Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Will the new UI be released in our lifetime?

I've played with the new UI on the test server. Aside from being very ugly looking in its current state, it has a lot of promise. I like being able to have different screens open at the same time especially. But currently, it's extremely unfinished and only like half the UI text is translated in the English client. Maybe some people don't care, I don't know, but it's not worth developing if they are going to give it such a low priority that it will never be finished.

I remember when this was first announced and I was really excited about it. It was brought up around the same time as Cait Sith (which we FINALLY have). I would reeeeally like to see it finished. Please?

(though as an aside, one of the things that bugs me most, especially after being so used to XIV's mouse input, is that the mouse control in XI still hasn't been addressed. Aside from clicking on UI buttons it's still worthless- the method by which the mouse controls camera and character movement is about as clunky as it could possibly get, with movement of either being limited to 8 directions despite the mouse being an analog input device capable of fine movement in any direction)
    (8)

Player
    I actually really cared about the idea of a new UI, until I saw it, now I'm like, whatevers.

Sure, it gives 30 macros over 20, and different chatboxes, these things are nice, but I was hoping for so much more.
    (0)

3. 03-22-2014 10:36 PM

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Personally, I'm most happy about being able to keep certain things on the screen that you normally can't, and the ability to move everything around, especially the party windows and target window, which i find difficult to see at high resolutions.
    (1)

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I've been away for awhile now so pretty disappointed to hear this is in limbo. They were moving along pretty good there for a bit with additions to the windows version. Now it seems like with the last exodus of players from the game they have decided to abandon the UI project for the time being. I guess a lot of those players were playing the windows version of the game.

I wish they would use their FFXIV "We gots to redeem ourselfs because we're all about quality service" logic in regards to FFXI, but I guess a game over ten years old isn't good enough for maintaining their company and FF franchise image. I mean you know what the deal here is but you don't really care to think about it because it sucks. All one can do is consistently remind reps that this is still a MMORPG, we're still playing, still paying, and after over ten years there's certain expectations to give the game a breathe of fresh air. Even games with half the current pop of this one find time to spruce up the graphics or whatnot. It's just... etc stuff I cannot say here but we're all thinking it.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    As I mentioned, if you go on the test server you can check it out, it has a lot of promise (the one thing I can say I don't like is the macro pallete can't be hidden- I see they were trying to make it act more like the hotbar in any other MMO but unfortunately the mouse input is still dodgy at best), the problem is as I said, it's presently in a very unfinished state with a lot of the text untranslated (Half the buttons and setting labels all say "EN_temporary"). I very much want it to be in the game though, but it seems to be set to bottom-of-the-barrel priority level at the moment.
    (1)

Player
    For what it's worth, the test server in its entirety seems to be bottom-of-the-barrel priority right now, since it's two months out of date vs. the normal servers. An update of the test server to, I don't know, show things currently in testing for April/May would be nice, in conjunction with some updates to the new UI.
    (1)

Player
    Messing with the Test Server means putting off work of actual content that's coming in the game very quickly as this point.
    (0)

Player
    I think the UI has been put off because they seem to have heavily changed priorities. They went from releasing content slowly every few months with a few goodies and changes to pre-existing things, into a quick releasing frenzy that not only adds new content and improves old, but also has been flat out redefining the game in a few ways when it comes to ease of access and quality of life adjustments. The UI itself isn't a bad idea, but it seems like they are now focused on broader changes with the game itself rather than the display so they can make it better as a whole. That could just be my view on things though.
    (4)

Character
    Bananavivi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99

I also agree, the new UI functions fairly well but looks terrible in it's current state.

Here's a very very quick concept I mocked up along the lines of what I'd like to see done with it. It's not "Final Fantasy" themed like the one in 14, but I think it's a legible, clean look for usabilities sake.
    (5)

Greetings,

We checked in with the development team about the current status of the new UI. They mentioned that there are still a lot of aspects that need to be revamped and reworked, and due to this the implementation period has not been finalized. I apologize for the delay, but we’ll be sure to keep you updated as more information becomes available.
    (11)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast