Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Has anyone said "know what? I'm not a tank!"

I'm only level 39 RUN but thus far I've felt like the job is a very poor tank. I feel more like some kind of burst damage dealer.

So was wondering if anyone has tried just being a DD RUN? Like RUN/DRK or something? Use last resort for the haste and lunges for damage and just save your wards for AoE spells?

I mean RUN could turn out to be an awesome DD that can just cover itself from magic damage. Like how NIN was supposed to be a ranged DD but ended up being a tank.
    (1)

Character
    Aoikaminari
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    No. Rune Fencer is a tank, so I play it as a tank.... by myself..
    (5)

Character
    Damane
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalabob View Post
    I'm only level 39 RUN but thus far I've felt like the job is a very poor tank. I feel more like some kind of burst damage dealer.

So was wondering if anyone has tried just being a DD RUN? Like RUN/DRK or something? Use last resort for the haste and lunges for damage and just save your wards for AoE spells?

I mean RUN could turn out to be an awesome DD that can just cover itself from magic damage. Like how NIN was supposed to be a ranged DD but ended up being a tank.
    no offense, but RUN makes a very weak DD compared to other DDs like WAR MNK SAM DRK DRG
    (1)

Character
    Presidentobama
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I think you are a noob. ou are lvl 39. Not even hgh enough to sub the job, or get the majority of the JT, JA or spells. Low lvl jobs before lvl 60 don't do much thn melee. A prime example could been dark knight. From lvl 20 to 50 or so it would use a great axe due to Stumwind double hit weapon skill. But 60+ it get spinning slash and guitone. You need to lvl up more.
    (2)

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimjongil View Post
    I think you are a noob. ou are lvl 39. Not even hgh enough to sub the job, or get the majority of the JT, JA or spells. Low lvl jobs before lvl 60 don't do much thn melee. A prime example could been dark knight. From lvl 20 to 50 or so it would use a great axe due to Stumwind double hit weapon skill. But 60+ it get spinning slash and guitone. You need to lvl up more.
    Doesn't matter what level I am, I don't feel like a tank, it's like saying "WHM shouldn't feel like a healer til lvl 60". I've not experienced this with any other job I've levelled up except RUN, the closest thing would be WAR up to qufim where you'd occasionally be asked to tank. A job shouldn't have to wait til level 60 to feel like the role it's supposed to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    no offense, but RUN makes a very weak DD compared to other DDs like WAR MNK SAM DRK DRG
    Again I'm not very high level so maybe it doesn't scale well, but thus far with a weaponskill, lunge and swipe I can pull off some big burst numbers.
    (4)
    Last edited by Cabalabob; 03-24-2014 at 03:41 AM.

Character
    Damane
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalabob View Post
    Doesn't matter what level I am, I don't feel like a tank, it's like saying "WHM shouldn't feel like a healer til lvl 60". I've not experienced this with any other job I've levelled up except RUN, the closest thing would be WAR up to qufim where you'd occasionally be asked to tank. A job shouldn't have to wait til level 60 to feel like the role it's supposed to fill.

Again I'm not very high level so maybe it doesn't scale well, but thus far with a weaponskill, lunge and swipe I can pull off some big burst numbers.
    I am talking from a llvl 99 perspectiv. RUN can NOT compete with other serious DDs, not in any way. it lacks the job traits for it. If it subs WAR it lacks hasso from SAM, if it subs SAM it lacks Berserk and Double attack from WAR, if it subs DRK it is has "berserk" and "hasso" for 3 min. If you want to use double axes to make use of awesome ruinator it has to sub /nin... again no berserk or DA.

Its a tank job, and atm its not very good at that either compared to pld :/

low lvls are a very bad indication to say if a job is good as a Damage dealer, Jobs start to drift out at lvl 60~ then again drasticly at lvl 75-80

it cant even compete against the lower DDs.
    (4)

Player
    Hey Cabalabob , I can see why you would want it to be a Damage Dealer, but in reality we do need more tanks in this game than just Paladin and Ninja.
    (2)

All right here's a question...erm statement then question: it appears the way they started it out it was to be a "magic tank" (people I know that played it right off noted that) if it does that extremely well then...why try...to...make...it...a "physical damage" tank? I mean I thought they wanted it to be the magic tank not tank tank and unless there's absolutely no end game scenario that needs a magic tank then I guess I can see why people are maybe complaining and in that case they could, I don't know, give it a job ability to....maybe...switch...to.physical runes or something like that?
    (0)
    Please do not post if you are drunk, high or madly delirious from lack of sleep...HEY WHERE'S EVERYONE???

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    RUN isn't really a tank due to how damage and enmity works in FFXI. There are very few situations that a RUN would ever be better then a PLD, and those involved a very specific enfeeble effect that prevents the PLD from shield blocking. Otherwise no, you won't be a "tank" in the traditional sense, you have paper thin defense and thus lose CE far to fast. You will get an ability that makes you a parry god, for 90s with a 5min recast.

Now for what RUN is really good at, support melee. RUN is in the same category that BLU and DNC are, they support other melee's while also providing some damage. You'll never be as good as the heavy guys but you'll provide enough damage to justify your slot because your also keeping them alive longer via two abilities. First is Valiance which allows you to give everyone in your party a 60% reduction in magic damage from a specific element. That 60% is outside the regular MDT reduction term, the only thing comparable to Aegis which is 40%. So yes you can make your entire party stronger then an Aegis PLD to a specific magic element, while yourself is pretty much immune to that element. It lasts 3:15 min with a 5min recast, so there is a cool down period involved. You will be ok as vallation lasts 2min but your party is going to be extra careful. That is when your other ability comes into play, One For All. OFA generates a magic stoneskin effect that's pretty strong. It only lasts 30s and has a 5m recast, but that's usually long enough to absorb a few smaller attacks or one big one. You can also lower the enemies magic resistance or vulnerability to a specific magic type, the effect doesn't last long but it's pretty potent.

After that the rest of your abilities of focused on making you really hard to kill with a specific magic type. Of note is your two SP abilities. Elemental Sforzo is just magic version of invincible compete with super hate generation, you become immune to all forms of magic damage, of course your still made of paper. The second one (can't remember name) is interesting, it's a 30s severe reduction in the enemies magic accuracy. Pop it on an NM and nothing it does will land for full effect if it even lands at all, kind of a reverse elemental seal. Only 30s but really useful if you know something nasty is coming.

Unfortunately RUN is too situational to bring to most group events. It's typically a drag on the party, but when it's useful it's VERY useful to have. New Skirmish and Shark Delve runs are perfect examples of when RUN is useful.

All right here's a question...erm statement then question: it appears the way they started it out it was to be a "magic tank" (people I know that played it right off noted that) if it does that extremely well then...why try...to...make...it...a "physical damage" tank? I mean I thought they wanted it to be the magic tank not tank tank and unless there's absolutely no end game scenario that needs a magic tank then I guess I can see why people are maybe complaining and in that case they could, I don't know, give it a job ability to....maybe...switch...to.physical runes or something like that?
    Because there are very few boss's in this game that only have magic attacks. They often have high damage physical ones too. To make it worse RUN can only defense against a single type of magic at once, and there are nine with one being non-elemental that RUN can't do sh!t about. So if your target is highly elemental specific, then your golden, but if it's got access to a few physical moves along with two or more elemental attacks with enfeebling effects, well now your f*cked.
    (2)
    Last edited by saevel; 03-24-2014 at 08:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Player
    I don't understand why people want them to be damage dealers would you prefer to compete against the 18 damage dealers in the game, or would you prefer to compete against 2 tanks lol.
    (2)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast