Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fighting Maat

Player
    All I'm hearing is "I fulltime my gear".
    (0)

Player
    I ate 2 asurans back to back when I did it at 70 and took 200 damage total, learn what PDT gear/Phalanx does. Although if going for quick run Phalanx isn't needed either, it's just extra security.
    (0)

My advice is probably going to be more outdated than Swords' since I beat Maat several months before CoP, but here's my two cents anyway since I have been playing this job longer than most of you whippersnappers.

Remember, you can enfeeble Maat. Paralyze, Slow, and Blind are three of the best spells in your arsenal for pretty much anything, but especially soloing. Decreasing his attack speak by 20% is nothing to scoff at; preventing attacks or helping him to miss isn't guaranteed, but can save your life if and when they happen. Gravity will also save your life, giving you precious time to get sleep back up in the case of a resist. (I am not sure if he is susceptible to Bind, but pretty much every other enfeeble works on him, so no reason this one shouldn't.) Do not forget that you can Silence him, it probably won't last a long time, but it can put a crimp into his Chainspell should Sleep and Sleep II fail. Also, Sleep lasts for 60 seconds, Sleep II for 90 seconds- you can buy yourself a lot of time by casting Sleep then Sleep II in case of an emergency. (Although in this fight time is of the essence.)

A trick that we used to do back in the day was to solo the Ruby Quadav in the entrance to the Qulun Dome. (Where you have to go for Genkai 3.) I am not sure if you can easily disable your subjob any more, but back then there was a glitch that allowed you to turn off your subjob by changing your main and support jobs very quickly. This will show you how much HP and MP you will have for the actual fight, as well as being a good practice for being cool under the pressure of a mob that wants to eat your face off, also a good test to make sure that your macros work correctly. Additionally, Ruby Quadavs drop testimonies, consider it a reward for training hard.

Beyond that, cap enfeebling, enhancing, elemental, and evasion skills. (My entire generation of mages on Bahamut owe a certain Paladin a debt of gratitude for helping us to cap our Evasion in his XP parties.) I am not suggesting that you equip evasion gear, but having capped evasion can be the difference between a spell being interrupted and victory. The fight has been spelled out well in this thread. Don't forget a Vile Elixir and Vile Elixir +1, they are dirt cheap now. For gear, use common sense, HQ elemental staves, Enfeebling and Elemental Torques and Earrings, MND where needed, INT where needed, Cream Puffs, so on and so forth.

Good luck.
    (0)

Character
    Tsybil
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Hit the ground running. Do NOT stop to buff. While you buff, so does Maat. Maat cast blink = 90% chance you die.

Sleep Maat, Dispel Maat, buff yourself, have a refreshing Yagudo Drink, Nuke - sleep - bind. Rinse, lather, repeat. (Full disclosure: I did Nuke - Nuke - Sleep - Bind.)

Have a Vile Elixir or VE +1 on hand. Use Yag drink rather than Refresh. Never silence Maat. Convert ONLY directly after a sleep.

RDM Maat isn't hard per se, but he is random. Some with BS gear "just seeing what the fight is like" beat him first go. Some with uber gear, and tons of practice on RDMs like Ruby or Weapons, take 20 tries.

Good hunting.
    (0)

Character
    Xikeroth
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I melee'd maat to death years ago. you DON'T have to nuke sleep him if you play properly so don't rule it out. There are plenty of youtube videos giving examples you can always follow them.

If you fight him BLM style dress as a BLM, melee style dress like a PLD and use as much def as you can. Asuran fists is a joke he hit me 5 times with it on RDM and I didn't go down the key is very simple, when he starts using asuran fists chainspell and stoneskin every time he uses it using cure4 in between. You won't die if you're enhancing skill is ar a fairly decent level for phalanx and stoneskin.

If you want to go the easy way, nuke em. I never had to nuke him and I used to fight him for fun just because the fight wasn't that easy and I have yet to lose to the old fool on any job.

Maat fight is, no joke, nerves. A lot of the people that lost to him went about the fight all wrong. I didn't even use meds on my mule and still won. Maat is just a stepping stone and isn't very difficult if you just relax.

One thing I will note, turn composure off so your recast times don't take a slap in the face.

In terms of gear I believe some people hit nuke style on the head...

Now in days your BIGGEST concern is getting all your skill levels capped. You wont beat maat with a nuke strat unless your enfeeb, and elemental are BOTH capped. you can beat maat melee style without having all skills capped. I have done it lol
    (2)

Character
    Luso
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    If you're going the sleep/nuke way, make sure you try and get as many of the NQ Elemental Staves as you can. They help out a lot and can let you land enfeebles more accurately. All I used besides the basic RDM AF Armor were 2 Phantom Earrings, a Spider Torque, Red Cape +1, and a Penitent's Rope, and oh, a Phantom Tathlum. I got as much INT as possible, since I was going to go the Chainspell method from the start:

I immediately ran to him at the start and Sleep II'd him; cast Protect, Shell, Blink, Stoneskin, cast Dispel 2-3 times on Maat, and Paralyzed, Blinded, and Bound him. Before doing this all, I made sure to use a Yagudo Drink before hand and I also used one Apple Pie my friend gave me for good luck. XD

But yeah, I then used Chainspell before he awoke and started spamming the two tier 3 spells I knew, which were Stone III and Aero III. When my Blink and Stoneskin wore I immediately cast Stoneskin back only. No need to waste on Blink since Chainspell will only last so long. I managed to win after Converting once and repeating the strategy. I even broke the record on that attempt. ^^

Make sure you have good macros for this fight, and test them out before you enter the battlefield. I've seen people make them and not bother testing them out, and then they get a command error when trying to use said macro. Wastes time and your HP.
    (0)

Character
    Kuvo
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    It has been a long time since I fought him as rdm back in 05 i think. Anyway the sleep and nuke method is key. Capping your skills are also very important and gearing for sleep, bind, gravity are a must. I fought him using Aero 3 as my main nuke which ended up being not the best idea for me. I went through 5 fights doing that and lost. My advice is don't only use aero 3. Use your other teir 3 nukes as well and for god sake don't use any DoT.

I also used pro ethers and i think a marron glace (at the time it gave the most MP boost). Just sleep, bind, gravity and use all nuke 3 spells then sleep, bind, gravity again as needed. Also remember that you don't have to wipe all HP from maat. Keep him slept during his chainspell and rest. Once he wakes up, sleep again and get ready for your chainspell and nuke 3 his butt until he gives up.
    (0)

Character
    Vinedrius
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersun View Post
    Bring Sprinter's Shoes.

Use them immediately as you enter and run to Maat as fast as you can. Seeing what that first spell is and potentially being able to stop it is very valuable.
    it would be faster just to start running immediately. 12% movement speed wont make a difference in such a short distance, plus the time you spent using the shoes so no.

don't bother with buffing yourself as you enter, just run in and see if he casts blink. if he does, buff yourself then cast fast spells like stone till you take both of his shadows, sleep him then buff yourself and dispel maat. if he doesn't, just sleep him, buffs and dispel. also brink yagudo drinks so you dont have to deal with the mp cost of refresh. other than that, nq/hq earth staff and your basic INT based enfeebling set and nuking set. slow/para isn't really necessary so just save your mp for sleep and nukes (bind and grav in emergency). most important staves here would be ice, earth, wind, light and dark. so get hq ice, wind and dark staves when you can if not already.
    (0)
    Last edited by Devrom; 05-06-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devrom View Post
    it would be faster just to start running immediately. 12% movement speed wont make a difference in such a short distance, plus the time you spent using the shoes so no.

don't bother with buffing yourself as you enter, just run in and see if he casts blink. if he does, buff yourself then cast fast spells like stone till you take both of his shadows, sleep him then buff yourself and dispel maat. if he doesn't, just sleep him, buffs and dispel. also brink yagudo drinks so you dont have to deal with the mp cost of refresh. other than that, nq/hq earth staff and your basic INT based enfeebling set and nuking set. slow/para isn't really necessary so just save your mp for sleep and nukes (bind and grav in emergency). most important staves here would be ice, earth, wind, light and dark. so get hq ice, wind and dark staves when you can if not already.
    It's actually not as close as you think it is. I know when I did it I was surprised with how long it took to use the shoes and was thinking the same thing, but then I was even more surprised with how far away that BCNM was from the entrance XD

I got up to Maat and landed sleep 1 slightly slower then it too him to cast shell on himself. I'm pretty sure if he was casting blink I would of interrupted him.
    (0)

Character
    Alukat
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    nuke could look like this:

Genius Ring*2
    Warlock's Chapeau
    Patrician's Cuffs (elemental magic,eva,healing skill+ [pretty nice piece])
    Moldavite Earring
    Insomnia Earring
    Elemental Torque
    Black Cape +1
    Blue Cotehardie
    Ogre Trousers +1
    R.K. Belt +2
    Numerist Pumps
    and of course hq wind staff.

this offers elemental magic skill +27, int+23, (+30int with food) matb+5
    i used this setup when i have done him, never resisted aero III + it took 7-10 nukes to get him down (can't really remember, it was 4 years ago) ^^
    (0)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast