Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Self-latent effects

I propose a nice addition: self-latent effects. For example when escaping automatically running faster than normal (to escape). Hopefully nothing too outrageous comes to mind but what self-latent effect do you guys have in mind?
    (0)
    Please do not post if you are drunk, high or madly delirious from lack of sleep...HEY WHERE'S EVERYONE???

Character
    Kinspawn
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 87
    Don't self-latent effects exist? Like when your hp <= 75% etc. Like Sorcerers Ring. I'm not sure how the game would know you were "escaping" (unless you mean after using the spell "Escape").

Maybe if a mob hits you x number of times from behind, but it'd probably be a nightmare to code and so niche that no one would use it :-(.
    (0)

Well that's one thing, I'm not at all sure how it could be handled if it's a general self-latent effect it could be a nightmare to implement even with the low population...maybe if they make it questable it could work out a bit better, just when it's done give folks a key item that they can maybe use to keep track of them.
    (0)
    Please do not post if you are drunk, high or madly delirious from lack of sleep...HEY WHERE'S EVERYONE???

You have movement speed gear for when you want to run away. Or flee, if you are a thief
    (0)

true, but hopefully if done properly the self-latent effect will activate quicker than a JA or gear-swapping, which is why I suggested it in the 1st place...was also hoping non-battle effects could be implemented such as crafting or maybe harvesting effects but since hardly any1 would just want that self-latent I left that off.
    (0)

How exactly would the game know that you are attempting to flee?
    (0)

Well, I always thought the game always kinda keeps track of us anyway but if they don't like I said before they can have it questable then give us it as either a permanent key item or jobability and with that track us...again though this is all going on whether or not ah....it is...worth the...effort...for...a....few...measly self-latent effects. Might not be if none can be done without...erm...spying on us all crazy.
    (0)

The game keeps track of our actions, not our intentions. Even the ability actually named "Flee" isn't most commonly used to actually escape a battle. The game can't possibly hope to guess what we try to do most of the time. Is a person fleeing, or kiting? Are they fleeing or sacrifice pulling? The players know, the game doesn't.

With something like this implemented, I would intentionally aggro weak mobs for them to follow me, so that I could enjoy constant movement speed bonuses, even if I wasn't *really* fleeing. How would the game know?

Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    true, but hopefully if done properly the self-latent effect will activate quicker than a JA or gear-swapping, which is why I suggested it in the 1st place...was also hoping non-battle effects could be implemented such as crafting or maybe harvesting effects but since hardly any1 would just want that self-latent I left that off.
    How long does it take you to hit a movement speed macro? Probably a second at most. When was the last time one single second was what saved you from death when trying to outrun a monster? I can't remember when my last time was.

What other latent effects is it you would want anyway, except flee? Why would these need to be latent effects and not constant effects?
    (0)
    Last edited by Mirage; 04-01-2014 at 05:05 PM.

With something like this implemented, I would intentionally aggro weak mobs for them to follow me, so that I could enjoy constant movement speed bonuses, even if I wasn't *really* fleeing. How would the game know?
    That is precisely why self-latent effects, so one can do such things if/when they want. As for the other arguments when you're actually fighting, first you have to disengage then hit the macro or switch gears THEN hit the macro, all of which takes 4 or 5 seconds (or at least it seems to for me freaking disengage button) but with the effect just disengage and take off. And it could be argued that it could just be a constant effect, like actually just make all the Kupowers a constant effect....eh either way.
    (0)
    Last edited by Blah; 04-02-2014 at 12:41 AM. Reason: forgot to bold

Now that I think about it....it WOULD be the perfect way to maybe introduce the Kupowers into a different area. "Congratulations you've all done your work so well our Kupowers are now alive and well, but I believe there's another area in dire need of them, off to the east!" One can only hope.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast