Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Only factors are your skill vs. the level of the spell and if you are wearing your AF hands or not.
    ...Sorry but...I don't.play blue mage and even I know that's not all there is to it, and if they really are trying to emulate scroll drops then it would definitely be a lot easier bc all you need is treasure hunter for most scrolls to drop so learning the spell should be just as easy, that is that the blue mage should just have a high enough charisma or something like that. But of course the problem also is that most mobs act like jerks and don't use the skill. Blue mage in my linkshell one time...all he was trying to learn was headbutt, went for Quadavs because they use it so often....would not use it...not even once in 3 whole hours. Even tried the mandys...same thing...gave up and just went for something else entirely.
    (0)
    Please do not post if you are drunk, high or madly delirious from lack of sleep...HEY WHERE'S EVERYONE???

Character
    Gannon
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    ...Sorry but...I don't.play blue mage and even I know that's not all there is to it,
    That is all there is too it, aside from being lucky and seeing the move needed and actually learning it.

Blue mage in my linkshell one time...all he was trying to learn was headbutt, went for Quadavs because they use it so often....would not use it...not even once in 3 whole hours. Even tried the mandys...same thing...gave up and just went for something else entirely.
    Mandragoras can only teach Wild Oats, and Dream Flower. Headbutt can only be learned from Quadav and they have about a 1 out 5 chance of using the TP move.
    Since you are self-admittedly not a Blue Mage, this link is for your viewing pleasure: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Blue_Magic
    (0)
    Last edited by Gannon; 04-06-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Character
    Kaiichi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I'll start off with a short story. I level BLU with my family long ago, learning spells was fun. The End. That was only to about 50, needless to say, it's so much more fun with more BLU racing to cap skills etc. However, this is usually not the case as you no longer see parties of 5 BLUs and a COR or BRD. From 50-99 I did end up in an abbysea pt and that left me lacking in skill and having to solo my spells. After the journey, I am (well I was) completely done learning spell. So here are my tips.

1. It's okay to skip a spell, you can com back to it.
    2. Pick up a couple of cheep clubs, the lower the DMG the better. Sub NIN or DNC and start swinging (I used moogle and chocobo wands).
    3. Monsters tend to use TP more frequently at 1/2 there HP as they dont wait till 200% as they do at full HP.
    4. Take the time to raise your actual Blue Magic Skill.
    6. Don't spend too much time on one monster, there will always be more.
    7. Try to have fun with it, when becoming frustrated with a spell, come back to it later after you've had a moment to chill.
    8. Keep in mind how awesome Blue Magic spells are and know that eventually they will be yours.
    9. Remember. Blue Magic is Free. Although you could farm every Bard spell. There is one that comes to mind that still only drops from an ENM. That Shit is capped at 75. Ant no one have time for that.
    10. Lastly, as I tell my children, it's a game. Have fun or turn it off.
    (0)
    Warning: You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be misunderstood, misworded, misquoted, and then used against you. For this is the law of the interwebs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    That is all there is too it, aside from being lucky and seeing the move needed and actually learning it.

Mandragoras can only teach Wild Oats, and Dream Flower. Headbutt can only be learned from Quadav and they have about a 1 out 5 chance of using the TP move.
    Since you are self-admittedly not a Blue Mage, this link is for your viewing pleasure: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Blue_Magic
    All right I believe some clarification is in order, since I may not play blues but I do know for a fact mandys use headbutt, are you saying that they DON'T or are you saying that even though they do blues don't and never can learn it from them? Because that's such a cheap, weak BOGUS restriction it doesn't make sense.
    (0)
    Please do not post if you are drunk, high or madly delirious from lack of sleep...HEY WHERE'S EVERYONE???

And by the way I am actually talking pre-75 era so....yea this info may/ may not be accurate as it pertains to what monster can/cannot be allowed to teach things like headbutt and stuff that more than one monster uses.
    (0)

Character
    Kinspawn
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 87
    Thanks for the tips Kaiichi. Just to clarify I have a higher level BLU on my other character, I guess this thread was more to see how people feel the rate of learning blue magic is compared to the speed of which characters now level up.

It's quite easy now to get to level 30 in a few hours, and in that time you will have plenty of sparks to convert into gil to buy any scrolls you would need, but you can't do this as a BLU.

I do find learning spells fun, when it's spread out. It was spread out when I levelled my main BLU because it took hours just to get to level 10, bit the game is more fast paced and it just seems like BLU lags behind a bit.

Blah there are a few monsters that use the same named ability but you can't learn their spell. Mandragora and Quadav with Headbutt is one (you learn from Quadav) and I think Crawler and Hounds are another with Poison Breath (you learn from Hounds). Best place is use the wiki :-).
    (0)

Character
    Ravenns
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    All right I believe some clarification is in order, since I may not play blues but I do know for a fact mandys use headbutt, are you saying that they DON'T or are you saying that even though they do blues don't and never can learn it from them? Because that's such a cheap, weak BOGUS restriction it doesn't make sense.
    Blus can not learn headbutt from mandies at all and can only be learned from Quads. it is SE reasoning and they get to say what is learnable from which mobs. You also can not learn blu magic spells used by blu mage mobs(like cocoon, feather storm so). Nothing has changed since 75 as far as learning goes and being in 10 skill points and the af gloves are the only thing out side of how bad the RNG hates you that day to learn blu.
    (1)

Like I said though it doesn't make sense, if they use it you should be able to learn it from them. To jerk blue around in such a manner is Bull.
    (0)

I'm challenging anyone who claims there to be "more to it" to deliver a complete list over what "more" things there are to it, and evidence backing up their claims.

@gannon
    I know, i just wanted to hear what they would say
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I'm challenging anyone who claims there to be "more to it" to deliver a complete list over what "more" things there are to it, and evidence backing up their claims.

@gannon
    I know, i just wanted to hear what they would say
    *volunteers to have the hand chopped off* Unfortunately what I suspect is not possible bc it technically "isn't there". Still I believe Blue mage, Corsair and Thief rely heavily on the "invisible" attribute luck. Why it isn't there? Because then they'd have people harping on them about that and how they calculate it and since they don't want to explain/change they leave it off. I know, I know if it isn't there it's more than likely not a big factor but still that is what I think is attributing to the ease/ difficulty of learning...or not learning the blue magic. *waits for the hatchet*
    (0)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast