Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Tennotsukai
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

Annoying Shouts for MNK only DDs.

I feel like someone has to make this post. Mnk is so good. Why can't other jobs be like Mnk when it comes to dealing damage? My favorite job never is shouted for, just Mnk and sometimes RNG (which I'm cool with). I know the same goes for those other jobs like pld, brd, cor, and such, but I am speaking only about DDs. I recollect someone, a blu player, making a graph on BGWiki of how Mnks surpass every other job in dmg. It's something to do with h2h skill being OP.

Perhaps, SE...you can think about buffing some other jobs, so DD takes place of Mnk in shouts and if Mnks think that is unfair, then you may buff them in survivability or something.

This may not be the case in all servers. It's real bad on shiva.
    (10)

Character
    Aoikaminari
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    I agree. Though I think it's more that people only care to get what they perceive as the best jobs possible for their group regardless of whether it's necessary, or if there are other jobs available. I main Rune Fencer and Puppetmaster which are both good enough to get the job done, but fat chance of me getting invited to anything. It's a real shame considering how few people are still playing the game. You'd think that people would be more open to other party compositions instead of trying to build an allstar team. /rant
    (3)

You're just hating on the clearly best and most superior DD in the world.

Okay yah, sarcasm aside, MNK is brutally overpowered. Did you know that Spharai119 have abou 10 more DPS than any other relic weapon? I know it doesn't seem big at first but thats a f**king huge number in terms of DPS from weaponry. The job is significantly overpowered, they wield Senbaak Nagans with each hand and have the delay of dual wielding daggers. I'm exaggerating, but the scary thing is only a little bit lol.

Other jobs are rather strong, but most of them also lack the survivability of MNK due to its huge HP pool, and defensive aspect like counter (which admittedly is nullified on some bosses). While I do not want it nerfed, ever, I think a good hard buffing of other jobs shiny parts would be nice. The gap is there and it is real.

Content is not impossible without MNKs, its just clear where they stick out.
    (7)

Player
    Here's the graph referenced, with the minimalist but effective graph courtesy of Prothescar and horrible but more horrible because of Comic Sans captions courtesy of me:

Shown in the graph above is the base damage growth of all relics as they gain iLvls. The growth scheme of most super weapons matches this; normal weapon growth probably roughly matches these curves as well but don't quote me on that bit.

I think it would be beyond fine for Monk to be a brick poophouse that hit hard and fast compared to everyone else if much mattered for melee in FFXI other than...being a brick poophouse that hits hard and fast. Utility abilities potentially add too much JA delay for the good they do unless they have Berserk or Angon type durations, and high Evasion or similar defenses matter little compared to static defenses like Utsusemi or tons of HP.

It does need to be pointed out that bros have cleared Very Hard Archangels with all kinds of set-ups, so obviously the imbalance isn't game-breaking. Any well buffed melee with a healer who likes looking at his or her FFXI window more than rubbing a nearby cat's tubby can do pretty darn well just auto-attacking evil crotches, using high fTP weaponskills, and maybe casting Utsusemi.

I'd rather see more utility abilities and spells actually have real utility than Monk give up the historical advantages the job has had for a dozen Final Fantasy games, because such a change would enhance the game as a whole. That's a mighty long row for a development bro to hoe, however.
    (2)
    Last edited by SpankWustler; 02-21-2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: The graph looks better centered. Yeah. Really. I spend HOURS sorting pens by colors, yo.

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    That's what crotch catapults are for.
    (1)

Player
    Along those lines, here is a diagram outlining adjustments that could be made to the basic set of jumps to account for JA delay:
    (4)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    MNK was my first job I selected when I first joined this game way back in July 2004. I slogged it through the level grinding system, back when 4000 XP per hour was considered decent, 6000 XP per hour was great, and 10k per hour was amazing. I eventually got it to 75 in October 2005 in King Ranperre's Tomb. I have 7 jobs at 99, and MNK is the only melee job I put serious effort into.

But I agree with the post. I can get in to these groups easily enough, but I'm so sick of fighting among just Monks. I want to fight with Dragoon, or a Dark Knight, or one of those other DD jobs that are now so uncommon that I can't remember what they are (seriously, I'm drawing a blank).
    (3)

Character
    Prothescar
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    If I assume that a) they included martial arts and b) they forgot that hand to hand hits twice per round, I can get hand to hand weapons to be somewhat balanced.

Only problem is, the math would be so horrifically wrong that I'd want to kill myself by ingesting 2 cups of apple seeds.
    (2)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    In delay cap situations, monk's advantages shrink a little. It does appear that SE forgot some major part of the monk math overall, though. MNK has the best or near the best DPS with just Haste. They also have the best or near the best DPS with zerg buffs. They have high survivability against everything and work well as tanks. Their only downside is a lack of healing power relative to BLU or DNC.
    (2)

Character
    Edyth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I agree, but please don't nerf monk. Instead, BUFF every other job besides PLD, SCH, WHM, GEO, BRD, COR, and maybe RNG.
    (2)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast