Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    There is a version for PS4 in development. There have been beta tests.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    Wait are you saying you can actually play FFXIV on the PS4? :O
    Those people in the beta have been warned that upgrading their PS3 version to PS4 for no cost will lose access to the PS3 version. The FC I was in was complaining about that. I don't have either PS platform, so it isn't something I've experienced.
    (0)

If they didn't want to upgrade their PS3 version to a PS4 version, they could have kept their PS3 version and bought a brand new PS4 version. Some people are just spoiled.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    If they didn't want to upgrade their PS3 version to a PS4 version, they could have kept their PS3 version and bought a brand new PS4 version. Some people are just spoiled.
    It's more that they have a PS3 at each location, and a PS4 at one location, and their spouse plays at the same time. They want to upgrade to PS4 so they can free up the PS3 for their spouse, but by doing so, they lose access to playing on the PS3 at their in-laws' house when visiting, because they dared upgrade to PS4. Another had their PS4 break a few weeks after getting it, with a turnaround of a month to get a replacement, and that could be time they wouldn't be able to play if they are console-only and upgraded, because they can't fall back to the backup platform.

I'm surprised they require registration for each platform myself. My other platforms are a backup for when one doesn't work, as I've had times in the past where either the PS2 or the PC version wasn't working properly (PS2 didn't work with ClearWire internet, and PC version stopped working with my graphics card when WotG released). Having to buy yet another copy to use my same account would be frustrating. Many MMOs offer the client download for free and you just pay the subscription. SE has even made the PC client freely downloadable several times. I understand the copy protection on console discs, because console manufacturers make that mandatory, but PC has no such limitation, and even on consoles you can borrow an install disc.
    (0)

Hmmm very very interesting...but wait...if they were going to make it for the PS4 why make it...for the...PS3?
    (0)
    Please do not post if you are drunk, high or madly delirious from lack of sleep...HEY WHERE'S EVERYONE???

PS4 wasn't out in 2010 when FFXIV came out and they had been working on a PS3 version. Part of ARR was decreasing the game requirements to fit within PS3 capabilities, and then PS4 came out. Supporting a current console makes sense, and Xbox One won't get SE the same deal they got with FFXI of not requiring a Live subscription and MS servers.
    (0)

ps3 also has a much larger install base. I doubt you'll be able to play on ps4 without a psn+ membership.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    ps3 also has a much larger install base. I doubt you'll be able to play on ps4 without a psn+ membership.
    But now wait that still doesn't quite make sense, even if it wasn't out they had to know it was coming, and to try to say...that they wanted people to...buy it for the PS3 simply because of no psn membership? Kinda...kinda...kinda screwy.
    (0)
    Please do not post if you are drunk, high or madly delirious from lack of sleep...HEY WHERE'S EVERYONE???

That's not what I said.

The PS3 has a very much larger install base, and will have so for quite a while, considering most people that actually do want a PS4 right now can't buy it because most stores are out of stock. With a PS3 version, they also reach out to markets where many players might think the PS4 is still way too expensive

Then I also said, on a completely unrelated note, that you'll probably have to pay for PSN+ membership for online play on the PS4, even if it is an MMO not run on Sony's own servers.
    (0)
    Last edited by Mirage; 03-14-2014 at 04:27 AM.

So are you saying that you can...play...FFXIV...without a membership on the PS3 but it may/will be impossible on the PS4? Because that is kinda what I was trying to find out. And on a side note just because it has more people playing don't mean they might not feel tricked (maybe?) If they bought it for their PS3 and then bam out for the newer system not 2 years later. Erm or is it three? dang time is flying.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast