Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Yottaxa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99

[dev1210] Why Not Merit Weaponskills ??

Of all the areas to expand, this the one that makes the *most* sense. Please remove the arbitrary and useless limit of only being able to have 15 points in the weapon-skill category. Why allow me to level all jobs to 99, but restrict my ability to use 5/5 merit weapon skills to only 3? (3x5 =15). It is my opinion that if you are going to use any of the merit weapon skills for end game content you simply must have it 5/5 or your dps will suffer too much. Recent additions to the game such as unlocking the WOE weapon skills do not have this type of limitation. Neither is there a restriction as to the number of mythic weapon skills you can unlock. Quite honestly I do not see why there is even such a nonsense hard limit in place - the class you are playing alone restricts what weapon skills you have available.

Thank you in advance for at least considering what I consider to be such a critical adjustment.
    (8)

I wouldn't mind there being some limit - but 3 is just too few

I'd love to merit the club WS but it is simply not worth it, as I absolutely need dagger, sword and the axe WS for my main jobs.... and like you said, reducing even by one point cuts DPS too much. Maybe WS changes will make those less necessary but somehow I doubt it. I mean I guess I could cut a couple points from axe since no one invites me to DD on BST anyway, but don't really want to take the hit to my soloing either.
    (0)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

3. 05-31-2014 08:54 AM

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    (most) Weaponskills can be used by more than one job. 3 weapon skills != 3 jobs.

It's all about specialization, It's no different than talent trees and skill paths in any other RPG or MMO, the only difference being you create alts rather than use a single avatar.

Ofc I know my opinion is unpopular so I won't waste my breath going into more detail, but I feel the limit does need an increase but not a removal.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 05-31-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Character
    Carcer
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    It wouldn't be so bad if the points got refunded. I wouldn't mind a "spec build" of 3 necessary ones for job changes, and this is less of a problem in linkshells in general, but for the average PUG once you've got 3 or 4 jobs with wildly different styles it becomes a serious problem. I understand this is essentially the same as saying "remove the restriction entirely" but even a partial point return would alleviate the general discontent with the system. Maybe they could do a "pay gil to re-specialize" system, or a "once per conquest tally" system?
    (1)

Character
    Yottaxa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    (most) Weaponskills can be used by more than one job. 3 weapon skills != 3 jobs.

It's all about specialization, It's no different than talent trees and skill paths in any other RPG or MMO, the only difference being you create alts rather than use a single avatar.

Ofc I know my opinion is unpopular so I won't waste my breath going into more detail, but I feel the limit does need an increase but not a removal.
    My response is more directed to SE but you do have a good point:

This is a competently valid argument and I understand the reasoning - but the big issue I take with it is why do we not see this restriction also carried through to the Walk of Echo Weapon skills or the Mythic Weapon skills where no such limitation exists? The limitation there is your ability to farm (or buy) or do the related ws trial (for mythic ws). How is that any different than earning merit points. Are the merit weapon skill so much more over powered compared to WoE or Mythic that they require restriction?
    (1)

Character
    Xantavia
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Yottaxa View Post

This is a competently valid argument and I understand the reasoning - but the big issue I take with it is why do we not see this restriction also carried through to the Walk of Echo Weapon skills or the Mythic Weapon skills where no such limitation exists? The limitation there is your ability to farm (or buy) or do the related ws trial (for mythic ws). How is that any different than earning merit points. Are the merit weapon skill so much more over powered compared to WoE or Mythic that they require restriction?
    I suppose the question that needs to be asked is what are the WoE and Mythic WS equal to in regards to merit WS. Are they the same as going 1/5 in merits (in which case the current set-up is fine) or are they equal to 5/5 and in that case, yes there is an obvious unbalance in the system.
    (0)

Character
    Predatory
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    I think they should just up the limit to 5 weapon skills at 5/5 merits each, just having access to two more weapon skills would do a world of good
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Yottaxa View Post

You make a fair point, but the argument could me made that merit points are much more trivial to obtain and thus they chose a more arbitrary limitation.

Merit points were never that difficult to get, on the other hand.

I agree with your note however, that if specing is how they want to go, they should make respecing more reasonable to do. Changing your merits effectively undoes whatever effort you spent.

They placed no restrictions on your ability to get everything in the Job Point categories but limited it by making it very time consuming to farm (to the point of it not being realistic to cap them all)
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 06-01-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Why not just limit the number of jobs we can level if limits and specialization are the bees knees?
    (6)

Like I said, I can agree for "specialization" to a certain extent but I'd like to be able to 5/5 at least 2 more WS
    (1)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast