Thread: Off-game chat?

Character
    Dragomair
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

Off-game chat?

I'm noticing that I miss out on a TON of shouts due to logging in just to join it (seeing the shout off-site, logging in to /tell the leader.)

Almost every time I get in, the spot's been filled.
    I think it'd help a lot of players who don't want to keep their characters logged in to afk in adoulin for days to get into a run they need.

Edit:

Sorry for the confusion, here's an extension of the idea;

A form of short term communication from the (Playonline Viewer?) that would require you to be logged in,
    (Something like the message system, but for people who aren't added as friends, and don't need to be read from the menu, (would send to you like a /tell)
    If abuse is expected, a setting to block off-game messages could be added. (Or just those thought to be spam)
    (0)
    Last edited by Dragomair; 03-29-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    They'll never put something in the game for this purpose, however there are other resources you can use to communicate with others and catch up; ffxiah.com has a shout/yell tracker, which is probably more what you're interested in, and there's also the ffochat IRC chat server, which isn't server specific but it is "off game chat" that you can talk to people on.

Edit: reading again it sounds like you're already doing that stuff. Well I guess then there's not much I can say to help. I really don't see them adding a way to chat with players ingame from outside of it- I could see that being highly abusable by spam bots (not necessarily even RMT related- Making it possible to talk to the game outside of the game opens the door to the use of bots and scripts to annoy/abuse people to a greater extent than is already possible)
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-29-2014 at 01:53 AM.

I think the problem isn't that he can't see them, but that he can't respond until after logging in to the game, which usually is too late to get a spot.

Personally, I'd just leave the game logged in while doing other stuff.
    (0)

Character
    Dragomair
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Sorry for the confusion, here's an extension of the idea;

A form of short term communication from the (Playonline Viewer?) that would require you to be logged in,
    (Something like the message system, but for people who aren't added as friends, and don't need to be read from the menu, (would send to you like a /tell)
    If abuse is expected, a setting to block off-game messages could be added. (Or just those thought to be spam)
    (1)

Staying logged in is the only way to send messages. You can always leave TeamViewer up on your system and remote control FFXI from that on a variety of devices. LogMeIn used to do it to, but they got rid of the free version.
    (0)

Character
    Dragomair
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    Staying logged in is the only way to send messages. You can always leave TeamViewer up on your system and remote control FFXI from that on a variety of devices. LogMeIn used to do it to, but they got rid of the free version.
    I close the game so I can do other things on my computer without lag, (netflix, etc) keeping the game open isn't really an option at the moment, I'll just have to deal with missing shouts.
    (0)

Character
    Infidi
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragomair View Post
    I close the game so I can do other things on my computer without lag, (netflix, etc) keeping the game open isn't really an option at the moment, I'll just have to deal with missing shouts.
    Short time solution would be to get a console version. I bet some of the older expansions collections are pretty cheap. ^^ Even if don't have ALL expansions can just use it as a /tell if you're watching shouts on PC through FFXIAH or what have you.Then can log on PC.
    (0)
    Last edited by Infidi; 03-29-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragomair View Post
    You could always get a computer that doesn't have issues with leaving FFXI in the background .
    (1)

Character
    Aubinann
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 74
    Personally, I'd rather see a Linkshell mobile app so that we can talk with LS members when we're offline.
    (0)

Character
    Dragomair
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    You could always get a computer that doesn't have issues with leaving FFXI in the background .
    My computer can handle FFXI in the background but I play other games and stream movies :P
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast