Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Character
    Zeich
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    You may be thinking of the FF Tactics Geomancer, which was indeed a melee class, wielding light armor (iirc) and hammers/axes/swords. However, they were far, far weaker in their magic capabilities, limited to whatever terrain they or the enemy was standing on, meaning that the majority of their spells literally could not be cast. This is taking to the more magic side of Geomancer, which we see in a lot of other titles; FF3 and FF5 both accent a magic-based geomancer who uses bells as their primary weapon, and while early in 3 you could use a Geomancer in the frontline wielding double bells for good damage, it drops off severely in favor of their Geomancy ability, giving them powerful effects like Shadowflare and such.

Geomancer is a mage, pure and simple; while all mages have some potential to melee (SMN alongside their avatar, the advent of the WHM/NIN, SCHs and BLMs getting TP with nukes while meleeing, etc), the fact of the matter is that they are not built to do so in moderate to high tier content. Frontlines usually only have their physical attacks going for them, with only some (BLU, PLD, DRK) having some magic functions. Of those, BLU is the one who can mix magic and melee best; PLD and DRK have, for the most part, supplementary spells, i.e. Flash/Reprisal/Cures etc for PLD, and Absorbs/Endark/Drains etc for DRK. Mages, on the other hand, have a wide range of versatile abilities in varying tiers so that they can control their enmity generation, their power, and the general flow of battle depending on their choice of spells.

For a GEO, they have incredibly potent buffs, and even if they only have two, they can change a game. Me being GEO in my Incursion group with Indi-haste up as one of my buffs means that with one March my DDs cap, and our WHM can worry about erases, healing, etc without having to keep up a haste cycle. This makes their job incredibly more easy. Combined with Fury or Frailty on all but the boss of the area, my DDs kill stuff even faster, making our runs more successful. You could ask, "well since you're in the frontline with Indi-Haste, why don't you melee?" Truth be told, I used to. A lot. But that was a lower levels, 123-125. At that point, my acc tanked, even with food and better accuracy gear (Ouryu body eludes me yet though...). Additionally, my role became a ton more focused on stunning between buff casts, to mitigate damage to the party, so I constantly have to switch between my club for Refresh and my staff for either recast (Apa II) or accuracy once resist builds (Twebuliij). I can't keep up TP even if I could hit, because I have to stun every 10-15 seconds or so.

Unlike BLU and RDM, who are very confused as to their job identity and sit on the fence due to a mix of SE decisions and community expectations (BLU leaning towards melee with some spell use, while RDM tends to be preferred as a buffer/caster), GEO has a very set-in-stone role. They are a pure caster, which means they use cloth-type armor and are not intended to melee. I do wonder why they were put on hammers/mauls early on to be taken off later, but then again there's not a lot of those in endgame either.
    (0)
    [Kensagaku - formerly of Kujata] - http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Valefor/Kensagaku

Character
    Siegmont
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 90
    Geomancer has never been a "mage pure and simple". Geomancer has always been a Mixed class type. Yes their attack is not comparable to a melee type class but they do more damage melee wise over your average mage. eg: Wiki Final Fantasy jobs.

Even stat growths on both FF3 and FF5 gave Geomancer very even stat with AGI and INT just having a lead over the other stats (shown here). I see the same thing in this game. If the Dev team say made a series of rods that are Geomancer specific Handbell similar to Hammers for WHM, maybe giving slightly more damage on the Handbells followed with some jerkins it would help with Indi-Haste on the frontline. This would allow Geomancers to to have that ability to not be as squishy.
    (0)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10