Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by bungiefanNA View Post
    Elmer of JPButton had all the patch notes translated from before NA launch on his site, before it went offline. The Internet Wayback Machine probably has it archived.

http://web.archive.org/web/201010161...ton.com/?p=157

http://web.archive.org/web/200908020...ton.com/?p=188
    Oh look, there was a first-party online encyclopedia of game information that got axed years before windowed mode was legitimized.

/sigh
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Well, it was clunky to use, since it wasn't plainly accessible from a web browser, it was only visible inside PlayOnline Viewer, meaning you had to close the FFXI process and drop into POL Viewer to look it up. Had they put it right on their web site like they did with FFXIV, it would have seen more use. Also, from what I remember of it when ti was still online, it was very hard to search and navigate.
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    At this point I'd still be willing to trade "Find the Right Wiki" in for that.
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Iamthatis
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    So I had a moment, and since I've had to deal with J->E translation for YEARS now, and have watched the horror of Large Print Translation Projects That People Thought Could Be Done Cheaply, I decided to get up from my desk and walk over to an actual translator and ask her how much the translation cost ALONE would be.

608 pages, which will be mostly text, since each story will likely have one big picture, all lore intensive, requiring great familiarity with the game and tons of research and...

$6000+ Just for the translation. Admittedly the person I asked is NOT a cut-rate translator (who are used far far far too often). But yeah. She pointed out she could do an entire 13 episode anime series for less than that.

And that doesn't cover printing costs, minimum orders and hordes of other things.

That does give us a good idea of how much it would cost SE and it's interesting, I didn't expect it to be that much. o.o

However, I imagine some of the lore has already been translated since the old Vana Tribunes were translated to english. Also, I could be wrong, but I imagine SE has some on-staff translators that already do XI material such as the Localization team. Regardless, I'd love to see SE have more XI stuff for sale. I waited a week to order those darn nation keychains and when I tried to order them they were all sold out ; ;.

As someone else said, SE take my money plz!
    (0)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3