Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Balloon View Post
    For me though, I do find it odd that some of the best gear is gated behind some of the oldest content, especially when the ties between the two are trivial.
    Well level 75 was the cap for many years. You either leave stuff gated behind that old content or you throw the old content away for no reason.

Relic weapons are gated behind Dynamis which is in turn gated behind nation rank missions (need rank 6).
    Mythic weapons are gated behind Assault (need to do all 50 and get Captain rank) and if I'm not mistaken also require completion of Aht Urghan missions plus Einherjar, Salvage, and Nyzul Isle.
    A lot of the coveted equipment comes from the high tier mission battlefields which would require you to clear the initial mission fight.

And really, being in a situation where Monisette won't do business with you makes about as much sense as being in a position where Oboro (RME weapon reforge) and Forri-Porri (plasm exchange) won't deal with you.
    (1)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Crevox View Post
    No, let's not give everyone level 99 jobs. Why does this always turn into a giant exaggeration?
    Because, like completing CoP missions, levelling to 99 is a trivially easy task that nonetheless some people don't want to do.

And no, it's not just about me. I'm in game, in multiple newbie LS, all day long, and there are many people that have this problem. People quit the game over this. The suggestion is to change it so the requirement is not needed, because it would greatly benefit the game if this specific requirement wasn't there, and increase player attachment rate.
    People quit the game over a lot of things. People who don't have the patience to do this trivially easy requirement will find some other reason to quit. Like they couldn't get their Delve equipment. Or they couldn't get their Rem's chapters. Or they just plain found it boring. That doesn't justify every change proposed.

Why are you and everyone else so against change, even if it's positive, or turn it into some over exaggeration? Also, yes, this is all, obviously, an opinion; my opinion, also shared by others. You have your opinion, and I have mine, but why must you and other people continue to call my opinion "dumb" while I am trying to respect and understand yours? Most of the time there isn't even any explanation from people on why it shouldn't be changed, just "do it because that's how it is" or resorting to insults.
    Because we've explained it multiple times. You haven't made any case for why this is a good change. Just "I don't like the content, and I don't think I should have to do it." The same thing can be said about Delve, or XP, or Skirmish, or literally any other piece of content.. The insults are because despite this being explained over and over and over and over and over and over and over again you keep ignoring it and making the same silly assertions.

Please explain to me why I should have to fight Cailimh for the Treasure Hunter +1 belt I want but you shouldn't have to progress through Chains of Promathia missions to get something like Convoker's Pigaches +1.

It's not even a matter of selfishness, because I already did it. I just think, along with many other people, that it would be a positive change for the game. Even if the requirement was changed to something else that would be fine too, if it means you'll stop telling me I want everything handed to me for free. Sticking the Oboro requirement on it seems like a good idea, because it helps to encourage new players to get started on high level content.
    It's fine and dandy that you already did it, but it's a matter of selfishness because it's solely about content that you don't want to be required. Not content you can't do. Content you just don't like.
    (3)

Player
    At least the mission to high level one makes sense though. As does relic, and mythic. There are story reasons as to why that is the way it is.

I just don't think someone would appreciate behind to drag themselves through CoP for gear. The story and even the ring should be it's own reward.

I don't think, at least for me, it's an issue of being lazy or wanting things to be easier. I just really hate the paradigm of having the best gear locked behind old content. For me, that includes relics and mythics.

I think alternate routes should be included, some that may even gate the stuff behind bigger time walls as long as its something that is relevant, because finding help with older stuff becomes a bit harder as the reasons do it dwindle.

I just think it's off putting to new players. I can see WHY they'd do it like that, I can see not wanting old content to be lost forever... But after a certain point you have to let go, or update it to make it relevant (aka dyn).

As for the TH belt example.. I think that's more acceptable because its level appropriate gear locked behind level appropriate content.
    (0)
    Last edited by Balloon; 08-25-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Character
    Seig
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Crevox View Post
    No, let's not give everyone level 99 jobs. Why does this always turn into a giant exaggeration?

And no, it's not just about me. I'm in game, in multiple newbie LS, all day long, and there are many people that have this problem. People quit the game over this. The suggestion is to change it so the requirement is not needed, because it would greatly benefit the game if this specific requirement wasn't there, and increase player attachment rate.

Why are you and everyone else so against change, even if it's positive, or turn it into some over exaggeration? Also, yes, this is all, obviously, an opinion; my opinion, also shared by others. You have your opinion, and I have mine, but why must you and other people continue to call my opinion "dumb" while I am trying to respect and understand yours? Most of the time there isn't even any explanation from people on why it shouldn't be changed, just "do it because that's how it is" or resorting to insults.

It's not even a matter of selfishness, because I already did it. I just think, along with many other people, that it would be a positive change for the game. Even if the requirement was changed to something else that would be fine too, if it means you'll stop telling me I want everything handed to me for free. Sticking the Oboro requirement on it seems like a good idea, because it helps to encourage new players to get started on high level content.
    I don't mean to sound cold but if they are quitting the game because they don't want to do content or put in any effort to get the reward then good riddance. The game is flooded with players that either want everything handed to them, or they want someone to hold their hand through everything. This content is soloable with hp warps all over the place for crying out loud. Did I make quite a big exaggeration? Yes I did. But this is a game that went from taking months just to level 1 job to 75, to a game where you can stand around for a day and go 30-99. They already took the caps off all the fights for you. And you mentioned it is not about selfishness, yet you made it about you by saying YOU already did it. Well new players did not do it. CoP may be an old expansion but it is still an expansion that was made for the players and is still a part of this game we know as ffxi. A huge part about every final fantasy game, including XI, has been about story line. And if new players think the reward is worth it enough in the end, then they will play through the required story line to get to the reward linked to it.
    (3)

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Balloon View Post
    I think alternate routes should be included, some that may even gate the stuff behind bigger time walls as long as its something that is relevant, because finding help with older stuff becomes a bit harder as the reasons do it dwindle.

I just think it's off putting to new players. I can see WHY they'd do it like that, I can see not wanting old content to be lost forever... But after a certain point you have to let go, or update it to make it relevant (aka dyn)
    They've taken quite a few steps to make these all easily soloable, never mind the shear power difference a 99 with 117 gear and trusts would have compared to the content. They've changed most (all?) JP midnight and conquest tally waits to game day waits. Other than knowing what to do (hi2u wiki), there's not all that much that's difficult about any of it anymore. Time consuming, sure. But it's part of a major storyline in FFXI.

Should a new/returning player not be expected to experience that? Specially when you not only get the mission reward, access to other BCs and fights (most of which are outdated or haven't been remade yet, IE ENMs), and a decent storyline, but also the ability to start upgrading yourself to 119 AF/relic/JSE weapons.

I view it all as incentives to do the content, rather than some terrible time consuming gate that forces people to quit out of sheer laziness.
    (2)
    7/10/14

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    They've taken quite a few steps to make these all easily soloable, never mind the shear power difference a 99 with 117 gear and trusts would have compared to the content. They've changed most (all?) JP midnight and conquest tally waits to game day waits. Other than knowing what to do (hi2u wiki), there's not all that much that's difficult about any of it anymore. Time consuming, sure. But it's part of a major storyline in FFXI.

Should a new/returning player not be expected to experience that? Specially when you not only get the mission reward, access to other BCs and fights (most of which are outdated or haven't been remade yet, IE ENMs), and a decent storyline, but also the ability to start upgrading yourself to 119 AF/relic/JSE weapons.

I view it all as incentives to do the content, rather than some terrible time consuming gate that forces people to quit out of sheer laziness.
    Yeah. I agree with that, I mentioned in a previous.post that at 117 it's trivial, I was talking more in general about the paradigm. There's not a lot of examples of it besides perhaps ichor at the minute though. Some assaults where you need 2+ people?

People are free to disagree with me, though. I already am a bit conflicted about whether incentivizng old stories like that is right or wrong. I just feel like incentives could exist without tying it to something irrelevant.

I mean I know if my goal was to get some 119 armour then I'd begrudgingly spam the missions. I don't know if I'd appreciate then as much.

Then again... How few people did wotg before moonshade. I guess that has always existed.

At least there was some challenge there before? It's ease now does make it feel like a bit like a slog rather than a reward. At least requiring some hlvl battles is more challenging.

But people still need to do with for that earring because it's so good and CoP for the rings.

Ambivalent. That's what I am. I certainly think there should be some requirement. I just think the CoP one is a little weird.

All those weird errors are because I suck at phone typing
    (0)
    Last edited by Balloon; 08-25-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Character
    Snk
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    I just read this whole thread & I want back my $14.95 for the amount of QQing in here from people complaining that CoP takes too long to finish. It's even more embaressing that a BST of all things is complaining about this seeing as BST originally was one of the most time consuming jobs in this game to get to 75. :|
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Olor View Post
    No, it can't. I've spent multiple days of playtime working on it. Look, I get that other people like doing missions. That's fine. I don't. I accept having to miss out on the specific rewards from completing those missions. I am not expecting to be given Alexander if I don't do ToAU. I'm not asking for a Raja's ring if I don't do COP. I am asking to be allow to have THE CHOICE to do CURRENT CONTENT that is COMPLETELY UNRELATED.

Honestly whether or not you personally enjoyed the missions is of no interest to me - it's my playtime.

I'm even willing to accept the restriction on AF since it was only upgradeable using Limbus before - but WHY would I be allowed to upgrade my relic to +2 without COP and then mysteriously be locked out of the final step. Look, upgrading my relic (which I got myself and enjoyed getting and had fun unlocking dynamis zones with my friends to get) was what got me to log in and renew my sub.

All you folks making fun of the fact that I'd like to do some relevant content rather being asked to go solo cut scenes (and I have worked on it, and I HATE HATE HATE IT - currently on 3 paths and it is agonizingly boring and confusing because the mission log is USELESS) - do you want me to quit? Cause that's what's going to happen. Maybe you personally don't care, but if the devs keep this up, no one will be left playing except people who did all of this stuff 8 years ago when it was CURRENT - WITH THEIR FRIENDS - HAVING FUN. And now you make fun of people like me that just want to ENJOY the game and play current stuff.

I don't understand why people would be against something that doesn't affect them. If you like doing missions, BRAVO - go do the missions.
    My partner in crime and I did his CoP from start to finish in 3 days. Bam.
    (0)

Character
    Malothar
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Olor View Post
    All you folks making fun of the fact that I'd like to do some relevant content rather being asked to go solo cut scenes
    That line kinda spells the whole thread out IMO. Since you need this completed, does it not make it relevant content? I guess calling it non-current content is sorta accurate, but really, if it's such a major issue, surely there are others in the same position that you could get with, figure it out together, or just pop open the wiki instead of going by the mission logs (really?).

This reeks of the same people who complained about Ergons needing Coalition ranks, something they deemed irrelevant (even though, at least to me, it was beyond clear it would be required..) and felt should be changed. Admittedly, reforged requiring CoP near completion may not of been clear to many, including myself. But prior to reforged, I deemed it's completion worthwhile for Limbus, Sea, Rajas, Apoc Nigh, and the story. So with yet another reason to do it...why not, ya know, do it? Just boggles me.
    (2)
    7/10/14

Player
    Why do people care about arguing against this?

If you liked and did CoP this has no impact on you, if you didn't like it and never did it then this change could let them do new content on main or mules without the hassle of doing boring cut-scenes with no battle content. Someone new that wants to experience this stuff doesn't need to be made to do it, it's a silly req that exists for no reason.

Some of you people argue just to argue.
    (0)
    Last edited by Pixela; 08-25-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 LastLast