Character
    Hebond
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1

Bought the Game and HDD 10 Years Ago...

Hello,

As the title states, I bought the game and HDD set 10 years ago or so when it was first released in the USA. With poor internet back then, I never actually played it. I installed the HDD and bought a network adapter, but never used them. A few days ago, I found my PS2 in storage and forgot what was wrong with it (I bought a slim one years ago because my big one, that I've had since it's release, was broken).

I opened it up, cleaned it up (was VERY dirty from sitting in an outdoor storage shed for 7 years), and assumed it didn't work. Plugged it in, and the red light came on! Turned it on and was very surprised that it still worked. I tried to open the tray, but it wouldn't open, and that's when I remembered that that was the problem. I then opened it up, cleaned the lens, and watched a youtube video on how to fix the disc tray. The tray wasn't on the rack correctly, was a PITA to fix, but worked! Then I tried to use the controller and it didn't work. Opened it back up, and the cable ribbon going to the controller ports had a crease on it. Ordered a new one from Ebay, installed it, and the PS2 works great! The only problem is that if it stands vertical, the tray won't open. No problem.

Then I got curious. I figured that I missed out on a very rich experience because I LOVE final fantasy games, and that no one plays this game any more. I put in the install disc anyway and it took about an hour and a half to update playonline and configure my internet. I then created a square enix account and entered the registration code found in the big manual that came with the game. It worked! I also used the FFXI registration code and it also worked. It was a HUGE pain to figure out how to get a content ID. Why it is so buried and difficult is beyond me. It took some searching on forums to find out that others have had similar struggles.

After hours of figuring that out, I finally was able to enter FFXI. In doing so, I was prompted to update the game. It took 10 and a half hours to download and install 10 years worth of updates, so the PS2 went at it all night. I created a character, and am finally able to play! I will have very little time to play now, but I will get at it at some point soon.

Just thought others would think this was a pretty cool story; I sure do! I am happy to finally experience this game! Hello to all!
    (5)

Cool! Now get the windows version
    (2)

Player
    Yeah I hate to say it, but as platforms go, the PS2 is a poor one these days, if you've got a PC (even a pretty crappy one, and I assume you do since you're posting on the forum), I highly reccomend playing on PC, you don't have to even buy it for PC, your PS2 character and POL-ID will work, though you'll have to re-download it, obviously for PC.
    (0)

He's likely missing all expansions past Promathia though, if he even bought that. The game is going to be hard to play missing those, and buying a collection for PC is cheaper than buying the expansions individually. It's possible to install to either platform nowadays without the actual discs, even Adoulin on PS2 which didn't get a disc outside of Japan.
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Try to get your hands on a copy of the PS2 version of the "Vana'diel Collection" from 2008. It contains everything that was ever (or will ever be) released for the NA version of the PS2. Otherwise you'll be scrounging around for Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Urhgan and Wings of the Goddess separately.
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Hebond
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Thank you for the replies!

I looked around Ebay for the collection of expansions (I have Rise of the Zilart already) and found that most of them either say that the codes have been used, or don't say either way. And if they haven't been used, they are priced to the point that ordering them, paying shipping, and waiting wouldn't be better than buying and downloading them separately online. I will hold off until I explore and realize that I need them, because I doubt I will spend much time on this game until summer.

Also, as far as keyboards go, are there any specific ones that I should use, or will any USB keyboard do fine? If I find that I will be able to spend enough time on the game, I will probably go the PC route, but until then, I want to at least use the hardware that I have saved all this time, for no other reason than nostalgia and feeling bad that my mother bought this stuff for me back then and I didn't use it. HAHA!
    (1)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by HughJass170 View Post
    I looked around Ebay for the collection of expansions (I have Rise of the Zilart already) and found that most of them either say that the codes have been used, or don't say either way.
    If you can pick up the "Ultimate Collection" for PC, do so. You'd still need PS2 media to play on the PS2, but the registration codes are universal so that you only need one set of codes to access content on all three platforms.

(It will also give you the added bonus of giving you some low-level swag designed for players just starting out.)

Unfortunately for you, it still seems to be sitting at ~$30 a year after the release of Seekers of Adoulin and the associated "Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition," while the "Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition" flirted with $5 just before the launch.

(If you'd like to wait, it is technically possible to go all the way to level 117 using only the software you have now.)

Also, as far as keyboards go, are there any specific ones that I should use, or will any USB keyboard do fine?
    There's a list of approved keyboards here, but in general any USB keyboard should work fine, provided it's just a USB keyboard. For example, I've had issues with keyboards with integrated touchpads. Keep things cheap and simple and you should do fine.

NOTE: The PS2 version as a longstanding issue where some keystrokes repppppppeat randommmmly on occasion. It's not you, it's not the keyboard, it's the game.
    (1)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Correct. If you get a registration code for PC, you can use any relevant PS2 media to install the game on your PS2, even if the codes for those particular copies have been used. As far as SE is concerned, you have paid for access to the expansions, and are paying for monthly access to the service.
    (0)

I buy all the expansions for PS2 myself, since I need JP registration codes, and that's the easiest physical copy to get since download copies are unpurchasable with an IP outside of Japan. I also started on PS2 near JP launch. Once an expansion is registered, it is unlocked on your account on all platforms, as long as it is installed. They only changed the system for FFXIV, where you have to have paid for a copy and registered it for each different platform you play on (PC, PS3, and PS4). FFXI doesn't care what region or platform your client is as long as you've registered the data.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    I buy all the expansions for PS2 myself, since I need JP registration codes, and that's the easiest physical copy to get since download copies are unpurchasable with an IP outside of Japan. I also started on PS2 near JP launch. Once an expansion is registered, it is unlocked on your account on all platforms, as long as it is installed. They only changed the system for FFXIV, where you have to have paid for a copy and registered it for each different platform you play on (PC, PS3, and PS4). FFXI doesn't care what region or platform your client is as long as you've registered the data.
    Wait are you saying you can actually play FFXIV on the PS4? :O
    (0)
    Last edited by Blah; 03-11-2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: wrong emoticon
    Please do not post if you are drunk, high or madly delirious from lack of sleep...HEY WHERE'S EVERYONE???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast