Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: luck attribute

luck attribute

Not sure if this discussion belongs here but here goes: is there or isn't there a luck attribute or effect in the game and why isn't it quantified? most seem to say no, but I say yes. Here's why:
    A: That Thief and Corsair are even in the game. They are nothing but basically luck driven jobs and if luck has absolutely nothing to do with their abilities then they aren't supposed to be a part of the game.
    B. Well the fact that some, even thieves, have a tough time getting some things to drop and stealing things while others easily get it to drop/ steal it.
    The only real question is why isn't it quantified? If they are going to make it a factor then it needs to be quantified in some way so we are not always in the dark. Or if it isn't then it should because why have "lucky" jobs but no luck attribute?
    (0)
    Please do not post if you are drunk, high or madly delirious from lack of sleep...HEY WHERE'S EVERYONE???

I appreciate the question. But you are simply failing to grasp the fundamental concepts of a random number generator at work. All of your "Whys" and "whats" fall into essentially crap results on the RNG. To be more exact, luck doesn't even exist in the real world. Its more or less a delusion brought on by our perception of random events and occurrences we try to reason. There is no such thing as good luck, or bad luck, its for lack of better word, superstitious bull .

But thats another discussion. Regardless I'll rebut your point 1 and 2 for you.

A: That Thief and Corsair are even in the game. They are nothing but basically luck driven jobs and if luck has absolutely nothing to do with their abilities then they aren't supposed to be a part of the game.
    COR isn't luck, you have 6 options, 1 through 6 on a JA activation. These are programmed in a way where it randomly selects 1 through 6. Nothing in the game increasing your odds of hitting 11, its just random. Even abilities like "Snake Eye" have mathematically quantifiable %'s to hit you to 11. Its right in the Merit descriptor. (though I'd bet SE programmed in rolling double 6 to be 99% chance)

THF is also not even a little luck based since as i explained, luck is little more than a delusion of our attempts to explain random chance. THF works on a % system like anyone else. Drops aren't 100%, so what it comes down too is random numbers. I'll give an example to help explain it.

Gil drops from enemies with a variable of 10-100 gil a kill. Gilfinder adds 50% more gil, so in the end, the game chooses a gil amount through as random as math can make it, and Gilfinder adds 50%. this explains why sometimes a THF gets 150, sometimes they get 15. Its not luck, its math at work.

B. Well the fact that some, even thieves, have a tough time getting some things to drop and stealing things while others easily get it to drop/ steal it.
    Also math at work lady. If an item has 20% chance to drop, thats an average, not an absolute. but i'll give you an example.

Say obtaining a drop is based on a /random system of rlls. 0-999. Getting a D.ring is rolling 0-50, but with TH, THF rolls 5-12 times depending on their TH proc. They have 12 chances to roll a 0-50, where as any other person has 1. But as with random numbers, each chance is equal in terms of how it will roll. You may have 12 chances, but landing on one of the 1000 numbers doesn't remove it, so your odds are still 50 in a 1000, or 1 in 20. a THF just gets a 1 in 20 shot 12 times instead of 1.

But to make it less complicated. I /random and land on 14, I win. THF rolls 12 times and gets 129, 983, 583, 287, 87, 908, 300, 398, so on... and not a single 0-50... His LUC stat didn't fail, its just the random number generator didn't hit the desired outcome. Its not more "Luck" than tossing a coin and getting heads twice in a row and your friend getting tails twice in a row... Its just chance.

So in the end, no quantifiable evidence of a luck stat exists, so far everything you suggest is easily and well explained through the series of mathematics formula that already exist in the game. It's easy to mistake random chance with luck if you believe luck can actually be a thing, but its not, and most if not all things are easily explained by math, especially things like games and computers which are almost entirely derived from complex or not-so-complex mathematics.

-Also, I remember a Dev response a long time ago, possibly a live letter or even before that back in the Allakhazam days where someone asked about a luck stat. Think they mentioned stuff like always drinking a can of pepsi before fighting Fafnir, and so on. SE almost word for word said "There's no way to program Luck, but that shouldn't stop you from opening your pepsi" or something to that extent. They came out and said "luck doesn't exist"... Where? Idk... I'm sure enough time on Google could bring it up.

Edit: I'd also like to mention most of the discussion on Luck Stats were about the time COR was released, and most if not all in the COR section back when people suspected LUC would be added as a brand new stat. No dice.

Edit:found it - the 2007 Fan Festival!
    In regards to items like Four-Leaf Mandragora bud and so forth, items considered "lucky"

Do the luck items have any effect on drops and do they have to be consumed?
    There is no hidden effects programed for these items. But there is no program for luck.
    Plain and simple.
    (3)
    Last edited by Karbuncle; 04-07-2014 at 08:07 AM.

All right, then maybe I should clarify what I mean by saying these jobs are luck driven and maybe clarify how it should (maybe) be handled in this game. In every game even this one thief storywise has just been a luck driven game and corsair is NOTHING but a gambler and they always believe they have good luck. Erm...even in real life all gamblers believe this actually...but except for this one every game that has thieves or a thief like job in it has a luck attribute in one way or another. Now you say they decided to completely cut it out because it's "too hard to calculate". I believe the random number generator is a harder system or should I say, easier on them harder on us. Honestly do they plan on using it when they eventually put in the enmity control system for thief? Because of that's their plan *hangs up 70 thief knife*
    (0)
    Please do not post if you are drunk, high or madly delirious from lack of sleep...HEY WHERE'S EVERYONE???

Luck in old FF titles usually related to drop rates, or Critical hit chance. You can view that by looking at the wiki page on the FF Wiki.

Thats taken care of in XI by DEX, or AGI(For ranged), and Treasure Hunter as a trait. So if you'd like to think because they had luck in past FF games it must be a hidden stat in XI, then I rebut that they are not hidden, and in fact not LUC at all, but DEX, AGI, and Treasure Hunter.

So its not that they decided to leave it out, they added what you would consider a "Luck" stat through DEX/agi(crit rate), and Treasure hunter (Drop rates). But neither are a real "luck" cause as SE plainly stated, theres no way to program luck, since as a computer game, its done entirely through math, and even things that appear random, have a pattern.

So it falls to again, no, there is no luck in XI, at least not in the sense that its a hidden stat. Theres as much luck in XI as there is luck in hitting 21 in blackjack. Random chance.
    (1)

Ah, and actually I hate to say this but if all they use is a random number generator and not luck in any way then I believe Kincard may be right there's absolutely no reason for a thief or even a corsair to be in the game. No luck involved so technically every job can have the treasure hunter and even the steal abilities it really hasn't been fair that they've been monopolizing it for so long, just rename and respec them as an assassin and maybe just rename corsair (I don't know what to be honest but can't be anything gambling related).
    (0)

I personally hate Treasure Hunter and the randomness of COR, so in fact, i agree with you there.
    (1)

But seriously, I realize it's easier on them but it obviously is not on us so why use a mathematical luck calculator oops I mean a random number generator? Why not come up with something easier on both of us like maybe just a if you fail X amount of times the next time will be a success type of thing or something like that? Even if they set it high (20) it still should be a lot better than the Random number generator.
    (1)

Character
    Lithera
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 1
    Musketeer ? If they were to rename cor.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Lithera View Post
    Musketeer ? If they were to rename cor.
    Yeah I forgot about that musketeer would be a possible name for them. Ah but how to resolve the rolls...call them barrel rolls maybe (as in gun barrel)? Nah then the animation will look kooky.
    (0)
    Last edited by Blah; 04-07-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: forgot something

Duh pirate, and just call the rolls pirate rolls. I would suggest 2 guns twirling as an animation effect instead of the die but considering which way they have it twirling the animation would again look kooky.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast