Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99

Why doesn't a monk's counter generate tp?

Hi SE,

Could you explain this one to me again? When a monk counters it does damage to the mob. Countering is striking inside an opponents strike and getting there first. Shouldn't it generate tp?
    (0)

Player
    MNK are overpowered as is they don't need something to set off the DD scale even more.
    (4)

Player
    I'd rather see other jobs buffed rather than Mnk nerfed, (not that it needs TP from counter, yes, War gets it from retaliation, but it doesn't matter enough to matter) I don't feel like Mnk is overpowered for the content and roles it's used for, I feel like many other jobs that fufill similar roles and content are underpowered, but admittedly, it's a matter of perspective, comparing each job to the content, rather than against each other.
    (2)

Balancing is a b*tch.

As a RDM I've seen my job being denied so many things that are clearly ours in favor of making other jobs better instead. I mean, I can't really blame the Devs for being so afraid of us, but that doesn't make it suck less.

And MNK is probably the next target for "adjustments".
    (2)

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Would it really be overpowered if counter generated tp? Consider:

Monks are primarily used against bosses as DD's, not tanks. If the monk got hate, momentarily, then they may counter once or twice, till hate is pulled. The tp generated would be minimal at most.

If the monk in tanking mode then they're usually up against one NM and won't mass counter.

If the monk is tanking multiple NQ mobs, then yes, you'll see massive tp gain, as in the warrior's retaliation, and would gain tp in the same manner as a warrior would tanking multiple NQ mobs.

So, is allowing a monk's counter to generate tp really that overpowered? I think no.
    (0)

The way they go about it is that it's not that this specific change would be OP by itself, but that since the job as a whole is considered OP to begin with (mainly because people complain about it) any addition to it would make it even more OP than before.

RDM has suffered from this for years upon years, where this type of things are given to other jobs instead because we were considered OP at the time. Even if the skill or spell in question was anything but that.
    (0)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Because you are basically making the mob hit itself instead of you while retaliation just hits it in response to hitting you. That's just from a lore perspective... if you want to compare power well you can get 80% counter rate while Retaliation is much lower from the testing I've seen 20-50% with less for higher delays. Counter prevents dmg retalaition doesn't. Also they updated it awhile back to make it so you couldn't block a countered hit. Don't think they fixed that yet. Not sure it's been tested it but probably counts for gaurd and the weird ghetto gaurd they give pld mobs without shields.

Also mnks have been used as counter tanks in the past... and sorta still like how you see 4 mnk + 2 support groups to take on nms and such. Sure not the mobs that you need a pld on but most other things it works
    (0)

Character
    Damane
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthar View Post
    Would it really be overpowered if counter generated tp? Consider:

Monks are primarily used against bosses as DD's, not tanks. If the monk got hate, momentarily, then they may counter once or twice, till hate is pulled. The tp generated would be minimal at most.

If the monk in tanking mode then they're usually up against one NM and won't mass counter.

If the monk is tanking multiple NQ mobs, then yes, you'll see massive tp gain, as in the warrior's retaliation, and would gain tp in the same manner as a warrior would tanking multiple NQ mobs.

So, is allowing a monk's counter to generate tp really that overpowered? I think no.
    This has to be a joke right? At the current state how counter rate works it would totally break the job and pull it even further ahead with little to no effort needed compared to other DD (not like monk needs alot of effort now compared to other DDs) if they would get TP from it
    (0)

It would be considerably overpowered, MNKs are in fact used as tanks these days. Exceptions being perhaps any of the new Hardmode fights like AA and the Super Zilart Bros. As is MNK is a wrecking house OP DD, adding any DD buff to it is in fact pushing them further ahead, which is just something the job does not need right now.

But the reason would likely be balance, Retaliation gains TP Because you receive damage still, as a balance, Countering Nullifies damage completely and deals damage to the enemy, but generates no TP.
    (1)

Character
    Martel
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Also they updated it awhile back to make it so you couldn't block a countered hit. Don't think they fixed that yet. Not sure it's been tested it but probably counts for guard and the weird ghetto guard they give pld mobs without shields.
    Before, When you proc'd a shield block on a counter, it would count as the counter missing. So the counter wouldn't fire at all and the PLD's hit would go through normally. This was very useful on mobs with high counter rates, or counter enhancing buffs.

Then one update, it just changed. Without notice, nothing in update notes, nothing from dev team. Wasn't listed in the known or resolved issues.

Currently, not only to you get hit by the counters, but you can't block the DMG from them. So MNK mobs get to completely bypass Ochain's defenses on counters. It's extremely annoying. Still pissed about it.

Submitted bug reports, but as usual, nothing. -.-
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast