Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Alexandero
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99

Put me in coach! Fix me first though!

Square, I need you to please help me understand the following story, because I don't get it.

Ok, so my both my RUN and DNC have decent gear. Decided to try something out tonight so I bought two Transcendent Scorpion pops and headed out to Ceizak. I want a fun solo class because I get stuck on COR in parties so it was a toss up between RUN and DNC. Just got a Crobaci +2 today for my RUN so I was feeling pretty cocky.

Dancer went first and was able to keep saber dance up most of the time because he would rarely remove a shadow unless it was a tp move. Took the whole twenty minutes but got him down to 32% before he depopped.

Next the RUN went. Buffed up, called my trusts, popped the Scorpion and proceeded to get the hell beat out of me. I managed to hang in there long enough to get him to 85% but he was landing at least 70% of his hits when Battuta was down.

I know DNC is a solo class but they have a B+ in Evasion, B in Parry, Tactical Parry I, and Evasion III. We have a A+ in Parry, B+ in Evasion, Tactical Parry III and Inquartata. Not to mention Battuta, Phalanx, etc...

Is the Evasion Bonus III that big of a difference? That it avoids more damage with a B+ rating than an A+ Parry, Tactical Parry and Inquartata can? I mean, this was not even a close draw between the two. At this point, there is just no way we can tank anything, just take away the tactical parry and give us some attack bonuses or something... or fix the parry mechanic.

I really love playing RUN but this kind of disappointed me. After +2ing the Great Sword today I had decided to let RUN be the job that I 119. I don't have time to do all of them as it stands, nor do I have the gil. I understand if everything is equal the DNC will outlive me because of the cures, it is a solo class, but it isn't anywhere close. Im getting smacked around on RUN and then eating popcorn while fighting it with DNC. Is there some type of mechanic I am not aware of? Why is my DNC avoiding so much more damage than RUN? Both were in Eminence and the same off pieces so I could keep them as equal as possible. Thoughts? Honestly I would rather you just give us more offensive ability and let us DD. We will never ever get a /yell over a PLD to tank so just let us DD. You guys put all this time into developing this class and its a complete waste, no one plays it. Currently as I am typing this there are 4 99 RUNs online, lol, all in Port Jueno.

Please Square, do something about this class. It is a fun class but it is completely and utterly useless in its current state. We can't DD, we can't tank, we have a couple of support abilities on long CDs. Why even bother creating the job?
    (0)

Character
    Colliex
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    should be subbing whm or rdm on run for the haste, cure3 and cure 4 that's one of your problems, subbing that will allow you to tank 5 times better. However, run SHOULD NOT have to rely on a sub job for cures , SE needs to really fix this. Cures are a important part of tanking.
    (1)

Character
    Alexandero
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I dont know. If Im getting hit that much all subbing WHM or RDM is going to do is empty my mp pool faster. I get two evasion bonuses with /dnc, Im not dying because of lack of cures, Im dying because of the lack of damage avoidance/mitigation. Even if I could get the cures off from WHM or RDM, I will just die with an empty mp pool. The problem isn't our cures, I dont think. The problem is the parry mechanic is different than the evasion mechanic. A DNC has B+ evasion rating, we have a B+ evasion rating. A dancer has Evasion Bonus III, we have Evasion Bonus II when we sub /dnc. A dancer has a B- rating in Parry and tactical parry I. We have a A+ Rating and Tactical Parry III + Inquartata. After all of this.... The dancer avoids more damage. Why? It makes absolutely no sense.

So 1 Evasion Bonus = 20+ Levels of Parry + Tactical Parry II + Inquartata? Huh? What?! This is our problem Square Enix. This.

If we actually "Fenced" aka Parry, then we don't need cure bombs, our regen will work.

Square Enix, what is going on here? Will you please explain respond? Honestly, I think the problem is that they are scared to allow us to actually do what we are supposed to. E.g avoid physical damage via parry. If we avoided more physical damage than a DNC and still mitigated the magic damage like we do we would be... like a PLD.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alexandero; 02-22-2014 at 12:47 AM.

1) Tactical Parry does nothing to add to your parry rate; it just gives you TP when you parry.

2) Dnc has Tactical Parry IV, vs Run's Tactical Parry III, anyway.

3) Run gets 26 more parry from skill than Dnc does. If it's similar to shield, that translates to about +5% parry rate. It's unlikely that actual damage reduction will be higher than about 6% due solely to the skill difference.

4) Factoring in Inquartata, total damage reduction may possibly be about 20%.

5) Dnc has Evasion Bonus IV, not III.

6) Dnc thus has 26 more evasion than Run/dnc would. That translates into 13% higher evasion rate (assuming you're not hitting caps), which in turn can reduce total damage taken by as much as a 40%, depending on how close to cap you are.

7) You mentioned the mob removing a shadow when you went as Dnc; that means you were Dnc/nin. Utsusemi is obviously hugely useful in preventing damage.

8) Dnc's Waltzes (with newest gear) heal about twice as much HP as the /dnc versions. EG: Curing Waltz III heals me for over 700 as Dnc main, vs ~350 while /dnc. A /dnc job will burn through their TP far faster than Dnc main will, making it unsupportable if you're taking too much damage (such as the damage difference from not being /nin).

Summary: Even without counting the difference in Waltzes, or possible differences in gear used, the evasion difference plus shadows can easily lead to having your Run take at least 2.5x as much damage as your Dnc.

Consider trying again as Run/nin just to see how the damage taken compares (assuming you're using Trust NPCs as healers anyway, there shouldn't be a significant difference due to self-healing).

I would agree with the assessment that SE needs to boost Run's parry rate, though. If it's intended as a tank, it should be reasonable to expect at least a 40% reduction in damage taken due to its primary defense -- parry. Inquartata should thus be on a scale comparable to Evasion Bonus.

A Thf's Evasion Bonus is +60, which is -30% hit rate (aside from caps). A Run's parry rate will never hit the 80% cap that a Thf could with evasion, but a tank is used in situations where you wouldn't be getting off the evasion floor anyway. +30% parry from Inquartata would thus be in line with that, but without getting the extremely high reduction values you'd see if you were pushing close to the 80% cap.

Thus the suggestion would be that Inquartata should at least go up to +30%, to be comparable to a Thf's evasion bonus, or the damage reduction of a Pld using a shield.
    (3)

Character
    Alexandero
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Thanks Motenten for explaining that. You're the bomb. I was just going off of wiki on passives so I probably had them wrong. What you said makes sense. Hopefully they will get us to a better spot because right now I just feel like they wasted alot of effort in creating this job. It isn't desired for anything and I feel pretty useless on it.
    (1)

Character
    Darthmaull
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    The best way I've found to tank with RUN is with /nin. /dnc just can't do it. You will get hit pretty frequently as you have found. The new AF relic legs makes this sub even better. I really feel that because just about all the RUNs that I've come across want this job to DD it's creating this stigma that RUN cannot tank. This recent update has been great for RUN in my eyes. There are so many spells and job abilities available to RUN that it makes it very hard for a mob to take you down in a group setting if you have a competent WHM for those oh S#1t moments. Also with the unannounced mp replenishment with Vivacious Pulse, this job has basically been fixed. Problem is the near sightedness of the player base and the fact that no one plays this job as it's main so they are mainly following others with /rdm, /whm, /dnc and /Sam as the only subs and play style for this job. /nin is not an offensive sub at all. You will be out damaged by another Run with the other subs even if your gear is a little better. I've tried it and I lost Everytime on a parser but I was able to hold hate mainly until the mnk in my group decided to go ape s#1t and try to steal hate. But that was before the update so that may not be possible now.

I just wanted to give my take on RUN so far because when I saw this thread it made me shake my head because /dnc to tank is pure fail.
    (0)

Character
    Eliosha
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    From my experience with RUN... which is a lot.

/rdm is by far "the best," in my opinion.
    +15% FC makes you not only have a 2s SS cast, but always have that recast of it ready whenever it might drop.
    +15% haste from... haste. >_> is invaluable.
    Cure4 is also a godsend... and cure3 too, but I've found that cure4 + Vivacious Pule is more than enough... namely cause VP is a cure3 on a 90s timer... and the goal of RUN, like all tanks, is to mitigate damage... not just heal through it. That being said, it never hurts to have it though.

/nin on the other hand.... is also really good. Not my personal taste.... but it's always a good sub.... and it won't horribly gimp you beyond reason turning you into a joke that dies in 2s cause you can never put SS back up like /sam.
    It gives you..... Utsusemi.
    That's pretty much it.
    Though I guess you can maybe fool around with the ni spells... to... increase your swipe and lunge damage?
    I dunno.
    As I said it's not my thing. I prefer hard tanking (ala PLD) to blink tanking (ala nin) and going /nin changes your setup from a hard tank (as their intent with RUN is... at least that's what they say) to a blink tanker.
    But it costs you ninja tools... and.... I just don't want to deal with that lol
    (Though I guess it helps you when you need a requiescater... and you dual wield swords... but... that's such a limited time for RUN... stick to the GSs...)

/dnc sounds good... on paper, buuuut:
    Your sambas don't work, so no haste... Cause of runes.
    Anything /dnc gives... RUN already has... except dual wield... which... is only useful for RUN when you need to DW swords for Requiescat... so... not that terribly useful.
    And the extra heals are just not efficient... because unlike PLD, RUN uses damage to maintain enmity. And they will cut down on your damage, and thus your tanking ability.

/sam.... is just the worst.
    There are no argument for it.
    It SO severely gimps RUN.... that it's soul-crushingly sad.
    Hasso and seigan sound like they'd be really helpful.... on paper... but that +50% cast time and +50% recast time... just kills RUN.
    RUN lives off of it's enhancing magic... and without it... it dies.
    I once had a LSmate tell me "eh, I have inspiration merited, so that negates it."
    Except it doesn't.
    Sure, you go back to +/-0% casting time.... but with the FC from 5/5 inspiration... you still have +25% recast from Hasso and Seigan... which means your SS/phalanx probably won't not be there for you when you need it...
    And unless you feel like disengaging Hasso and Seigan EVERY time you need to cast a spell (which is a LOT of the time)....
    Basically: It's not worth it... it gimps the job, and trying to make it work is just gonna make you go crazy.

/whm is good for solos cause it gives you -nas... and haste.

But the best two /jobs, IMO, are RDM and NIN.
    And it really just depends on your personal taste which one you choose. (Though I personally feel that RDM is better... if only for haste.)

And as for MP being a "problem"... It's not.
    At least not when you wear the RF1 body.
    And that's why the RF2 body, IMO, is 1 step forward... but 13 steps back.
    Sure it has -6DT (though PLD gets -8 and -9.... and SE wants PLD and RUN to be interchangeable? They gonna need some more... equality for that to ever happen.), but it costs you 2mp auto-refresh.
    And I've seen it time and time again, the RUNs that don't use the RF1 body, hemorrhage their MP as bad as a WHM who doesn't use their AF3+2 legs in endgame.
    To compare, let us look at PLD. To which you might say "they don't need any refresh on their gear to work!" and you are right... because they have the auto-refresh trait and a merit ability that basically can let them go from 0 to full MP with one use.
    The current state of RUN is that of a PLD before lv35: MP everywhere, but not in you.
    That is, unless you use the RF1 body.
    Which is a shame... because I was really hoping that the RF2 body was gonna be useable... but it's not... no more so than Thaumas Coat is anyways...
    RUN needs it's MP, even with keeping refresh on you 100% of the time... that 2 extra MP REALLY make a difference.
    And without that auto-refresh effect... RUN's useability is... very low.
    So either SE can give RUN the auto-refresh trait (not gonna happen), or they can be sure to put -DT AND refresh on the fake-empy body.
    (and does anyone else find that regen+2 on the fake-relic body so insulting? Cause it's not like RUN doesn't have auto-regen+15000000 from the JT... I really hope that that was some sort of clerical error and it should have been refresh+2... but they'll never change it... maybe the 119 will spawn in refresh +1... 1MP/tic refresh should be enough to make RUN stop hemorrhaging MP... but, obviously, 2 would be better.)
    (1)

Character
    Zeich
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    I don't know what "experience" you have with RUN, but so far I've seen a lot of misconceptions that really boggle me to read over. I'll address your points in order, however.

First off, we'll talk subjobs. /RDM is alright for a starting RUN subjob, I'll agree, and for solo it's not bad depending on the situation. Cure IV can be a good clutch cure. As you start your RUN, that extra Fast Cast is useful as well, I won't deny that in the least. But this is only when you're first starting off as RUN, and occasionally when you solo. Otherwise, /RDM is actually a very poor subjob. And it all comes down to one simple ability: Inspiration.

Now you might say, "Inspiration is only 50% FC with 5/5, and you need to cap off at 80% to get the maximum casting time down." Okay, fair enough. So we're 30% short of that cap. Now, let's look at our new legs, the Futhark Trousers. They come with the augment "Enhances 'Inspiration' Effect." I personally did the testing myself to confirm the value of this, which had already been calculated on BG, and I wasn't surprised to find out that the effect of this augment is to add an additional 2% Fast Cast per merit in Inspiration. And the best part is? You only had to wear these on activation of Vallation/Valiance, and the effects would remain regardless of what leg gear you are using on casting, freeing that slot up for a Fast Cast piece if needed. Now at the moment, we're at 60% Fast Cast with 5/5 merits, requiring only 20% more. Our AF1/RF1 (technically the same in this situation) head, the Runeist's Bandeau, comes with 10% Fast Cast on it, so that's 70%. We only need 10% more to cap. On RUN, we have several options to do so:

-For Enhancing Magic, we have Futhark Trousers, which gives -12% casting time on Enhancing spells. There we go, 82% FC, so we've hit our cast time down cap.
    -For non-enhancing magic we've got Orvail Pants (5%, and +1 probably has 6%), Thaumas Gloves (4%), Loquacious Earring (2%), Chelona Boots/+1 (4/5%), Prolix Ring (2%), an augmented Jeweled Collar (1~3%), or Orunmilla's Torque (5%) to fill in those slots.

So in short, /RDM isn't really that useful sub short of clutch cures, providing nothing additional but Haste. If you're in a party situation as a tank, you shouldn't need haste, as it's provided. If you're solo, then go /WHM, which not only provides you the same bonuses you'd get from /RDM (cures and haste) minus some MAB, but also gives you -na spells, Reraise, and Erase as bonus abilities that make it far more substantial as a solo subjob. And let's toss on Divine Seal for those Clutch cures as well, that's always handy. Plus with a native Divine Skill and ilvl weapons with Magic Accuracy Skill, you can land Repose fairly easily on standard mobs. I'm not saying "no you can't play RUN/RDM" - I take it to WoE because I find that being able to consistently stick Blind and Paralyze is useful for soloing some of the annoying baddies like the harpies. It's a niche deal, not really an exceptional one.

Now /NIN is not nearly as bad as you make it sound. Though lacking haste, the amount of Fast Cast RUN can get (easily beating the 80% cast time cap) means you can get up shadows at a quick pace, and already have 40% of the recast time off. Toss on haste or haste/fast cast hybrids and it gets better. Runeist's Bandeau is 10% Fast Cast and 7% Haste. Orvail Pants +1 has an additional 1% haste, and Thaumas Gloves has Haste/Fast Cast as well. Basically, RUN gets a lot of recast/cast time tools available to it in order to make /NIN a great damage mitigation subjob. It doesn't gain any offensive bonuses to it (I literally cannot tell you of any time I've needed to dualwield swords or axes) but it is meant to be a way to mitigate physical damage, which is RUN's biggest weakness at the moment. Granted there are AoEs and such that will still get through it, but this is probably one of RUN's best, if not the best, mitigation subjobs.

Slight edit here: I misread your note on /nin slightly, and misinterpreted the "only provides Utsusemi" as a bad take on the job. We're in agreement that it's a good subjob on this, in truth.

/DNC I will agree is somewhat lackluster. While you have a decent TP gain to fuel your Waltzes and Steps, as well as access to stun with Violent Flourish, it just doesn't bring a ton to the table. If you're burning your TP on healing and status removal, then you're losing damage you could be doing with weapon skills. Dual Wield isn't much again, and while Evasion Bonus is useful in helping you reduce damage taken, shadows from /NIN are better for physical mitigation.

/SAM is a tricky one in my book, and quite frankly would only show up in party combat. In party combat you won't be using your MP to cure yourself or Regen; you'll use it for quick barspell changes, Phalanx, Foil, and Flash primarily. So the casting detriment to Hasso/Seigan really only hits you hard on Phalanx, and even that has a really short cast time. Unless you're getting Dispel spammed, the recast boost won't hurt you on that. The recast on Foil could hurt depending, but that can be mitigated with Fast Cast and Haste gear as well as Inspiration. The main purpose of this sub is to provide a tank as necessary, but otherwise provide a semi-competent DD until that time becomes necessary. With DDs going all-out rush-mode on most opponents, if you even manage to hold hate in the first place, it'll be ping-ponging within seconds. So you're going to be there to do damage, and when something goes wrong and DDs drop, you're there to take hate and tank it while recovery happens. /SAM is not a pure tanking subjob for RUN; it is meant to be a hybrid that can be used in various ways to mitigate unexpected situations.

This is just my take on subjobs, mind you. I'm not the expert, and though I've played RUN frequently since SoA came out and have put a lot of work into the job, I still won't claim to have the pure expertise of someone who has crunched numbers for hours to make something perfect or min/maxed. I mostly use it as a solo job with occasional tanking in a small group. So this is my take on what I've seen work, as well as my thoughts on what I think could work given the situation.

Your second argument is MP not being a problem, but only if you use the RF1 coat. I agree, but only to an extent. A good RUN has multiple sets ready to go, and though it might take up multiple pages of a macro book to cover them, you can be prepared for multiple situations. If something's fodder or doesn't do significant damage your healer can't easily handle, then you are in a full melee set, including the Thaumas Coat you claim is unusable. In fact, most work I do in my Thaumas Coat unless I come to a situation in which I can't support myself solo or my healer can't cover me quickly enough. If you're running low on MP but are still facing fodder, you switch into a TP set that uses your RF1 coat instead of your Thaumas Coat, and though you lose damage you can get some MP ticks back up and then switch back into your melee set. If you see a big hit coming, switch to your DT set using your RF2 coat long enough to tank the hit and then switch back into the appropriate set for the situation.

A lot of your argument here seems to hinge on being stuck in one set of equipment without swapping it out frequently. And before someone goes "omgblinking," <stal> and <stpt> exist to counter that. RUN is a versatile tank and damage dealer if played well, and though it has a ways to go until it can compete on the physical side to match up with PLD, it can do its job through wise consideration of your gear sets, an appropriate subjob for the situation, and knowledge of how to use that subjob to its fullest alongside RUN's varied abilities. This is just my two cents on the matter.
    (4)
    Last edited by Kensagaku; 02-27-2014 at 12:08 AM.
    [Kensagaku - formerly of Kujata] - http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Valefor/Kensagaku

Character
    Colliex
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    /whm is also a very good sub especially with its assortment of cures, na's and reraise, however /rdm also have a offensive prowless with its MA bonus which helps swipes and lunges. Furthermore /rdm also has convert and you can set one macro that can launch convert and vivacious pulse almost simultaneously I normally do this when I have battuta and stoneskin going. Both subs are very good, but in my opinion, much better than the others. The more SE adds things to run the more shifts there will be in sub jobs, if run gets haste and cures, /pld might also be a viable option
    (0)

Character
    Damane
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by FaeQueenCory View Post
    From my experience with RUN... which is a lot.

/rdm is by far "the best," in my opinion.
    +15% FC makes you not only have a 2s SS cast, but always have that recast of it ready whenever it might drop.
    +15% haste from... haste. >_> is invaluable.
    Cure4 is also a godsend... and cure3 too, but I've found that cure4 + Vivacious Pule is more than enough... namely cause VP is a cure3 on a 90s timer... and the goal of RUN, like all tanks, is to mitigate damage... not just heal through it. That being said, it never hurts to have it though.

/nin on the other hand.... is also really good. Not my personal taste.... but it's always a good sub.... and it won't horribly gimp you beyond reason turning you into a joke that dies in 2s cause you can never put SS back up like /sam.
    It gives you..... Utsusemi.
    That's pretty much it.
    Though I guess you can maybe fool around with the ni spells... to... increase your swipe and lunge damage?
    I dunno.
    As I said it's not my thing. I prefer hard tanking (ala PLD) to blink tanking (ala nin) and going /nin changes your setup from a hard tank (as their intent with RUN is... at least that's what they say) to a blink tanker.
    But it costs you ninja tools... and.... I just don't want to deal with that lol
    (Though I guess it helps you when you need a requiescater... and you dual wield swords... but... that's such a limited time for RUN... stick to the GSs...)

/dnc sounds good... on paper, buuuut:
    Your sambas don't work, so no haste... Cause of runes.
    Anything /dnc gives... RUN already has... except dual wield... which... is only useful for RUN when you need to DW swords for Requiescat... so... not that terribly useful.
    And the extra heals are just not efficient... because unlike PLD, RUN uses damage to maintain enmity. And they will cut down on your damage, and thus your tanking ability.

/sam.... is just the worst.
    There are no argument for it.
    It SO severely gimps RUN.... that it's soul-crushingly sad.
    Hasso and seigan sound like they'd be really helpful.... on paper... but that +50% cast time and +50% recast time... just kills RUN.
    RUN lives off of it's enhancing magic... and without it... it dies.
    I once had a LSmate tell me "eh, I have inspiration merited, so that negates it."
    Except it doesn't.
    Sure, you go back to +/-0% casting time.... but with the FC from 5/5 inspiration... you still have +25% recast from Hasso and Seigan... which means your SS/phalanx probably won't not be there for you when you need it...
    And unless you feel like disengaging Hasso and Seigan EVERY time you need to cast a spell (which is a LOT of the time)....
    Basically: It's not worth it... it gimps the job, and trying to make it work is just gonna make you go crazy.

/whm is good for solos cause it gives you -nas... and haste.

But the best two /jobs, IMO, are RDM and NIN.
    And it really just depends on your personal taste which one you choose. (Though I personally feel that RDM is better... if only for haste.)

And as for MP being a "problem"... It's not.
    At least not when you wear the RF1 body.
    And that's why the RF2 body, IMO, is 1 step forward... but 13 steps back.
    Sure it has -6DT (though PLD gets -8 and -9.... and SE wants PLD and RUN to be interchangeable? They gonna need some more... equality for that to ever happen.), but it costs you 2mp auto-refresh.
    And I've seen it time and time again, the RUNs that don't use the RF1 body, hemorrhage their MP as bad as a WHM who doesn't use their AF3+2 legs in endgame.
    To compare, let us look at PLD. To which you might say "they don't need any refresh on their gear to work!" and you are right... because they have the auto-refresh trait and a merit ability that basically can let them go from 0 to full MP with one use.
    The current state of RUN is that of a PLD before lv35: MP everywhere, but not in you.
    That is, unless you use the RF1 body.
    Which is a shame... because I was really hoping that the RF2 body was gonna be useable... but it's not... no more so than Thaumas Coat is anyways...
    RUN needs it's MP, even with keeping refresh on you 100% of the time... that 2 extra MP REALLY make a difference.
    And without that auto-refresh effect... RUN's useability is... very low.
    So either SE can give RUN the auto-refresh trait (not gonna happen), or they can be sure to put -DT AND refresh on the fake-empy body.
    (and does anyone else find that regen+2 on the fake-relic body so insulting? Cause it's not like RUN doesn't have auto-regen+15000000 from the JT... I really hope that that was some sort of clerical error and it should have been refresh+2... but they'll never change it... maybe the 119 will spawn in refresh +1... 1MP/tic refresh should be enough to make RUN stop hemorrhaging MP... but, obviously, 2 would be better.)
    I like to use /blu often:
    10% haste
    50% defense (Cocoon)
    you can set different traits such as:
    Magic attack
    Attack Bonus
    Defense Bonus
    etc.

Cocoon makes a big difference in damage taken, while giving no penalty (as in Defender from /war) and the traits you can set or pick out are very nice. + you get a okeish haste for 10%, you even get a cure III (wild carrot) but its potency is really lacking for /blu lol. You could even set some killer instincts if you wanted.
    (1)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast