Character
    Mims
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99

Espial Gambison Set Bonus

After quite a bit of using the Espial Gambison set on my White Mage, I believe it's set bonus may be mistranslated.

From what I've been digging up, its set bonus in English, Japanese, German, and French is as follows:
    Set: Critical hit damage +10%
    ション:クリティカルヒット+10%
    Set: Krit. Schaden+10%
    Combinaison: Coups critiques+10%

Now, I'm not remotely fluent in any language but English, but I believe that Japanese and French are reporting the set bonus as critical hit rate, and English and German reporting as critical hit damage. From my own testing I've been finding my critical hit rate to be suspiciously 10% higher, leading to my belief that the English and German items are being reported incorrectly.

Can I get any confirmation on this?
    (0)

Character
    Martel
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    The espial set has +102 dex on it. It could easily be pushing you dDEX up enough to gain 10% crit rate. Depends on what you were wearing before, and your targets AGI

A better way to check this, would be to test for the crit dmg+. And it's a really simple test too.

You just do a couple ranged crits vs level one mobs, with and without espial set. fSTR should autocap now, so no issue there. If the crit dmg is present, there should be a 10% difference between the espial and normal samples.

So then, if you Don't see the crit dmg+, then you go on to crit rate tests.
    (0)

Character
    Mims
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I've been comparing my Whm to my Drk, Martel, and there is a clear 7-12% gap between the jobs that cannot be attributed to dexterity, fencer, or other gear. I will go ahead and try throwing weapons in starter areas, response to follow.
    (0)

When in doubt, i trust the JP description.
    (0)

Character
    Martel
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Well, I went ahead and tried it myself.

286 crit on wild rabbit. Did another just to be sure.

Then 5/5 Espial, and again

286 crit. and repeated.

There's def not ant crit DMG+ on this set. <,<;;

So more than likely it is crit rate. Or just completely glitched.
    (0)
    Last edited by Martel; 02-27-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Character
    Mims
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quick testing using Martel's method is very consistent, ranged critical hits were only doing either 195 or 243 damage, both with 5/5 Espial set and 4/5 Espial set. Pretty sure the discrepancy was due to the ideal range bonus.

Short answer, there does not appear to be a critical hit damage bonus on the Espial set, it's text in the English version is off.

/edit
    Tested with 0/5 Espial and got the exact same damage values. There is absolutely no Critical Hit Damage bonus on the Espial set.
    (0)
    Last edited by pieceofsoap; 02-27-2014 at 11:16 AM.