Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Broken/Useless BLU magic

Hi,

After seeing many threads that tangentially talk about this I thought it would be good to have a thread that systematically outlined which spells are broken and or useless, and suggestions about how the development team could make them worth using.

BLU is in a much better position than a lot of the unloved jobs club, but it is really annoying that so many of our spells are completely fail at this point. Worse, the developers seem to think that just adding more spells that mostly suck is some kind of solution.

If people could add their two bits, I will edit the top post to reflect suggestions. If anything I (or others) note about a spell is wrong, let me know so I can fix! I am working off my experience and wikis which may not be up to date.

Please give me suggestions for which spell fixes should be a priority, I will put them up here in the top post.
    (2)
    Last edited by Olor; 05-03-2014 at 03:01 AM.
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Sprout Smack
    • Slow almost never procs on modern content
    • Does essentially no damage (which would be okay if slow procced)

HOW TO FIX:
    • Increase accuracy of BLU magic additional effects on ilevel content

Wild Oats
    • VIT down almost never procs on modern content
    • Does essentially no damage (would be okay if enfeeble procced)

HOW TO FIX:

Metallic Body
    • Caps much too low
    • Doesn't benefit from Stoneskin enhancing gear

HOW TO FIX:
    • Remove cap/raise cap to be same as normal stoneskin
    • allow it it benefit from stoneskin enhancing gear

Head Butt
    • Doesn't work on most ilevel content

HOW TO FIX:

Feather Storm
    • Poison doesn't proc on most ilevel content
    • Damage is subpar (would be okay if additional effect worked)
    • Rapid shot is a useless trait for BLU mage as we can't equip most ranged weapons

HOW TO FIX:
    • Replace Rapid Shot with a Magic Accuracy trait or something else that's useful

Bludgeon
    • Does almost no damage at higher levels

HOW TO FIX:
    • Better scale the power of physical BLU magic

Cursed Sphere
    • Takes too long to cast
    • Doesn't do enough damage

HOW TO FIX:
    • Decrease casting time of magical BLU spells
    • Increase power of magical BLU spells

Blood Drain
    • Takes too long to cast
    • Worst heal ever

HOW TO FIX:
    • Decrease casting time of magical BLU spells
    • Increase power of magical BLU spells

Claw Cyclone
    • Takes too long to cast
    • Damage scales very poorly

HOW TO FIX:
    • Decrease casting time of physical BLU spells
    • Increase power of physical BLU spells
    • Improve damage of physical BLU spells
    (3)
    Last edited by Olor; 05-03-2014 at 03:41 AM.
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Reserve Post for future needs

(1)

Character
    Tennotsukai
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Love this thread!

IMO, the higher priority fixes should go to barbed crescent and tourbillion, since those would benefit us quite a bit as long as they are accurate enough.

I wouldn't mind seeing all of our spells receive some sort of buff since we don't use most of them. I know it sounds a bit weird to give some of these lesser leveled physical spells a buff, but I thought how black magic elemental spells received buffs so should blue magic spells of all kinds. This would also benefit the new patch coming soon to give blu's multiple tiers in many of our job traits. Some spells that need to be equipped for certain job traits are rather useless, but this idea of buffing low leveled spells to affect ilvl content may allow those spells to maybe see the light of day again.

I can't wait to see updates for this post.
    (2)

In response to some of what Olor said:

Many of the requests are for low level spells not doing enough damage. Bear in mind how little MP cost they all have. Obviously the higher level spells that cost more are going to do more damage!

As for Head Butt not proccing on ilvl content, unless by ilvl content you mean just ilvl 119, I find it works on most mobs in colonisation reives and even WKR bosses as RUN/BLU.

1 thing I would also like to add is, is there a more up-to-date renkai chart somewhere that includes the SC properties of post-75 WS and BLU spells? It's such a pain clicking on every spell to see their properties when you're after something that will SC with a specific WS (most recently Requiescat... anyone know the best spell to combine with that now?)
    (1)

Character
    Dreamin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post

Many of the requests are for low level spells not doing enough damage. Bear in mind how little MP cost they all have. Obviously the higher level spells that cost more are going to do more damage!

As for Head Butt not proccing on ilvl content, unless by ilvl content you mean just ilvl 119, I find it works on most mobs in colonisation reives and even WKR bosses as RUN/BLU.

1 thing I would also like to add is, is there a more up-to-date renkai chart somewhere that includes the SC properties of post-75 WS and BLU spells? It's such a pain clicking on every spell to see their properties when you're after something that will SC with a specific WS (most recently Requiescat... anyone know the best spell to combine with that now?)
    I do Req -> Barbed Crescent for Dark but most of the time I just stick with CDC -> Amorphic Spikes for Light.

I rather SE just leave those lower level spells since it's pointless to set/use most of them and rather look at giving us better utility combo spells that gives us the Job Traits that most of us desired the most.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post

In terms of cost, how much does stone 1 cost? Yet BLMs etc can spam that for massive damage now. I think its not reasonable for most of our spells to be lucky to hit more than 100 damage. If BLM can use stone 1 at level 119 why shouldn't blu have a use for sprout smack? Foot kick scales when rabbits use it - why is ours stuck at negligible damage?

Anyway i was planning to go through each of them in order and suggest what needs to happen for them.
    (3)

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    You'd save yourself a lot of posting space by simply saying "uncap D values for all Blu spells." Nearly every spell below what, lvl 80-85ish is capped? idk, no Blu expect, but know that the damage values cap quite early.
    (2)

yeah I was thinking that as I went through, ha ha. That said, I'd be happy to trade damage on these spells if the effects actually procced (and let us know whether it did or not before it wears off or doesn't cause it didn't land)...
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Olor View Post
    In terms of cost, how much does stone 1 cost? Yet BLMs etc can spam that for massive damage now. I think its not reasonable for most of our spells to be lucky to hit more than 100 damage. If BLM can use stone 1 at level 119 why shouldn't blu have a use for sprout smack? Foot kick scales when rabbits use it - why is ours stuck at negligible damage?
    Probably due in part to the fact that BLU can set it's own Job Traits and so do plenty of damage to mobs just by dual-wielding with TA set and /WAR. No point fixing spells that aren't used in the decent JTs as far as I'm concerned as they'll never get set anyway.
    (1)

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast