleep nuke.
    (0)

Character
    Carth
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrose99 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqK5r...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upxh-Mt69zM

both of them had part time tank jobs ohat or the like or good melle gear ups Maat Can be melle'd however you got more gabling skills than a Corsair. ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x8q0axBchw
    (0)

Anyone done this @90 yet? If so, is it extremely easy now? I hear that he caps @ 75 ^^
    (0)

Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    If you can't beat him at 90, turn in your hat.
    (0)

Character
    Nuri
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I just recently beat Maat for the first time ever (even though I've been playing XI since '04) and it was on RDM. I was really nervous about this fight. Everyone says how hard it is and to expect to fail 7 or 8 times before you succeed. And given that this had been coming for several years, my anxiety about the fight was running somewhat on the high side. I feared I was going to be one of those people who is stuck at 70 forever because they can't beat Maat.

I went in at level 69, with AF gear. No special equipment really except for a darkstaff to heal up after my initial buffs and for landing sleep. My sword was a duel rapier. I also used a tav taco for this fight. I like to play RDM the way it is supposed to be played so most of what I say here will really only apply to the people that want to mix it up face to face. I didn't want to go with the whole 100% nuke from afar method, (nothing wrong with it, just not my style) however, even fighting with a sword I still nuked during the fight. You kind of have to given you only have 10 minutes, but I actually had no problem melee fighting maat with enspells while I did it.

My strat was pretty simple. I just went in for initial sleep, used composure and buffed myself, dispelled him once to get rid of his buff, and then rested up. Once I got back my MP, I landed some enfeebles, an initial nuke, and then ran in for some stabbity action. Now again, I'm one of those RDMs who likes to play the class the way it was intended by the developers, which means I don't remove composure. I spent a long time mastering timing for the longer casting times under composure so that I can time my recasts just right between enemy attacks. It can be a pain but, honestly, the extended buffs you get with composure for the long fights that require buff recasts, not to mention the accuracy bonus, are so worth learning how to do this properly.

Anyway, once I got him at about 60%, I chainspelled to start landing some nukes to finish him off. He ended up chainspelling almost right after I did. I managed to get off three AeroIII before I had no choice but to sleep him, so as not to receive return fire, and let the rest of my chainspell wear. While he slept, I converted and healed up and blasted him with a final AeroIII once I was sure his chainspell was gone and he gave up. He never even used Asuran Fists. I suspect not silencing Maat helped me here because he tried to use magic over his special melee. I was blown away at how easy the fight actually was.

One warning though. I sincerely believe that I owe are large portion of my success to skilling up all of my skills prior to attempting Maat. You need capped skills. I suspect that, with how easy it was for me to beat Maat, many of the claims that Maat is hard are coming, perhaps, primarily from RDMs who have been conditioned by the community into thinking a RDM is a WHM in red clothes. They go in with next to no sword or defensive skills, half leveled elemental and enfeeble, but capped healing and expect to walk away a winner. Not going to happen.

To take on Maat you will need, not only capped enhance/enfeeble/elemental skills but also sword/shield/evasion and take parry as high as you can stand skilling it. Properly skill your RDM before meeting Maat and I'm certain you will find that all your spells get through and you hold your own in melee against him because you aren't missing and you are mitigating his damage through evasion/parry/shield. Couple enspelled melee with nuking and it really isn't hard to take Maat down.

Good luck to everyone going into this fight. Just don't be nervous and come prepared. You will do just fine.
    (0)

Character
    Nuri
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrose99 View Post

however with the cost of Phalanx shooting up due to every paladin needding it as well as it being RDM's means that 30-50k now has jumped 500k-2.5 million , and you will need Phalanx to engage maat.
    Just want to comment that any RDM in the level 66 to 70 range without Phalanx needs to turn in their membership card. Not only is it a signature RDM spell that defines the job, it is a level 33 spell dropped in many BCNMs in the 30-40 level range. There is just simply no excuse to not have it in my book.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Seriha View Post
    If you can't beat him at 90, turn in your hat.
    /em turns in hat

It seems that you need a lot more than 278 enfeebling magic skill with gear to land sleep on him, even at 90. My gear is pretty bad and I only levelled it for maat's cap, and because rdm af3 hands were the first item I got 8 seals for.

I'm a career BLM, so I went in all dressed up for nuking, ran straight to him to see him casting stoneskin so I immediately opened with sleep 2 which was resisted; sleep was interrupted; break was resisted. I obviously have both those HQ staves, but not the enfeebling skill. Going to get it over 300 before trying again >.>

I hadn't buffed up with any spells or items and got hit for 100-130 a hit and being taru, 5-6 hits took me down(including crits). At least this is just about the easiest test to get
    (0)

Character
    Raxiaz
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 96
    I went one out of one on this fight as my Elvaan alternate. I have a 90RDM Taru main so that could be why (but I never did the Maat fight except when I was at 80 once for fun).

I had this gear for him:
    All HQ Staves
    Bugard leather strap +1
    Phantom tathlum
    Warlock's chapeau
    Elemental torque
    Morion earring x2
    Warlock's tabard
    Warlock's gloves
    Astral ring x2
    Red cape +1
    Penitent's rope
    Ogre trousers
    Mountain gaiters

When I think about it, that gear set is quite disappointing. Especially when I never switched any of it out except for the elemental staffs accordingly. But I was lazy. One thing I really had going for me was that I had capped out my enhancing, elemental, and enfeebling magic skills prior to battling Maat. Add in extra skill from my hat and torque, and the extra damage from auster's, it wasn't so bad of a fight. Just a little bit of a rush.

Gravity didn't stick at all 'til I got him down to 30-40%ish, at which point the battle was basically won. But without gravity, Maat is one fast old man. Keep that in mind and try to stay the maximum distance away from him when you're casting your nukes. Make sure ALL of his buffs are gone (Slow won't stick if Haste is up), and keep debuffs like Slow, Paralyze and Blind on him. You can use Bind if you need to. I casted it first to see if he had blink up, and I casted it once more in the middle of the fight to hold him off for a sec'. I also used a vile elixir, vile elixir +1, and a Hi-Elixir for getting MP back quick. When Refresh wore in the middle of the battle I didn't even bother putting it back up, and I never used Convert in the fight. All due to meds.

I just beat him today, so yeah. Ironic for me to see this post now. lol. Haven't read the topic, but good luck to all RDMs who have this ordeal ahead of them!
    (0)
    Last edited by Raxiaz; 05-18-2011 at 03:51 AM.

Character
    Paulus
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    Here's my advice.

You don't want to start buffing yourself before you run to him. You don't want to give him time to but shell or Blink up.

When you are in target range of him sleep 1 him or 2 if you resist. The reason you want to use sleep one first is for MP considerations. In the end those extra MP saved will make the difference.

After you slept him you want to see if he snuck any buffs in. Throw out a dispel on him. Once that's done Blink and stoneskin yourself.

Make a little distance between him and yourself and throw out your first Aero III. Try to time your Aero III with your sleep 1 timer with about 2-3 seconds left.

Once the first Aero III hits sleep I him. (He likely casted a spell on you which ripped a shadow so reapply blink.
    Make more distance between you and start casting Aero III again on him. Same timing as above.

This next Aero III and the events that will "likely" happen will win or lose the fight for you. In all my experience the third sleep usually resists. I always screw up and try tier II sleep which resists as well but if you can get ahead of the curb, use bind and away.

What will likely happen since your so exited is that you'll try to cast sleep I and he will advance on you through the resist. You might even go for tier II which will resist. If your in this situation you need to cast bind asap.

Once he's bound run back to about half way into the tunnel. Immediately reapply stoneskin and rush back to him for the fourth Aero III. This Aero III will trigger his chainspell. You need to sleep him here. Usually he is sleepable at this stage.

Assuming you have him slept you need to go for his nutts here. Get some distance from him, chainspell, convert, Cure IV, Cure II, Blink, Stoneskin, Aero III, Aero III, Aero III, Aero II.

He should give up at 10% health.

Just remember when shit hits the fan bind is your friend. Use sleep I for mp conservation on sleeps. Make sure he doesn't have stoneskin or Shell up. And after you sleep him while chainspelled you need the killer instinct.
    (0)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Vile Elixir+1 helps, and is rather cheap now as well.
    (0)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast