Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Daedelus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 75

Moderating Rate of Exp Gain

I was hoping that the developers could address a problem that my linkshell and I have been having with game content. Because the rate of experience point gain is so fast, it is super difficult to progress through the game while maintaining some degree of challenge. Specifically, I am referring to content that pertains to pre-level 75 adventures.

For example, my linkshell and I (13 of us total) attempted to do the *Appointment to Jeuno* mission (San D’oria Mission 3-3). We started level-sync’d at 25 on the bottom of Delkfutt’s Tower. We fought our way to the top, floor by floor, to obtain the Delkfutt Key from Porphyrion. By the time we reached the top, we were sync’d at level 31. Instead of the mobs becoming tougher as we ascended the tower, they actually became weaker . We were looking forward to the Porphyrion fight, but he ended up being defeated with just the first two-step renkei we performed (Liquefaction > Fusion). From what we've been told, in previous years, you would fight the same number of mobs and still reach the top of the tower with Porphyrion being at least Very Tough in rating.

This was frustrating for all of us for two reasons:
    1) We cannot go back to level 25 on these jobs unless we have someone to sync to and
    2) The rate of exp gain was not something we could regulate without outside help (having a higher level job in party just to prevent us from getting experience points).

We have come up with two suggestions that could contribute to solving this. In both cases, we are asking for the option to choose how we can play the game. We do not wish to infringe on other players’ enjoyment of the game.
    1) Perhaps you could have a mode to switch to so that experience points are converted into some other currency. For example, maybe after switching to this mode (much like Merit Points options), all of the exp you receive can be converted directly into Conquest Points. That way, the experience points are not lost, but you are able to stay at a given level long enough to enjoy the challenges of missions of all types (Nation, Rotzi, and CoP).

2) Perhaps you could allow us to set our own level cap in a zone or region. This way, much like the way Chains of Promathia areas used to be level capped, we could still gain experience points and level, but, unlike level sync, we would remain at a set level until we left the zone. Again, the problem with level sync is that even if you find a player to sync to, that player still gains exp very rapidly and eventually making all mobs less challenging for the party.

Keep in mind that we do understand that there is plenty of high level content that is challenging, and that nowadays, it is fairly easy to level to 99 very quickly. However, we are eager to enjoy the content at lower levels (as well as becoming more proficient at our jobs) before progressing to the content at higher levels.

Our linkshell was put together in the hopes of focusing on teamwork development and that is how we have been approaching the game. We understand that not everyone plays FFXI for these reasons and this is why we are asking that you simply provide all players another option to how one can play the game.
    (30)
    Last edited by Tristian; 05-05-2014 at 05:34 AM.

Character
    Lithera
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 1
    Technically that mission boosted you to be able to survive rank 4 a little better and got you to a level above what the cap was for the 1st three promys. Also now if anyone wants to unlock an advanced job they are able to do that and many of those are challenging in the 30s. Porphyrion was not the issue for most groups around that level gap if you had even an ok group. It was agro from the rest of the room while fighting him.

If this does get put in then hopefully any newer players will see it as an incentive to go slower. Also I do hope you guys do stick it out with this. It does get harder though the further into the stories and the quickness of level gain does slow down. You just happen to be at a point in leveling where even in the old days it was quick to go through them if you had a good group at a nice spot.
    (18)

I actually felt the same way, if I was a new player I would hate how you can one shot all the missions NMs. Makes no sense and takes the feel out of it.
    (21)

Could add a Exp block option or Item that prevents you from gaining exp from combat.

I mean it'd be a very niche item or Option, but I mean, they added something similar in Bravely Default (turning off encounters) and such and it worked out great to be able to control how fast/slow you exp'd.
    (16)

Character
    Ranmikel
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 38
    Personally, I'd agree with a way to stop experience point gain as an option and/or creating a level cap for your team once you've achieved or surpassed that level (but didn't gain exp according to your actual level). I don't think it would break the game one way or another, but it would enhance the ability to work with newer or less experienced players without having to create another character.

Say, if I wanted to be a WHM for people new to the game, but didn't want to be able to cast with my full store MP thereby exhibiting MP management for other mages or helping the tanks learn hate control (by casting on a similar level and at a similar rate of a WHM closer to their level), I'd be able to adjust my level to suit theirs. Otherwise, it'd be like having a overleveled WHM who could just unleash a curing spell at anytime to adjust for any mistakes made.

Like Carbuncle said and Tristan somewhat suggested, Bravely Default allowed for a couple of different ways to stop EXP gain to enhance the gaming experience. You could simply turn off EXP gain or you could equip an item that converted experience points to pq (gil). You could also turn off random mob encounters, but I think that would potentially take away from the game itself here.
    (15)

Character
    Peregrin
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Dude, your LS sounds awesome.
    (19)

Character
    Nuruu
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 90
    Tristian, I think you make an excellent point. Offering some sort of optional level cap for the lvl 50 and under fights (ie. Promy missions, Minotaur fight, and Mammet fight) would be an excellent addition. Part of the excitement and challenge of the game at lower levels is mastering those fights, and I was fortunate to be able to enjoy that challenge before level caps were removed. I would really like to be able to take a new team through these battles with the challenge of a level cap in place. It makes for a stronger team and truly tests skills such as hate management, mp management, renkei formation, and team cohesiveness in creating battle strategy. Being a player that admires team-concept play, I appreciate the difficulty of keeping a group in close proximity on level and the challenges that current exp gain poses. I hope the developers read this and give strong consideration to your request. I would fully support it! /cheers
    (16)

Character
    Shadaax
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    I think the main problem with optional level caps anywhere would be congestion in lower level areas where you could one-shot things to 99. A solution could be to make it so you can't set a cap below a certain level (20?) or make it so you can only cap your level in certain dungeons.

Optional level caps in battlefields would be fine and could be potentially great if they offered meaningful bonus rewards for beating it capped... kind of like the difficulty options on modern battlefields.

And yeah, I kind of want to join your LS. :P
    (16)
    Last edited by Shadax; 04-26-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own...
    - Adam Savage

You did have an option for moderating EXP gain. Calling for help makes the mobs you want to fight but not gain EXP from drop no loot and no EXP. Instead of gaining levels, you could have called for help on every monster on the way to the NM, remaining at the level cap all the way up, while the mobs became higher level.

But yes, once you have leveled, you can't easily go back. It would make sense to have some sort of self-capping ability as an option though. Level Sync has kind of been outgrown, with so many people having maxed out jobs now.
    (7)

Player

Optional cap for ALL areas or dungeons...not just boss fights _._

If this does go down, I really hope the optional level caps could be set in any area, including mission battle zones and NM fights. And I’m all for making it a CAP instead of a SYNC. Just like Tristian said, the sync keeps migrating up as everyone gains exp pts, so the challenge lessens the longer you play. Nothing worse than having your crew psyched for a battle and the mob’s dead in 2 seconds. Such a letdown.
    Besides, if it’s optional, it’s not hurting anyone. If you need to get on and one-shot some mobs to blow off steam, you can still go for it!
    (13)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast