Character
    Jinzha
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99

Future Suggestions for the next PUP-DATE

If you have any suggestions for Puppetmaster in the updates to come, you can post here.

Something I'd like to see happen for attachments is:

Have Mana Jammer I and II changed from Magic Defense Bonus to Magic Damage Taken down similarly to how Armor Plates are. These attachments are not necessarily useless right now, but would have a greater effect as MDT instead of MDB.
    (4)

Player
    A bard frame/head
    (0)

Character
    Tetsujin
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Magic Defense Bonus already works like that.

The game takes your total Magic Defense Bonus value and reduces your damage by that percentage. Take a look at Shell and the Magic Defense bonus page on the various Wikis.

Edit: Just to clarify, there *is* a distinction between MDB and MDT, but they function in the exact same way, if I'm not mistaken. Each of the two values are additive to themselves and multiplicative with each other.
    (0)
    Last edited by Tetsujin; 02-21-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Character
    Niflheim
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsujin View Post
    Magic Defense Bonus already works like that.

The game takes your total Magic Defense Bonus value and reduces your damage by that percentage. Take a look at Shell and the Magic Defense bonus page on the various Wikis.

Edit: Just to clarify, there *is* a distinction between MDB and MDT, but they function in the exact same way, if I'm not mistaken. Each of the two values are additive to themselves and multiplicative with each other.
    the distinction is actually pretty big MDB is not a % its a ratio with MAB such as MAB / MDB. MDB starts at 1 so ur +10 makes it 1.1 increasin ur MDB is not nearly as effective in migrating magic dmg as increasin MDT which will effect the final dmg value not just counter act MAB. if the mob has no MAB stat then MDB and MDT will work the same way and when used together are multiplicative and not just additive, but again only in a case where the mob has no MAB stat. i love calculatin magic dmg
    (1)

Character
    Tetsujin
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Great to know! I didn't think about MDB countering MAB.
    (0)

Character
    Annalise
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesahade View Post
    the distinction is actually pretty big MDB is not a % its a ratio with MAB such as MAB / MDB. MDB starts at 1 so ur +10 makes it 1.1 increasin ur MDB is not nearly as effective in migrating magic dmg as increasin MDT which will effect the final dmg value not just counter act MAB. if the mob has no MAB stat then MDB and MDT will work the same way and when used together are multiplicative and not just additive, but again only in a case where the mob has no MAB stat. i love calculatin magic dmg
    That's a little off, too. If the mob has no MAB (Base MAB of 1.00) that doesn't mean that MDB = MDR in terms of reduction. 50% MDR will reduce damage by 50%. 50 MDB (1.00/1.50) will reduce damage by ~33%.

As a matter of fact, MDB always reduces damage by the same percent regardless of MAB. It's in the formula as MAB/MDB but you can also write it as MAB x 1/MDB. The former looks prettier. But what that means is that 50 MDB or the 1/1.50 (aka 2/3) will always reduce damage by 1/3. That's because, similar to everything else in the formula, you would always be multiplying the damage by 2/3 at that part.

Here is an example:

1000 base damage nuke prior to MAB/MDB calculations, no MDR, no day/weather etc:
    Opponent has 0 MAB, you have 0 MDB = 1000 damage
    Opponent has 0 MAB, you have 50 MDB = ~666 (reduced by ~1/3 from 1000)
    Opponent has 75 MAB, you have 0 MDB = 1750
    Opponent has 75 MAB, you have 50 MDB = ~1166 (reduced by ~1/3 from 1750)

So really… 50 MDB will cut damage by 1/3, 100 MDB will 1/2 it, 200 MDB will cut damage by 2/3, etc.
    MDR is always just a flat %. 20 MDR will reduce it by 20%, 50 by 50%, etc.

Having 3 water maneuvers with Mana Jammer 1 + 2 is 90 Magic Defense Bonus. That is going to reduce Magic Damage by ~48% which is near the cap for MDR. So really you won't get much difference.

However, if the automaton were able to get MDR from say… shell… then there would be a bigger difference as they would stack. Shell V + 3 water maneuvers would reduce damage by ~60%
    (0)