Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

Very high Charm Failure rate at 119.

I tried charming decent challenge mobs with 2 ilvl 119 axes and CHR+77 on my Beastmaster today. I also have all of the BST reforged armored to at least 109.

I was failing very frequently to charm decent challenge boars in Kamihr Drifts (about 50-75% of the time).

Charm did not fail this much in previous years with the CHR+40 at BST75.

What has changed?

(I'm aware of jug pets, but I find our current selection to be completely awful).
    (0)

Character
    Damane
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoMBie343 View Post
    I tried charming decent challenge mobs with 2 ilvl 119 axes and CHR+77 on my Beastmaster today. I also have all of the BST reforged armored to at least 109.

I was failing very frequently to charm decent challenge boars in Kamihr Drifts (about 50-75% of the time).

Charm did not fail this much in previous years with the CHR+40 at BST75.

What has changed?

(I'm aware of jug pets, but I find our current selection to be completely awful).
    did you have any form of magic accuracy gear on you?

if you were only useing the axes as a source of m.acc, the skill on those weapons wont do it alone, my guess is your axe has +188 magic accuracy skill, which barely will even put you on square with decent challenge mobs, considering mages get more in that field to even out the odds. you need to inorporate some m.acc gear into your charm gear. CHR alone wont do it.

and +77 CHR doesnt sound like alot, your gear is lvl 109, your weapon ilvl 119, you need also the gear to back up charming lvl 118 mobs, with fully ilvl 119 gear and some m.acc pieces in accesoire slots etc you shouldnt have any problems charming them.

you cant expect just because you have now a ilvl 119 weapon that everything works, if you dont have the ilvl 119 gear to complement the weapon....

you are missing out on additional +50 CHR because your gear is only ilvl 109, which is quiet alot
    (1)
    Last edited by Damane; 06-02-2014 at 05:26 AM.

you're not lv119 just cause you have two items at lv119.
    (1)

Character
    Zeich
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Lemme sum up what the other two are saying a little more clearly. With Charm, it looks at your average ilvl, which you can see by doing a /checkparam on yourself when wearing your charm gear. This not only averages your weapons, but all of your visible slots, in order to determine your weapon. Let's say you're using mostly 109 gear with two 119 axes. ((2 x 119) + (5 x 109)) / 7 = ~ilvl 111. That's assuming you have no lower-level slots as well. Now suddenly we're looking at a comparison of a 111 job versus level 116 mobs (again, this is theory; I don't know the exact level range of Raaz in Kamihr). Seeing as that's a five-level difference, I believe that puts it in the "Very Tough" range, which not only makes it hard to charm, but Charms would only last ~1 minute before charm gear.

Rather than aiming straight for +CHR pieces, go for as high of an average ilvl as you can, and substitute Charm+/CHR+ where it doesn't hurt your ilvl or at least doesn't do so much. 119 RF1/2 gear gives you Charm+ bonuses, so if you can 119 it, that'll not only give you ilvl gear, but also give you Charm+ and, thanks to stat vomit everywhere, plenty of CHR+ too.
    (1)
    [Kensagaku - formerly of Kujata] - http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Valefor/Kensagaku

Player
    Thanks for the feedback.

I'm posting based soley on the fact that my target was "Decent Challenge".

If that doesn't apply, I will /checkparam item level and compare tommorow.

(I'm using 119 Guttler and Delve 2.0 BST Axe)

(I personally think CHR+77 should successfully charm a decent challenge, ~80-90% of the time).
    (0)

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    I'm not familiar with Bst or Charm gear at all, but if Chr is the main stat you're aiming for, I'm lost how you're only managing +77, barring something like full ilvl 109 gear. Even that seems to be a hard sell. Closest comparison I can make is my nuking set for Geo and Sch, it sits at +158 Int and that's not going full retard for Int. That's just all the ilvl stat vomit, +20 from staff, +8 from cape, and +9 from rings. It's even at +113 Chr. XD

I'd focus less on what the mob /checked to you as, and more on the actual stats of your charming set, assuming it's even viable anymore. You could very well be in 5/5 RoE with the 119 axes, but RoE gear has terrible stats, just a high ilvl.
    (1)

I came up with this list of super easy to get CHR gear awhile back - gets you over 120 CHR ( E = espial and O = outrider)

E cap= 20
    Aristo belt= 8
    E socks= 26
    O Hose= 12
    O mittens: 19
    E gambison= 22
    Angel rings X2 = 8
    Ferine necklace= 6
    light satchet = 2

total = 123 Chr

The new Bayld gear might have even more didn't check. Might want to try using this, the extra 40+ CHR probably would help. Also someone noted that using unleash maxes your charm success. Not sure if it is true but might want to try.

EDIT: just checked - none of the new balyd gear has more chr on it than pieces listed. The 119 BST gear has bits with higher CHR and there are probably better CHR pieces for almost every slot I just focused on the easiest to get stuff (with exception of light satchet - Reseph looks to be still relatively annoying)
    (0)
    Last edited by Olor; 06-03-2014 at 03:14 AM.
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Olor View Post
    I came up with this list of super easy to get CHR gear awhile back - gets you over 120 CHR ( E = espial and O = outrider)

E cap= 20
    Aristo belt= 8
    E socks= 26
    O Hose= 12
    O mittens: 19
    E gambison= 22
    Angel rings X2 = 8
    Ferine necklace= 6
    light satchet = 2

total = 123 Chr

The new Bayld gear might have even more didn't check. Might want to try using this, the extra 40+ CHR probably would help. Also someone noted that using unleash maxes your charm success. Not sure if it is true but might want to try.

EDIT: just checked - none of the new balyd gear has more chr on it than pieces listed. The 119 BST gear has bits with higher CHR and there are probably better CHR pieces for almost every slot I just focused on the easiest to get stuff (with exception of light satchet - Reseph looks to be still relatively annoying)
    I really, really appreciate what everyone is doing here. Thank you.

However, my reason for posting is not because of the current CHR gear. I wanted SE to explain some of the mechanics in how Charm was changed with 119 content. @75, when charm was still prevalent, I could charm anything with CHR+77, very regularly. This includes tough-IT mobs.

Having said that, the game has changed considerably since then, and I wanted SE to comment on this. I'm afraid that SE is going to say that I'm basically wasting my time by trying to play BST with Charm.
    (1)

Character
    Engelmond
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 17
    If I had to guess, enemies in Adoulin have much higher attributes to sort of make up for the removal of level correction (i.e. You need more CHR). I don't personally ever use Charm, though. No Snarl means you're a sitting duck. Pass on that.

In the meantime, I would like to request SE change the "Charm Success Rate" job point to "Charm !! Success Rate."

...A few extra Ordelle Bronzepieces would be worth a Job Point or two.
    (0)

The other trouble with charm is that you can't call Trust magic while you have a charmed pet. That means if you lose an NPC during a battle when you have a charmed familiar you're hooped, and no dismissing mages and resummoning them to get full MP...
    (0)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast