Character
    Ferocity
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

Can we have fishing gear quests?

I think it would be fun to have quests for ultimate fishing armor. Kind of like relic equipment but for fishing gear, with special fishing enhancements tied to them.

Maybe have the quest be something along the lines of having to physically catch specific types of fish, x amount of times.

Thoughts?
    (0)

Character
    Aisaka
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Would be nice, but I think they would need to make fishing more appealing to the average player first.
    Probably less than 1% of all players actually fish, which makes developing these kinds of things a "waste of time" in the eyes of the majority.
    (0)
    /人 ‿‿ 人\

Character
    Ferocity
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Would be nice, but I think they would need to make fishing more appealing to the average player first.
    Probably less than 1% of all players actually fish, which makes developing these kinds of things a "waste of time" in the eyes of the majority.
    I agree, although I think they are working on revamping fishing system. So this could go along nicely with it. I think what they should also do to revamp it is have some really nice recipes that use fish that will make it worth the time. Also maybe have a system where turning in the fish to obtain other items would be good.

That would help add value to fishing as well as avoid SE's worry of adding too much Gil to the server by people NPCing for money
    (1)

Maybe they could add a quest in one of the main cities where you turn in a number of fish to get a good fishing rod, they could add another rod that won't ever break that is harder to get still.

Maybe add an NPC that you could turn fish into and get (mostly) crap back, that way you could drive people insane fishing years of their life away trying to get the good stuff from the gutted fish.

They should also let you trade fish into the guild so you can get "relic style" gear for fishing, or find it randomly from killed monsters.

All sarcasm aside, they have rods, neck, body, hands, rings, waist, legs and feet not to mention the mog house furnishings. You can get 120 skill, less items, less monsters, target large fish, anglers discernment and a rod that will never break.
    (0)
    Last edited by Redryno; 02-27-2014 at 01:56 AM.

Greetings,

The development would definitely like to add quests for both synthesis and fishing, but at the moment they would like to prioritize other tasks.

In the March version update we have a bunch of fishing-related content planned. First, as previously announced we will be revamping the fishing system. We’ll also be adding fishing objectives to Records of Eminence and you’ll be able to obtain some nice fishing accessories. These objectives have been planned to be casual in nature, so even if you are just starting out as a young fisher, you’ll be able to enjoy it. However, in the future we will be adding even more objectives that should pique the interest of our hardcore fishers!
    (11)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Character
    Aisaka
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Redryno View Post
    Maybe they could add a quest in one of the main cities where you turn in a number of fish to get a good fishing rod, they could add another rod that won't ever break that is harder to get still.

Maybe add an NPC that you could turn fish into and get (mostly) crap back, that way you could drive people insane fishing years of their life away trying to get the good stuff from the gutted fish.

They should also let you trade fish into the guild so you can get "relic style" gear for fishing, or find it randomly from killed monsters.

All sarcasm aside, they have rods, neck, body, hands, rings, waist, legs and feet not to mention the mog house furnishings. You can get 120 skill, less items, less monsters, target large fish, anglers discernment and a rod that will never break.
    While this is true, most of these items are pretty worthless. There are all of 2-4 fish that people actually care to go get, and outside of Ebisu none of the items are huge differences. Currently all of the fishing gear makes unnoticeable differences. Testing has shown most of them to have as low as 1% differences.

I found Ebisu to be extremely easy to make, I wouldn't mind more challenging Fishing exercises. Shaper's Shawl was an adventure, but not really fishing-related as much as just obtained from it.
    (1)
    /人 ‿‿ 人\

Character
    Bananavivi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Crafting specific emotes, can I have it? (and run and geo)
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    We’ll also be adding fishing objectives to Records of Eminence and you’ll be able to obtain some nice fishing accessories. These objectives have been planned to be casual in nature(.)
    "Casual in nature" is also a phrase you guys have used to describe the NM-camping objectives.

So... what are we talking about here? "Find a pirate chart (0/20)?"
    (2)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

I find it pretty funny that the changes come just as I am sort of done (just sort of; there's much still to be done for me). I think I started the quest for the Lu Shang's fishing rod some 6 years or so ago, and December 2013, I finally decided to finish it off.

I fished for the last nearly 8,000 carps I needed (a few stacks from the AH now and then), getting the rod 1st of January. Got my skill up from 45 to 90, and my “Ebichu” just a week ago (well, I got the items 2 weeks ago, but being me, I got the last of two just few hours after the Japanese midnight, on Sunday, so I had to wait a week... that's fun too... wait, no it's not ! !! !).

It's just how things go for me. ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I found Ebisu to be extremely easy to make, I wouldn't mind more challenging Fishing exercises.
    Getting mine took 332 gugrusauruses and 205 liks, totaling at about 10,320,446 gil. Lucky! However, I don't think anyone can say that it's about anything else than a battle against the random. I can't find any challenge in that. None whatsoever, except for perhaps finding anyone who is selling the fish these days...

Lu Shang's was more challenging to get the legit way; a test of patience, limited only by the ridonkulous daily limits (easily bypassed by fishing on another character, but that doesn't feel the same!). I would have liked to fish these as well, but considering the huge factor of luck (and how annoying the fish are to get up), I didn't want to spend the time so I bought them.

Shaper's Shawl was an adventure, but not really fishing-related as much as just obtained from it.
    That “adventure” I think is even more about those ugly random obstacles that I certainly don't want to see more of (and not about fishing, really, as you say). Please, just no. There are some elements to it that I like, but way too much luck-dependencies bloating it up.

I still “have” to get at least 2 of those shawls, and while the log-in campaign conveniently has the bait, I'm not having too much fun with the journey.

Speaking of the log-in campaign, why is the bait so expensive, I wonder? I think if I'll spend all my 16,000'ish log-in points on them, I'll get about 160. That will probably result into about 3 matsya, if I get lucky.

Woo and a hoo. So excited. I can't hide it. =)

Just for the “fun” of it, I wonder how many bait it will take me to get one. I've got about 64 in 278 (23%) cave cheraxes (small sample number, I know, but I'm just a beginner young fisherman after all!). Let's pretend the ebisu-items have about the same chance of being encountered as the shawl, and that I'll get lucky finding one in 250 trades.

That's about 12,500 bait, I maybe guess. In other words: about 60,000 cave cheraxes (and something around 200,000 meatballs (about 20,000,000 gil with current AH-price, not that I buy mine from AH), probably), or 300 days, catching 200 each and every day, which wont happen; even 50 per day is asking a lot, which would make it take a few years with these numbers.

And that's only if I get lucky.

Needless to say, I'm somewhat giddy to see and experience the upcoming adjustments, whatever they may be.

Edit:

Oh and yeah, some accessories/equipment that actually help would be nice indeedy!

Edit the Second:

I'm guessing at least some of the up-coming accessories will have something to do with lowering the amount of fatigue. I'm not sure I will have any use for that. I didn't fish even moat carp until the 'cap' that many times, and even fewer times I'd fish the level 90-100~ fish until that point (it did still happen, occasionally).

I'm hoping (and somewhat guessing) that there will be something more useful, too. Something like, I don't know, something to reduce the liveliness (movement) of the fish (fishing rod).
    (3)
    Last edited by Dragoy; 03-15-2014 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Update bait rate on chera×eses.
    ...or so the legend says.