Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by crptaculous View Post
    Real world isn't good at depending or reflecting averages 100% of the time. Most people just have real bad luck, and could end up doing 12 Holy ???s , and lets say a few landed on lower rolls, for lets say 2-4k each, and then one mega roll for 40k...ok, best case result: 52k damage over 38s x 12 = 7 minutes 36 seconds. ok, great, now lets do ramuh: 9k x12 = 108k damage over the same time period.
    This 'math' is absolutely terrible, not to mention completely unfathomable; You can't just make up stats. To decide upon an average, you need to either do significant testing and then show what the average or total damage is, or (again after testing) work out what the actual chance of getting each roll is and the amount of damage each roll does.

Also assuming that the 'has no effect' message is indeed linked to whether or not the mobs level is a multiple of the random dice roll, then using ??? Holy on a level 120 mob will always do at least SOME damage. So it does have some good uses, and this will significantly boost the average damage. Unfortunately, this is only applicable to mobs with a level of a multiple of 60.

While your example shows 1 x good roll, 4 x bad rolls and 7 no effects, this won't always be the case, depending on the level of the mob. A lvl 100 mob will hit on 1,2,4 and 5, while a 101 mob will only hit on a 1.

It also requires further testing as to which number is actually the huge damage. If it's 1 then that's fine and dandy, but if it's 6 then it could imply that only mobs of a multiple of 6 can get huge damage and mobs outside that level scope it's pointless using it on.

It might of course not be based on level at all, but without significant testing on mobs with a known level, then we'll maybe never know (unless SE tells us).
    (0)

Character
    Calatilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I have used ??? Holy on the lv100 Mandies outside of Adoulin and I noticed that if I rolled a 5 it would generally do more damage than if I were to roll a 1. This isn't proof of anything just what I`ve seen. The damage itself could just be completely random and only the chance of it actually doing any damage is affected by the number you roll.
    (0)

Character
    Zeich
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Iirc, the calculation for Level ??? Holy was something like this:

Roll the number, 1-6. Hit is determined by the mob's level; if they are a multiple of that level, then they will take damage.

Damage varies by the number rolled. The higher the number (and thus the lower chance of hitting), the greater the damage. Level 1 Holy will always hit, but do lesser damage, while Level 6 Holy has a 1/6 chance (6, 12, 18, 24, etc) of hitting, but does far greater damage proportionately.
    (0)
    [Kensagaku - formerly of Kujata] - http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Valefor/Kensagaku

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5