Character
    Archi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Advice for merit category

Anyone can share whats merit to spend for red mage nowdays? Since phalanx 2 is not a good choice anymore
    (0)

Player
    VI. Merits

VI.1. Group 1 Merits

Name: Convert Recast
    Potency: 20 Seconds
    Effect: This merit gives us a reduction to the recast time of Convert.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why to merit this: Convert is RDM's back plan when it comes to MP, no matter what is going on if for some reason you find yourself in a pinch without your MP Convert can save you. The only thing is, what happens when Convert is down? Well, that's what this is here for. Some may argue that this isn't needed any more, after all we have tons of refresh now days, but in the end these merits can save the day sometimes by shaving off that minute and 40 seconds between uses.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Magic Accuracy Bonuses
    Potency: 3 Magic Accuracy
    Effect: These merits give us a Magic Accuracy bonus to the corresponding element.
    Why to merit this: When it comes to these merits the only bad choice is water, this is due to the only water enfeeble being Poison. Depending on the content you find yourself doing most often and what exactly you are doing in that content depends on what merits you are going to want here. For instance, if you end up Chainspell Stunning something a lot, well, Thunder is your best option, on the other hand, if you are doing a lot of Tojil, Wind is what you are going to want, and maybe even Ice too. There are no wrong answers here(besides water) since each of our enfeebles have an element, simply be mindful of what you use most and have the hardest time landing and you should be fine.

VI.2. Group 2 Merits

Name: Phalanx II
    Cost: 42 MP
    Potency: (If Enhancing Skill < 300 : Potency = Floor(Enhancing Skill/25) + 1 + (3 × Merit lLevel))
    (If Enhancing Skill > 300 : Potency = 13 + (3×Merit Level) + Floor((Enhancing Skill - 300.5) ÷ 28.5)
    Duration: 120~280 Seconds
    Target: Party Members
    Effect: This spell works the same way as the original Phalanx in effects, however it can be cast on other party members instead of only self cast. Additional merits increase the potency & duration of the effect.
    Enhanced By: Duelist's Gloves +2
    Why to merit this: While this spell has the same potency as the normal spell when capped out, it lets us cast on others without the need of /SCH and a Stratagem. While that may not seem like much Stratagems are in short supply with /SCH. If you low man things often Phalanx can be a great spell to have ready to use on the party, as it gives your party a great deal of extra survival especially with PDT!

Name: Dia III
    Cost: 45 MP
    Potency: 15%
    Duration: 30~180
    Element: Light
    Target: Enemies
    Effect: This spell lowers the target's defense by a certain % while also giving them a damage over time. Additional merits increase the duration of the effect.
    Enhanced By: Duelist's Chapeau +2
    Why to merit this: Its an extra -5% Defense over Dia II, great duration when capped on merits, and stacks with everything else that lowers defense. Really, there's nothing about this spell that's bad, in fact, its probably our best merit spell we have, and the one most expected of us.

Name: Slow II
    Cost: 45 MP
    Potency: 24~40%
    Duration: 3 Minutes
    Element: Earth
    Modifier: MND
    Effect: This spell lowers the target's attack speed by a % which is greatly determined by the difference between your MND, and the target's MND. Additional merits increase the accuracy & potency of the effect.
    Enhanced By: Duelist's Chapeau +2
    Why to merit this: The slower an enemy attacks, the less TP it gets, less shadows it removes, less damage it deals, and so on. This spell beats the original Slow into the ground when it comes to potency, the only flaw with this merit is that Slow in general still isn't useful in today's FFXI. The majority of threatening enemies you come across will be met with 5+ DDs on it which feed it TP so far that its normal attacks are never the real issue. Since this spell does nothing to prevent the TP spam or make it, well... slower... its not all to important unless you simply solo a lot.

Name: Paralyze II
    Cost: 36 MP
    Potency: ?~?%
    Element: Ice
    Modifier: MND
    Effect: This spell interrupts the target's attacks & spells at a % rate which is greatly determined by the difference between your MND, and the target's MND. Additional merits increase the accuracy & potency of the effect.
    Enhanced By: Duelist's Boots +2
    Why to merit this: Paralyze II is a fantastic choice because of the fact Paralyze works for everything except actual WSs! Mobs like we have seen in recent years with their standard-TP attacks like Matamata or Mandis enemies are interrupted all the same, and so are spells that are cast. Unlike Slow which has fallen behind in the face of zerging strats Paralyze is actually still quite strong, and since Paralyze II is stronger & more accurate its not at all a bad choice.

Name: Blind II
    Cost: 31 MP
    Potency: ?
    Element: Dark
    Modifier: INT
    Effect: This spell lowers the target's accuracy in a way which is determined by the difference between your INT, and the target's INT. Additional merits increase the accuracy & potency of the effect.
    Enhanced By: Duelist's Tights +2
    Why to merit this: Really Blind is even worse than Slow when it comes to having been killed as an enfeeble. Most things have to much accuracy to bother with blind unless they are normal enemies now, and for that reason, I suggest not using merits on this. At best you are reducing your enemy's accuracy a little more, which might help with shadows or Stoneskin, but its nothing so important that you should give up Dia, Paralyze, or Slow for it.

Name: Bio III
    Cost: 54 MP
    Potency: 15%
    Duration: 30~150 Seconds
    Element: Dark
    Effect: This spell lowers the target's attack by a certain % while also giving them a damage over time. Additional merits increase the duration of the effect.
    Enhanced By: Duelist's Tights +2
    Why to merit this: Much like Blind, Bio has lost its use now days. In the past, this spell was great for kiting a NM around like Genbu to slowly drain its HP down, but now days nothing has so little HP that its viable to do such a thing, let alone its not even possible on most content now days. Just like Blind, I understand it can help for something like soloing by getting the enemy's attack down so you take less damage, but again, its just not worth losing out on the other spells.
    A piece of the RDM guide I was working on months ago and haven't finished yet. I personally have Dia III & Paralyze II, but either way hope this helps.
    (1)

Character
    Archi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Great! Thanks for advice
    (0)

i greatly prefer ice and wind for category 1, then dia and paralyze for category 2.

justin pretty much nailed category 2, slow 2 is REALLY noticeable solo, but that's just not good enough to sacrifice dia or paralyze. not much more for me to add.

as for my thinking on category 1, silence and paralyze. silence is the only native enfeeble you can merit for that is "urgent" and paralyze 2 is just good enough that i merited it for the synergy. you can also make a case for thunder instead of ice because when you have stun, it is also that same category of "urgent" spell, but i think that's a weak argument because stun is so naturally accurate.

i would agree that you should avoid water, because poison: who cares? but i would also avoid fire and earth. fire only lines up with addle, and addle has excellent accuracy anyway. earth is slow and break, and as has been covered; slow is just blatantly less good than paralyze. (i guess maybe you could make a case for break?)
    (1)

Player
    The main reason I see Fire & Earth as still being viable options is due to the fact that in Yorcia & Kamihr Delves you're casting nearly nothing but fire nukes and in Marjami you're casting Earth nukes. Also Earth nukes themselves are the most MP efficient so these 2 categories can help a lot with our nuking accuracy if you do end game content like those 2 events. If your gear is top notch the only time you need Silence to be more accurate really is the Gnole in Kamihr or the large bird in Marjami, but when you come down to it Elemental Seal with Saboteur is often enough I find to get it done. All that said, I have the same thing merited as you do so~ while I see it as viable I still agree.
    (0)

Character
    Kaiichi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Still think Bio II is more of a DRK spell, would rather of seen Bind, Gravity (yeah I know we did get it later on) or Silence 2. But yeah, Dia is probably your best bet as well as Paralyze. I personally have Dia done, and one into each of the others just so I can have a longer spell list. I know a lot of RDM wold hate that Idea, but honestly I don't see any problem with it as no one really shouts or demands a RDM for there enfeebling anymore.
    (0)
    Warning: You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be misunderstood, misworded, misquoted, and then used against you. For this is the law of the interwebs.

Character
    Kuvo
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I think it depends on your rdm playstyle. For me I use my rdm for solo and duoing with a close friend. So I put my merits as 5/5 convert 3-ice 2-earth thinking of paralyze and slow. Then I went 5/5 bio3 2-paralyzeII and 3-slowII. Again I based it on solo play. My friend did 5/5 convert 3-ice and 2-wind for paralyze and silence/gravity. Then he did 5/5 phalanx2 and 3-dia, 1-paralyze and 1 slow. He said it helps more for duoing. That's what he wanted to do. But overall I think you can set rdm up depending on what style you want to play most.
    (0)