I've been reading through some of the black screen threads but I am having another problem which may or may not be related and I've seen a few other users encounter. It seems to happen when I log into certain zones from a completely logged out state.

For example, a few days ago I was playing all day and it was perfectly fine. Took my monk to gusgen to get a few levels and a magicked skull. Then I took a break and logged out. When I logged back in every time there was an on-screen effect from actions or spells the framerate would stutter down, sometimes reaching <1 fps if I had multiple trusts attacking with me. It becomes completely unplayable. I logged in and out multiple times, reinstalled completely, bypassed my firewall, even tried a different hdd, network adaptor, and ps2 - all with the same results.

Now the odd thing is, when I die and return to my hp, then run all the way back to any area I was having the stuttering problem it will be resolved. I can continue to play problem free until the next time I log out.

I've seen another thread or two with other NA users having the same problem.. and one linked to a JP thread related to the black screen problem and that it may be related to a memory corruption problem. Here is one thread I found. That thread is 2 years old though, and I am unable to reply to it so I am making my post here.. has there been ANY development on this problem? I went through a lot of effort to get my ffxi account back up and running and everything reinstalled only to encounter this gamestopping problem. I realize being a mmo there are bound to be glitches and problems.. but it seems like this one has been around for quite some time without being completely addressed. Anyone else encountering this problem or has any insight to add?