Character
    Danz
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

Server populations are dwindling

iv taken notice that server populations are a bit low. averaging only around 500 people per server. and this was around 8pm est on a weekend shortly after an update.

i have to say compared to the old days when it was common to see 10k its sickening...
    i still love the game and the new content is great. but finding groups to do anything anymore is becoming a all day task...

is it possible to do a server merger or even better a advertising champagne to get people back or even new people playing. two methods can be done about this

1. Lower monthly fee, this will allow those who want to keep an active account. but budgeting is a bit tight, resulting in playing "free to play" options (or eliminate it entirely and add micro transactions for in game "toys") and become a free to play and explode in population!

2. Free copies that include ALL expansions at no charge, first month free, and still do the normal monthly transactions. this will give people a good reason to at least try it. they have nothing to lose!
    (0)
    Last edited by danz; 02-24-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Character
    Dragomair
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by danz View Post
    iv taken notice that server populations are a bit low. averaging only around 500 people per server. and this was around 8pm est on a weekend shortly after an update.

i have to say compared to the old days when it was common to see 10k its sickening...
    i still love the game and the new content is great. but finding groups to do anything anymore is becoming a all day task...

is it possible to do a server merger or even better a advertising champagne to get people back or even new people playing

a way to go about that is lower monthly fee (or eliminate it entirely and add micro transactions for in game "toys")

another is give away free copies that include ALL expansions at no charge, first month free, and still do the normal monthly transactions. this will give people a good reason to at least try it. they have nothing to lose!
    I don't think SE will merge anytime soon, and I don't support your other suggestions.
    Lowering the monthly fee and/or making it free to play is just one step closer towards the end of FFXI.
    No company would continue a game if they stop making money with it, and micro transactions would just be a surrender to RMTs and would probably not even give a notable return of profit. (Many players just pay so they can play the game they've been playing for years, not so they can be elites.)
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Not until I'm done with competitive camping, please.
    (2)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Microtransactions instead of a monthly fee would make me definitely stop playing forever. I don't disagree that a lower monthly fee could be in place though. Currently, FF14 costs less to play than FF11, even if it is a much more recent game. I guess a good way to do it would be to give us discounts when buying large amounts of game time. Paying for 12 months at a time could give you a 35% discount (including additional character fees), for example. 6 months could give you 25% off, and 3 months could give you 10% off.

I think this would lead to longer subscription periods for sure. Keeping a lot of players for a few months extra would probably make up for the money they lost from the discounts.

I disagree with the numbers presented by the OP though. 10k per server was on the most populated servers, it was by no means anything close to an average. Furthermore, most servers have a lot more than 500 people most of the time. Several servers had over 1500 people online this weekend.

I think something that could actually work, and that is currently done in some other games, is to have an infinite "free trial" where the player can access any content part of the original game release. Naturally, as with the original game, the level cap would be 50. To gain access to the rest of the game, they'd need to upgrade to a real account.
    (0)
    Last edited by Mirage; 02-25-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Character
    Novasilex
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    OP, all I can suggest is transferring servers if you don't have much keeping you on Bismarck. Apparently Odin and Bahamut are the most popular servers but I'm not sure if that's still the case. (also not sure on the NA/EU/JP ratios)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I think something that could actually work, and that is currently done in some other games, is to have an infinite "free trial" where the player can access any content part of the original game release. Naturally, as with the original game, the level cap would be 50. To gain access to the rest of the game, they'd need to upgrade to a real account.
    I approve this idea but I would be cautious of if/how RMT can abuse it.
    (0)

Why does the dream world feel more real?

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Silex View Post
    I approve this idea but I would be cautious of if/how RMT can abuse it.
    The free trial mechanic is currently so locked-down (capped at 30, original areas only, can't bazaar, can't trade, can't AH, can't /shout, can't initiate a /tell) that it's a wonder that legitimate players aren't turned away by it.
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Indeed. They also can't start parties or initiate alliances, iirc.
    (0)

Character
    Presidentobama
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Bismark does have 1000 - 1500. Most servers have 1500 to 2k Last night Raganork server hit 1900. This server and Asura server rock. What SE needs to do are two things. Package xi and xiv in one subscription. In addition I would love it if they let us play ith our friends across servers. Not so much to EXP, but like Delve, Eingher, and other battlefields.

There are a few small servers but Bismark is not one of them.
    (0)

Character
    Danz
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    another /sea all showing 669 at midnight feb 25th
    (0)

Seeing 10k avg ? What, I never remember that lol. Population numbers are only low during NA hours because they are filled with FPS meatheads who like FFXIV because its "pretty." JP times are just fine, which is probably what SE cares about.
    (0)